Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Alternative 03 Turbo cooling fan with N/A fan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2014, 10:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Alternative 03 Turbo cooling fan with N/A fan

My 03 Dreamer had been wrecked before I got it and had a stock N/A cooling fan, radiator assembly, a/c condensor, transmission cooler installed instead of the Turbo expensive parts.
The car ran and drove fine for 3 months then had an overheat episode and has been benched while I try to get the components mounted correctly and figure out the wiring for the fan.
I did replace the radiator hoses and heater hoses with new ones as well as the PCV valve hose and the coolant recovery bottle and hose assembly.
Today I found a small coolant hose seeping up behind the block about 5 inches long which I will replace tomorrow.

Everything seems to be going together acceptably and I am now at the point of having to wire up the fan motor. The guy who did the previous work did not do me a good turn as he ran the hot to a 15 amp fuse, Radio, in the fusebox which after several months of no problem began to smoke! I disconnected it without damage and pulled his wire job out of the car.

I have planned on using a keyed hot inside the cabin with dual switches for low and high speed legs activated by relays. Easier said than done for an electric novice but I'm going to try it.

The PO had hooked up the wiring to the big plug wires and into the fusebox and no code was activated for the fan.

I tried a temporary hookup free of the original plug harness and got a code for inactive fan right away.

Does anyone have a Turbo fan wiring diagram showing the plug 4 wires and their routing? I have the 3 wire fan grounded to the main ground under the hood as stock.

Any one else out there trying to bypass the crappy factory 03 setup that would like to share with me? Thanks.

If I solve the problem I'll let you know too.

Last edited by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer; 09 Jun 2014 at 10:29 pm. Reason: clarity
Old 07 Jun 2014, 09:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Alternative 03 Turbo cooling fan with N/A fan

Update: Cooling system works great.
Hooked up fan direct to battery in low speed and had no heat problems running around the area for 2 hours in 90 degree weather.
Then added the hi speed fan wire and turned AC on full blast for another couple hours of cruising, local streets, highway, freeway, and even a few juvenile speed bursts from stop and rolling starts, love that Turbo Auto/Stick combo.
Now have to install my switch/switches and cruise.
Still have a code showing for the fan system but am experimenting with a wire to the original big plug to fool the computer.

I added all the factory style air dams around the radiator to direct air through the coolers and core up front and am sure this made a good difference.

Last edited by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer; 07 Jun 2014 at 09:36 am.