Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Manifold Stains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2004, 04:31 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Manifold Stains

Alright, I did do a search to see what people are using to get the stains off of the front of the manifold. Didn't find anything. It's starting to bug me now [xx(] [:0]
Old 20 Apr 2004, 07:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Is this what you're looking for.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...Terms=manifold
Old 20 Apr 2004, 08:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

What exactly did you do a search on?

Same way with mine...Im thinking Ill just powdecoat it gunmetal

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 20 Apr 2004, 01:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigdogdad

Is this what you're looking for.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...Terms=manifold
Thanks, that be the one.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 20 Apr 2004, 02:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

So is it agreed that so far we think this is just normal road grime which for whatever reason seeks the manifold??
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 03:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SteelBlueGT

So is it agreed that so far we think this is just normal road grime which for whatever reason seeks the manifold??
Yeah, I just sprayed a little "Orange Cleaner" stuff on it and it came right off with an old soft paint brush that I clean my wheels with. I checked the torque and they were all tight.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 20 Apr 2004, 08:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I like the powdercoating idea
Gunmetal
I have the discoloration also.
Interesting thing is that when I removed and replaced the gasket when I installed S1, the gasket was clean and dry.
That manifold should have only air running through it.
UNless the cast aluminum is porous enough to allow oil vapor to settle in the only area that has turbulence along the track.
Kinda like with endocarditis: bacteria settle around a valve leaflet because of turbulence that allows it to settle. Especially when it is generated by an abnormal valve (MVP, bicuspid aortic valve, floppy chorda tendinae). maybe it's the same thing with oil vapors along the gasket seal and have diffusion of oil along the interface between the gasket and manifold and then settles along the base of the runners.
Or, everything I said is complete bullsh-t[]

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 23 Apr 2004, 11:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just looked at mine. I am NOT happy. 5800 miles. Yes,,, there are "stains" from the gasket area upwards. It is definitly oil stains, just scrape off the front of the manifold bolts,,, with your finger, this is not road grime.

After examining the entire manifold joint area I see that "there just ain't enuff boltz". Try to imagine a mere 10 lbs of boost in there... ( ya can do this by trying to blow into a boost gauge with your mouth and havin someone look at it from da front,,,if ya get 3 pounds, your lucky) this is a HUGE amount of pressure in that plenum. Now boost it up to 16 lbs. I'm sorry, but this area is going to leak with the factory supplied bolt pattern. "There just ain't enuff boltz." Add that to over 60 mph + speeds ,,, it blows back up onto the manifold.

IMHO, I believe that we have oil blow by in the turbo seals causeing this problem. That's the only place it could come from.

My Stage 1 kit is on the way. I anticipate installing it the 15th of May (or so). I will be scrutinizing the entire manifold, as i want to port match it all and maybe polish it up a little, while I have it apart.

My 2 centz

George C. Thomas
Old 24 Apr 2004, 06:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Used Goo Gone to clean it up and it looks nice again.[?]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 26 Apr 2004, 02:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mean Green

Used Goo Gone to clean it up and it looks nice again.[?]
Same here and tighned bolts slightly We will see how long this lasts I got my stains at about 8,000 miles originally!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.