PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

brake light warning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2004, 10:46 pm
Young Cruiser

Default brake light warning

on a fast acceleration from a stop my brake symbol lights up on the instrument panel as well as the chime sound. does anyone know anything about this? thanks.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 10:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Check the level of brake fluid in the reservoir.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html
Old 27 Apr 2004, 12:46 am
Cool Cruiser

yup it's the low fluid warning

AC
Old 27 Apr 2004, 09:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yup. Caused by pads wearing down. Adding fluid will stop it, but better plan on pads in not too far future. I didn't add fluid, I just put in pads. [?]
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Apr 2004, 12:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

And remember, when you replace the pads you will have to press the caliper piston back into the bore. When you do this you will force the brake fluid back into the reservoir. You will have to siphon some out before you do this or it will overflow.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 27 Apr 2004, 12:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

I just started getting the light and tone on hard acceleration, I've got 34,000 klm's (22k miles), could it really need new pads already?

I don't think adding brake fluid is a real good idea, if it needs fluid something is leaking, adding fluid to compensate for pad wear is a no no.

Old 27 Apr 2004, 01:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cal Cruzer

And remember, when you replace the pads you will have to press the caliper piston back into the bore. When you do this you will force the brake fluid back into the reservoir. You will have to siphon some out before you do this or it will overflow.
Only if you added fluid. I just replaced pads, never added or siphoned fluid - fine for last 40,000 miles or so... (73,000 miles total now).

PianT - my light came on before 30,000 miles. I chose to replace the pads. The old pads were only about 1/2 worn, but I got ceramic pads, and am glad I changed - NO DUST.
I only see 3 choices- 1) live with the ding & light (it'll get worse).
2) put in new pads 3) add fluid. Why is adding fluid a no-no? It went into the brake lines as the pads wore down - not a leak. If you do add, heed Cal Cruzer's warning above - brake fluid will eat paint.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 02:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PianT

I just started getting the light and tone on hard acceleration, I've got 34,000 klm's (22k miles), could it really need new pads already?

I don't think adding brake fluid is a real good idea, if it needs fluid something is leaking, adding fluid to compensate for pad wear is a no no.
Yes you could need brakes already. Many PT's report rapid brake wear. These are heavy cars to stop and it takes a lot of brake.

Second, the brake fluid is not leaking. The reservoir is designed to only hold so much. Once the brake pads wear, more of the fluid is in the brake lines and caliper bore and less in the reservoir. This activates the warning light to advise you that you are getting to the point where you should be thinking of brake pads. There is still wear left on those pads. It is perfectly safe to addd more fluid one time, but be thining about brakes. You don't want to wear the pads down to the steel or you will be buying new rotors too.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come