Advertisements
MY Poor Cruiser!!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By quicksilverdon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jun 2014, 09:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy MY Poor Cruiser!!

Alright guys, I have a dilemma. My 06 Cruiser is overheating when it is idling. I can turn the heater on and it doesn't overheat anymore but I live in Texas and the heat is already bad enough without adding to it. If I don't turn my heater on my coolant bubbles like there is tomorrow when I turn the engine off. What could this be? My dad is out of town or I would ask him! I really didn't want my first post to be on a bad note
Old 19 Jun 2014, 09:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: MY Poor Cruiser!!

Welcome to the forum.

The most probable cause is that your radiator fan isn't working. There are other things that could cause overheating but the inoperable fan is something we find most often. Do you know if the fan is working?

What kind of mileage do you have? Do you do your own maintenance or have it done somewhere?

Last edited by CREWZIN; 19 Jun 2014 at 09:40 pm.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have my maintenance done at the Dodge dealership. The last time I checked the radiator fan was working. it had 125,000 miles on it. I have only had it since March and only put like 10,000 miles on it because of work.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 09:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The fan is the most likely candidate as Crewzin mentioned.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Jun 2014, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

didnt say7 if it wa a turbo but if its not i agree order a fan from ebay and put it in before you kill the motor
Old 20 Jun 2014, 10:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Until you get it fixed, be sure you have enough liquid in it - use distilled water - you can get it at supermarket for steam irons - when car is cold - hasn't been run for hours, take off radiator cap and fill it to the brim, then add to overflow bottle on passenger side firewall.
Be sure radiator cap is seated well when you are done.
2step likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Jun 2014, 10:53 am
Senior Cruiser

Start with the simple things first before you start replacing fans. The bubbling sound is indicative of low coolant and/or loss of pressure in the system, usually from a failed radiator cap. Top off the radiator like Don suggested (you may have to top off again a second cool down cycle) and then, if the "bubbling" continues, replace the radiator cap. To avoid scalding yourself, be very sure to only top off or replace the cap when the system has cooled down. Also look for leaks on the ground and report back here if you have any. Note that it's normal for A/C system to drip water in the area by the firewall, passenger side. A coolant leak will probably be near the front but can possibly be farther back on occasion.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 02:14 pm
Banned

I know where you are, I'm down the road from you
Old 20 Jun 2014, 03:17 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fta92 View Post
Alright guys, I have a dilemma. My 06 Cruiser is overheating when it is idling. I can turn the heater on and it doesn't overheat anymore but I live in Texas and the heat is already bad enough without adding to it. If I don't turn my heater on my coolant bubbles like there is tomorrow when I turn the engine off. What could this be? My dad is out of town or I would ask him! I really didn't want my first post to be on a bad note
Welcome to the forum from SW Missouri.

As others have said, check coolant levels first. BUT NOT WHEN HOT! Make sure it hasn't been running for a while.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.

Tags
2006, overheating, touring edition