Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Misfire 4th cylinder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2014, 03:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Misfire 4th cylinder

Hey guys, so my PT Turbo has encountered a problem... and I'm a little light on cash. My mechanic informed me that the 4th cylinder has a misfire code. He believes that the engine fuel rail, injector, and or plugs will need to be replaced. My question is... How hard and or expensive are these fixes? Also how accessible is the 4th cylinder? According to my mechanic, the 4th cylinder isn't getting enough fuel and there could be scaling in the fuel line, or fuel line rail.
So my questions are.
How do you change the 4th injector/it's location etc?
How expensive and hard will this fix be to do myself?
Is this a common problem with pt cruisers?
Old 16 Jul 2014, 05:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Misfire 4th cylinder

First I would put some Berryman's Chemtol B-12 fuel injector cleaner in it. Best bang for the money. If that doesn't help. Then start the other stuff. You will need to pull the upper intake to change the fuel injector. Plug can be pulled without doing anything but pulling the wire. The one on the drivers side. But replacing all four is the proper thing to do. If the gap it to wide on one it's the same problem waiting on the other three. If the mechanic was any good. I would think he would have to rule out the other possibilities before just throwing a couple parts at it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Jul 2014, 07:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree w/Busted - try chemical cleaner first.
What has been done? I hope you got new plugs and wires.
Is idle smooth?
Intake gasket is more frequent than injector.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Jul 2014, 11:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
First I would put some Berryman's Chemtol B-12 fuel injector cleaner in it. Best bang for the money. If that doesn't help. Then start the other stuff. You will need to pull the upper intake to change the fuel injector. Plug can be pulled without doing anything but pulling the wire. The one on the drivers side. But replacing all four is the proper thing to do. If the gap it to wide on one it's the same problem waiting on the other three. If the mechanic was any good. I would think he would have to rule out the other possibilities before just throwing a couple parts at it.
Thanks for the reply!
My mechanic checked the internals of the car, and found nothing wrong?
Apparently the 4th cylinder isn't getting as much fuel as the other 3 which are running richer. Which is causing a very mild rough idle. I did try some fuel injector cleaner, not much improvement. I used Gunk Fuel system cleaner it's supposed to clean injectors too. He apparently switched injectors wires on the 1st and 4th cylinder to see if the misfire would follow but it did not. So my assumption is that it is the 4th injector still. Anyway to test the injector? How hard would this be to replace myself? Also, my oil light just came on... This is after I added the fuel system cleaner...
Old 20 Jul 2014, 11:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Agree w/Busted - try chemical cleaner first.
What has been done? I hope you got new plugs and wires.
Is idle smooth?
Intake gasket is more frequent than injector.
Tried chemical cleaner
I have not changed plugs and wires, but wires were checked. Switched to see if the misfire would follow but no. Car idles mildly rough, when it does the engine light blinks for a couple of seconds, then drives normally with no knock, no rough idle. The car starts normally and runs normally until the car starts getting hot. I doubt it's the gasket, as I learned from my mechanic the 4th cylinder is running leaner than other 3 cylinders which are running rich. So I'm getting about 8 mpg more or less and it's destroying my wallet. Still thinking its injectors and or a dirty fuel rail. How hard is replacing the spark plugs and wires on the pt?
Old 20 Jul 2014, 01:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Injector or the intake gaskets if only lean on one cylinder. foyer that I'm leaning towards a valve

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Jul 2014, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Injector or the intake gaskets if only lean on one cylinder. foyer that I'm leaning towards a valve
My plan this weekend will be to replace coils, intake gaskets, Spark plugs, spark plug wires and a little bit of engine degreaser to shiny things up. Now I really hope one of those things I replace will be the problem and solution. If not, the answer will hopefully be as simple as paying 200 dollars for pt cruiser injectors.
Wish me luck! Haha
Old 25 Jul 2014, 03:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had the same code. PO3O4 I believe. Replacing injector number 4 and the lower intake manifold gasket fixed it. I have a thread about it somewhere. Check my username and search my posts. On my phone, or I would provide the links myself. I literally did it around a month ago.

Edit:
Here you go, look for my post I made: 2004 Engine misfire and flashing check engine light

Last edited by 4drturbo; 26 Jul 2014 at 06:24 pm.
Old 25 Jul 2014, 08:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravelment View Post
My plan this weekend will be to replace coils, intake gaskets, Spark plugs, spark plug wires and a little bit of engine degreaser to shiny things up. Now I really hope one of those things I replace will be the problem and solution. If not, the answer will hopefully be as simple as paying 200 dollars for pt cruiser injectors.
Wish me luck! Haha
Save money on coil -
1) it usually doesn't need replacing
2) Coil would impact at least 2 cylinders, not just one.

Most misfires are plugs & wires - hope that is your case.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles