someone please help

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By quicksilverdon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Oct 2014, 08:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default someone please help

well well i have a 2003 PT GT and the timing belt broke going through town at about 5-8 MPH. It was like someone shut the key off i had the car towed to the dealer and figured although it would cost more they had the proper tools and techs to work on it. The dealer calls me and said they want to do a leak test on the motor befor doing the belt and knowing its a non interference motor and the fact that i was doing a little more than an idle all would be fine. Well low and behold the dealer called back and said the two cylinders are dead and it will need a head replaced(at a cost of 1000.00 plus labor to install on top of the almost 2000.00 to replace all motor mounts,Gates hp timing belt set factory water pump,cam seals,crank seal and new radiator(me supplying parts). I'm bummed because ive read people were doing 2000 rpm and not bent and valves. can anyone make sense of this please
2003 GT Turbo HO,Autostick,Stone White,Stage 1 ECM,Composite Intake,BTG Strut Brace,2004 GT Race pedals,Mopar BOV,VMS 10.2mm spark plug wires,NGK Copper plugs,K&N Drop In Filter,Air Box Mod,Gates Hi-Miler Upper & Lower Blue Radiator Hoses,Gates HP Blue Timing Belt,Clark & Clark Hood Struts color matched to car,PTeazer LED Teardrop Tail Lamps,245/45ZR17 Continental Extreme Contact DWS,Blue Tokiko struts and shocks,Eibach lowering coils front & rear ,Eibach sway bars front & rear,New Moog Lower Control Arms,Hyperflex Master Bushing Kit,Moog Strut Mounts,MB Motorsports Alpina 17x7.5,Mopar sub,AMI billet locking fuel door,2005 GT Stainles BrakeGas and foot Rest peddles,PTeazer Billet Door Sills,Billet emergency handle,EGR rain guards,Air horn,9" shorty billet antenna & a splash of bling
Old 21 Oct 2014, 08:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: someone please help

I would suggest getting another opinion. In my opinion the mechanics at the dealer wants to be on the safe side and replace every possible part of the engine that can be damaged when the timing belt breaks. You might have someone remove the head to see if you really need to replace it. How many miles do you have on it?
UptownSport likes this.
Old 21 Oct 2014, 08:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: someone please help

Make them explain why you need a head.
If valves collided, you replace valves, not the head.
You didn't warp the head, so why a new head?
Make them explain....
UptownSport likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles