Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 PT Cruiser GT 2.4 Turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2014, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2004 PT Cruiser GT 2.4 Turbo

I have a 2004 PT Cruiser GT with the 2.4 Turbo engine with only 70k miles. The car overheats all the time. I have a limit of about 6 miles before it overheats. In the last month I have had plugs changed, wires, thermostat, temp sensor, and hose off the turbo replaced. It's like they are just replacing crap and hope it cures the problem and tell me it's fixed every time. There is sometimes an error code of a misfire on the #1 cylinder. I don't know if that's related or not.
I have checked the new plugs for any white build up and there is nothing. I have checked the oil and that seems to be fine, looks good, no odd smells, not watered down, and at 1/4 quart low of full. When it does overheat I don't notice any visible leaks(except for the overflow). When it's cold and I put water/antifreeze in it, bleed out the air, I also notice no leaks or wetness on the engine or on the driveway.
What do I need to do to get this fixed?
I like the car and it has TONS of power. I had to pass someone last month on 2 lane highway I stepped on it at 40mph and it throws you back in the seat. I was doing 85 before I even realized it.
Old 29 Jun 2014, 12:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 PT Cruiser GT 2.4 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_Jer View Post
I have a 2004 PT Cruiser GT with the 2.4 Turbo engine with only 70k miles. The car overheats all the time. I have a limit of about 6 miles before it overheats. In the last month I have had plugs changed, wires, thermostat, temp sensor, and hose off the turbo replaced. It's like they are just replacing crap and hope it cures the problem and tell me it's fixed every time. There is sometimes an error code of a misfire on the #1 cylinder. I don't know if that's related or not.
I have checked the new plugs for any white build up and there is nothing. I have checked the oil and that seems to be fine, looks good, no odd smells, not watered down, and at 1/4 quart low of full. When it does overheat I don't notice any visible leaks(except for the overflow). When it's cold and I put water/antifreeze in it, bleed out the air, I also notice no leaks or wetness on the engine or on the driveway.
What do I need to do to get this fixed?
I like the car and it has TONS of power. I had to pass someone last month on 2 lane highway I stepped on it at 40mph and it throws you back in the seat. I was doing 85 before I even realized it.
The cap can cause this, is it new? Need more info, over heating while driving or stopped at the light 6 mile from start up?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 29 Jun 2014, 01:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 PT Cruiser GT 2.4 Turbo

White buildup on plugs was caused by the lead that used to be in gas - you won't see that anymore...
Does your engine fan come on when you put on the A/C?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles