PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Temp Question

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2014, 02:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Temp Question

I'm experiencing a problem with my '03 DC with the temps going up and down.I run along at highway speeds and the gauge sits right in the middle just like normal, but when I get on it hard the temps rise above normal and stay up. If I turn the heater to hot and switch the fan on it goes back to normal. The entire system was flushed, filled and bled of air. I can hear the fan running on the radiator, so what could be the cause of the problem?
Old 21 May 2014, 03:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Temp Question

How many miles? Have you done timing belt/water pump? The water pump may be "tired" and not able to keep up.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 May 2014, 04:24 am
Regular Cruiser

Timing belt, water pump done. Every hose with water running thru it has been replaced.
Old 21 May 2014, 05:27 am
Young Cruiser

my 03 GT will move up past normal if the coolant is a little low when its hot and i sit in traffic for a while, check the overflow bottle to see if its low and the radiator when its cold to see if its to the top. also look at the bottle neck where the thermostat sits, it is bad to leak.
Busted_PT likes this.
Mods/GTS Taillight covers/tinted backup lights/smoked license plate cover/Mopar blow off valve/8k hids/billet fuel door/Amber gold fogs/audio/video/blue pearl shift knob/All blue LEDs inside/Custom made hard pipe and air filter/Airhorn/black Billet upper grille/aluminum floormats/mopar boost gauge/mopar stage 1/Mopar aero kit (ground effects)/Black housing headlights/SRS 2.5' Catback/in channel vent visors/shaved badges/
Old 21 May 2014, 09:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I read of a PT owner in Alaska that had to flush bugs from his radiator fins every year.
You had the inside flushed - are the fins clear?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 May 2014, 09:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Radiator is full, bottle is at the proper level, no leaks around the thermostat housing. I will check the radiator for debris and spray it...thanks guys!
Old 21 May 2014, 09:40 am
Senior Cruiser

First check the simple stuff. It is extremely common whenever the cooling system is serviced to have to 'burp' trapped air pockets for a few days after. It seems that Cruisers are particularly sensitive to this. With the system cool, open the cap and top it off as needed. And like the man said, the recovery tank should be at the "Cold" mark when cool and at the "Hot" mark when warmed up. An air pocket turns to steam and messes with the boiling point. This can overflow the recovery tank then as the system cools, there is not enough coolant to refill the radiator so more air gets drawn back in. Any pressure leak in the cap, gaskets or hoses also compromises the boiling point. If there is a problem right after system service, the "new" stuff should be checked/rechecked.

The temp gauge in the dash is not like an aftermarket gauge that you might install in a pod. The stocker displays a temp averaged over the past few minutes so you don't see spikes and swings immediately. What you see is trends in temps. This is to make the display less alarming but it also makes it less helpful.
Old 21 May 2014, 10:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If your overflow recovery bottle is the original one it is likely waiting to do you a bad turn as age and heat deteriorate that bottle severely. They are about $60 plus shipping new and should be replaced before they fail. Don't ask how I know this.
The new one for my 03 Dreamer ships on Friday. and I wait.
Old 22 May 2014, 10:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thermostat replaced?
rob342 likes this.
Old 23 May 2014, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drturbo View Post
Thermostat replaced?
I would have to agree with replacing the T-stat. Some thermostats even newly replaced ones can lose there thermal action causing engine to run hot. I would recommend a STANT Superstant # 45209. Then follow the careful procedure of changing and adding coolant.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN