PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Boost Gauge Riddle

 
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By Sturdevant

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 15 May 2014, 07:54 pm
InfernoGT's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Elyria, Ohio
Posts: 541
Default Boost Gauge Riddle

Whilst gathering parts and information for an upcoming mod and "How-To" I will be writing (Not a typical boost gauge installation), I came across a strange bit of information that raises a question that I cannot find the answer to. So who can solve this riddle for me?

How can people's boost gauges read below -14.7 psi? There are many examples of this. If a perfect vacuum is at 14.7 psi, it should be impossible for a reading that is lower. And there are boost gauges that go to -30 psi. Can anyone shed some light on this more scientific, rather than auto-related question?
__________________
2006 PTGT with 5spd. ~60k miles
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 15 May 2014, 08:17 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,810
Default Re: Boost Gauge Riddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGT View Post
Whilst gathering parts and information for an upcoming mod and "How-To" I will be writing (Not a typical boost gauge installation), I came across a strange bit of information that raises a question that I cannot find the answer to. So who can solve this riddle for me?

How can people's boost gauges read below -14.7 psi? There are many examples of this. If a perfect vacuum is at 14.7 psi, it should be impossible for a reading that is lower. And there are boost gauges that go to -30 psi. Can anyone shed some light on this more scientific, rather than auto-related question?
Pm sent
Busted_PT likes this.
__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 16 May 2014, 04:56 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Louisville, KY, USA.
Posts: 75
Default Re: Boost Gauge Riddle

I think those boost gauges are reading in Inches of Mercury.

Where atmospheric pressure is 29.9 In Hg at sea level.
NitroPT likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 17 May 2014, 01:04 pm
InfernoGT's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Elyria, Ohio
Posts: 541
Default Re: Boost Gauge Riddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturdevant View Post
I think those boost gauges are reading in Inches of Mercury.

Where atmospheric pressure is 29.9 In Hg at sea level.
You're right! I just looked at my boost gauge again. On the positive side its psi, on the negative its in inches of mercury. Thanks for solving it
__________________
2006 PTGT with 5spd. ~60k miles
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 17 May 2014, 01:10 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,810
Default Re: Boost Gauge Riddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGT View Post
You're right! I just looked at my boost gauge again. On the positive side its psi, on the negative its in inches of mercury. Thanks for solving it
There is much more to it and a bit complex as we talked about but that is your partial answer.

__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WANTED SRT Boost Gauge and SRT EGT Gauge. Hiperguy Classifieds: Want To Buy 4 13 Oct 2010 06:15 pm
Boost gauge turbo_pt2003 Exterior & Interior Styling 20 16 May 2009 02:21 am
SRT Boost gauge jingks Turbo Performance 7 05 Sep 2008 07:50 pm
Boost Gauge Gunner Turbo Performance 1 11 Sep 2005 06:01 am
boost gauge anyone? turbotouring General Turbo Discussions 18 31 Jul 2004 12:05 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors