PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HOAT or green?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2014, 09:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default HOAT or green?

Recently I had a problem and its fixed I hope but I add regular green 50-50 which is all I can get in local stores. I saw on other threads its not good to use green stuff. Should I get it drained? I have no idea how long I have the green stuff since I dont go to the dealer for awhile since Chrysler closed alot of places. There is a few back now. what can happen if its still in and will changing now be worth it? My PT is 05 turbo 2.4L
Old 06 Sep 2014, 09:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HOAT or green?

Did you add GREEN to the mixture that was already in the cooling system or completely flush the old stuff out before adding it.

Chrysler recommends only the ORANGE HOAT coolant because it won't damage the internals of the cooling system. Others have used different coolant with no problems but it must be done with a clean system. Different coolants might not be compatible with each other and that's where the problem starts.

From "The Basics of Engine Coolants";

You should never mix different types of engine coolants. Each coolant is precisely manufactured with different compounds to have different effects on the engine.

Mixing different types of coolants can have different outcomes. For example, some corrosion inhibitors might lose their effectiveness when mixed with other types of antifreeze. However, there may be cases where mixing two different coolants can cause serious damage, and it’s not worth it to take the risk. Before changing from one type of coolant to the other, it’s best to flush out the old coolant before placing in the new type.
4drturbo likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Sep 2014, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You don't want either.

Just use a modern "yellow" long life antifreeze. This is what most stores sell now anyway. Regular Prestone Extended life antifreeze is compatible with almost all antifreezes that came before and is recommended by Chrysler. The HOAT compatibility designator is not necessarily used anymore. Zerex G-05 is also one of these newer yellow antifreezes.

Don't buy the old Dex Cool, DuraCool or any of the other pink or orange antifreezes. While some of the mechanics on this forum grew up using them, they are now old technology and not near as good as the new stuff. And even though the early PT service manuals say to only use Dex Cool, that's simply because the newer antifreeze did not yet exist.

Also, I recommend flushing your PT's system very well before adding new antifreeze. You never know if anyone topped off your PT in the past with something that did not mix well with the old pink stuff. I've seen lots of salvage cars with orange residue all through the cooling system where the pink stuff was used. The newer yellow long life antifreezes will not leave this residue.

PS: As a side note, all these antifreezes new and old are just ethylene glycol. What makes them different was simply the additives. Originally, the additives in the pink DuraCool were thought to last longer than the additives uses in many traditional green antifreezes. But because of compatibility and other issues, new and better additives were eventually developed. These newer additives are used in the yellow antifreezes of today.

Also, buying 50/50 antifreeze can sometimes by a waste of money. These are just 50% ethylene glycol (plus additives) and 50% distilled water. You can buy distilled water at Walmart or almost any grocery store for about 0.99$ per gallon. It's usually much cheaper to buy one gallon of pure antifreeze and then add an equal amount of distill water to the radiator. For me, I like to run about 60% antifreeze and 40% distilled water. But I live a warm climate.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 06 Sep 2014 at 10:12 am.
Old 06 Sep 2014, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree w/Crewzin.
Get it flushed.
Zerex G-05 is completely compatible and cheaper than the HOAT.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Sep 2014, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Just don't mix them. Use one kind. Follow the Change out intervals. Universal anti freeze is dominating the market. Some of the scenes in the hoat thread are a little misleading. More going on there than is being said. If you mixed them, just drain and flush with water if it looks good. And replace with the brand you can easily squire. I also recommend to use distilled water. Less mineral build up over time. It's cheap so why not! I'm sure the purists around here will disagree. Used it for years. No issues.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 06 Sep 2014 at 10:00 am.
Old 06 Sep 2014, 10:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Just don't mix them. Use one kind. Follow the Change out intervals. Universal anti freeze is dominating the market. Some of the scenes in the hoat thread are a little misleading. More going on there than is being said. If you mixed them, just drain and flush with water if it looks good. And replace with the brand you can easily squire. I also recommend to use distilled water. Less mineral build up over time. It's cheap so why not! I'm sure the purists around here will disagree. Used it for years. No issues.
Agree.
Get the distilled water in gallons at any supermarket for steam irons.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Sep 2014, 11:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelcr3 View Post
Recently I had a problem and its fixed I hope but I add regular green 50-50 which is all I can get in local stores. I saw on other threads its not good to use green stuff. Should I get it drained? I have no idea how long I have the green stuff since I dont go to the dealer for awhile since Chrysler closed alot of places. There is a few back now. what can happen if its still in and will changing now be worth it? My PT is 05 turbo 2.4L

To answer your question, using the green stuff will not hurt your car...simple as that.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 06 Sep 2014, 11:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
To answer your question, using the green stuff will not hurt your car...simple as that.
even if it's mixed with some hoat that was left in?
Old 06 Sep 2014, 12:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Yes, that would...but you said you've been running green for awhile...you never said you mixed different kinds.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 06 Sep 2014, 12:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
The older green antifreeze is actually very hard to find. The last I saw was at a truck stop under some generic brand name. But if you did find some and you mixed it with the pink or orange DuraCool like came in our PT's when new, it would cause the remaining DuraCool to form an orange-looking or black sediment in the cooling system. This tends to clog up the radiator, heater core and possibly some of the the water jacket in the engine. And of course, the result is an engine that will more easily overheat. And the fix can be very expensive.

This was a widely publicized issue shorty after DuraCool first starting being put in new cars by the manufacturers. Both owners and well-meaning mechanics without the technical bulletins from the dealership would add original green antifreeze to these cars to replace lost coolant. And then the cars would overheat and require very costly repairs.

Again, this is very old news from the early 2000's. Since then antifreeze had changed a lot. Almost all modern yellow antifreeze from the well-known makers will be very compatible with Duracool and the old green antifreeze.

But as recommended already, if you don't know the history of the PT, the best bet is to thoroughly flush the cooling system and then add modern antifreeze of your choice. Do this and the discussion about which old style out-dated antifreeze will mix with another becomes a mute point.