PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 GT With 300,000 KMs

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2014, 11:46 am
Young Cruiser

Default 03 GT With 300,000 KMs

Hey guys I was just curious on what I should do with the motor in my GT... I was going to do I complete over haul (new rods and piston) but it looks like it's not in the budget.. So now I'm thinking about just doing head gasket, timing belt, rings, bearings, and rod bolts... Can I get some thoughts on this?

Old 09 Oct 2014, 12:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 GT With 300,000 KMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhitePT View Post
Hey guys I was just curious on what I should do with the motor in my GT... I was going to do I complete over haul (new rods and piston) but it looks like it's not in the budget.. So now I'm thinking about just doing head gasket, timing belt, rings, bearings, and rod bolts... Can I get some thoughts on this?
Whats the condition of the engine?

Have you done:

Compression check
Leak down test
Cooling system pressure check

If so what were the results?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 09 Oct 2014, 12:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

300,000 Kilometers is about 186,000 miles.

Surely the timing belt was changed out at a 100,000 miles (161,000 KMs). So you are likely due to change the belt, tensioner and water pump again. Before 322,000 KMs.

If the rest is okay and engine is running good, I wouldn't do a head rebuild or engine overhaul just for preventative maintenance on a PT. There is a good chance other parts of car are just as worn as the engine. So more than the engine work would likely be required to drive the car indefinitely. And very quickly you are up to a cost where it would be cheaper just to go buy another PT that doesn't have many miles on it.

Again, if the car is running good now, I would schedule the timing belt, tensioner, water pump job and then just continue good routine maintenance and service on the rest. If you research this forum well you can find out which additional parts are likely to break first. And I might consider changing those if I believed the car was likely to last for a long time.
Old 09 Oct 2014, 12:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Whats the condition of the engine?

Have you done:

Compression check
Leak down test
Cooling system pressure check

If so what were the results?
I don't know anything about the car... I'm assuming the timing belt has been done... I'm going to do all the checks you listed before I make any descions

Old 09 Oct 2014, 12:47 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
300,000 Kilometers is about 186,000 miles.

Surely the timing belt was changed out at a 100,000 miles (161,000 KMs). So you are likely due to change the belt, tensioner and water pump again. Before 322,000 KMs.

If the rest is okay and engine is running good, I wouldn't do a head rebuild or engine overhaul just for preventative maintenance on a PT. There is a good chance other parts of car are just as worn as the engine. So more than the engine work would likely be required to drive the car indefinitely. And very quickly you are up to a cost where it would be cheaper just to go buy another PT that doesn't have many miles on it.

Again, if the car is running good now, I would schedule the timing belt, tensioner, water pump job and then just continue good routine maintenance and service on the rest. If you research this forum well you can find out which additional parts are likely to break first. And I might consider changing those if I believed the car was likely to last for a long time.
Im planning on keeping this car for just summer driving from now on... I paid $1000 for the GT and for a 2005 na. I already have the na sold for 1500$... So the GT is my winter project... That's the only reason I was considering doing minor/major work to it...

Old 09 Oct 2014, 12:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I don't know anything about the car... I'm assuming the timing belt has been done... I'm going to do all the checks you listed before I make any descions
"Kool".

Post up the findings and a few of us can give ya an good assessment of what we think.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 09 Oct 2014, 12:48 pm
Young Cruiser

I'm on a budget for the built... I can do all the work myself so it's just a matter of buying the parts.. I'd really like to bring it back shape like it was in its glory day..

Old 09 Oct 2014, 12:54 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
"Kool".

Post up the findings and a few of us can give ya an good assessment of what we think.
That would be great! So off the top of your heads what should I look at besides the motor?

Old 09 Oct 2014, 04:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
That would be great! So off the top of your heads what should I look at besides the motor?
Axles, halfshafts, all suspension bushings, transmission....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Oct 2014, 05:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Axles, halfshafts, all suspension bushings, transmission....
Unfortunately I won't really know how the tranny is for a while... It needs other work before that.. Do you think a trans fluid change is recommended... If so what fluid is best for it?