Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My GT overheated. Very strange.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Apr 2004, 05:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default My GT overheated. Very strange.

This happened to me last sunday. I drove around on the highway for about 30 minutes. Windows were rolled up and I had the cool air blowing. Not the A/C and not the heater, just cool air. I then drove around for another 30 minutes in the city through local streets, still with the cool air blowing. Then all of a sudden, the temp. light blinked and the needle was in the red hot zone.

I pulled over right away, shut the car off and popped the hood. I noticed that even though the car was off, the anti-freeze tank was shaking. Don't know if this is normal or not.

Anyway, I waited about 5 minutes and decided to keep driving my car to my destination which was only a few blocks away. When I started the car again, everything was fine. The temperature needle stayed in the middle (where it always is) and I haven't had this problem since.

I'm not a mechanic and don't know anything about cars. Any idea why this happened? This probably sounds stupid but could it be that since I was blowing cool air inside (not A/C), I was taking the cool air away from the engine and therefore it overheated? I don't know. I'm just trying to find out if I should bring the PT in for service or just let it go for now.

Thanks in advance.
Old 23 Apr 2004, 05:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Wonder if you have a stuck thermostat.
Check the lines under the car for dampness or if there is any leak.
just a thought.
Thermostat housing is to the left of the radiator, just below the radiator coolant cap.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 23 Apr 2004, 08:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by coolvirus
I noticed that even though the car was off, the anti-freeze tank was shaking. Don't know if this is normal or not.
This was probably as a result of the coolant still boiling into the overflow tank, which can tend to make them shake.

Sounds odd though. How many miles are on the car? Is this a NA or a Turbo? Ever have the water pump or thermostat replaced? If so, there could be air trapped in the block. If not, check for small spots of coolant under the engine near the water pump and/or thermostat.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 24 Apr 2004, 12:19 am
Cool Cruiser

Do a search, I believe there is a bulletin on this. Either a flash or PCM replacement!
Old 24 Apr 2004, 04:01 am
Senior Cruiser

I think what you may find is that the fan quit working and caused the overheating and when you restarted the fan came back to life. Probably some kind of electrical problem!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 24 Apr 2004, 02:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SteelBlueGT

I think what you may find is that the fan quit working and caused the overheating and when you restarted the fan came back to life. Probably some kind of electrical problem!
Exactly what the problem was/is, try this post;
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...ms=overheating
Old 25 Apr 2004, 02:36 am
Regular Cruiser

Mine is a Turbo with 7600 miles. Never had any problems or anything replaced.

It hasn't happened again so I'm not going to bring it in for service but I'm keeping an eye on this. At least I know that some PTs are having this problem and that the there is a PCM fix for it.

Thanks guys.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 05:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

yep, mine has done this 3 times in the last month Did it again today. It's always after shutting off my A/C. Looks like service appt is in order[xx(] I sure hope they have a fix for a S1 PCM with this problem.
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 30 Apr 2004, 02:41 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to spicy pt

Have a friend who has a turbo and had this same problem. Ended up being that the fan quit working. Definitely have it checked out before it happens again...and the outcome is an engine fire. [V]

\'03 DreamCruiser #1040, too many interior and exterior chrome accents to list, orange/white underbody neons, SPICY PT 3BL and plate
Old 30 Apr 2004, 01:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yobiebs

I had something similar happen when I had under 5000 miles on mine. turns out that there wasn't enough coolant in the engine. May want to check your fluid levels. Can't hurt....

The Philadelphia Flyer