Advertisements
03dream cruiser problems

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jabili1979

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2014, 02:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03dream cruiser problems

Hello PT cruiser fans. The PT has always been one of my favorite cars growing up, now that I own one as cool as it is it has been a bit of a struggle to keep reliable. We purchased a 2003 dream cruiser series 2 on craigslist, the car came from Arizona and the bodywork is beautiful no rot. The car is a 2.4 liter turbo with 4 speed automatic with autostick. The car now has 115,300 miles on it, and had 3 owners before me.
Now for the problem, I'll try to keep it short. A few months ago during the summer during inspection the mechanic said he had a problem with the A/C which he said he fixed for us. Also we believe that the heater core is leaking but we haven't gotten to fixing that yet. In the hot summer after stopping at a gas station my car didn't start right away. At first we thought the battery had died, we waited a minute and started right back up no problems. But now it seems to be a constant problem. It seems when the car heats up to the halfway point, after shutting it off and leaving it, the car will stall and buck and misfire. We've gotten a lot of codes out of it. We have tried multiple solutions. Such as replacing the cam position sensor and the crankshaft sensor. We have replaced the O rings on the fuel injectors. We have replaced both the input and output speed sensors, we have cleaned the throttle body. The previous owner had the computer replaced so we seem to think. We have tried many solutions but we still get the same problem. Stalling, engine bucking and sometimes the car won't start at all. We are thinking it could possibly be the computer, the ignition switch or maybe a faulty wire or connection. Hope somebody can help.

One other note- if we put on the a/c the engine idle will change and eventually stall the engine.

Last edited by 03tangerinedream; 05 Nov 2014 at 02:52 pm.
Old 05 Nov 2014, 03:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 03dream cruiser problems

Welcome to the forums.

a few things to try while you wait for the real guru's.

1 do a compression test, could be a dying piston / piston rings / head gasket
2 Pull the Ac harness off, so the clutch wont engage, could be a seizing clutch.
3 i see you replaced a few things, but have you tried just a simple tune up? Plugs,wires, air filter, Possibly coil pack *test it first*

cheers
Old 05 Nov 2014, 04:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

We need the codes you speak of. I would have the battery load tested. Simply because the heat really kills them in Ar. So I've been told. Be good to rule out low voltage. Once we get the codes we can offer better answers.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Nov 2014, 05:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok s the codes we've gotten we know what they all mean but, they are
315, 325,300, 301,302,303,304,201,202,203,204,480,582,586, 594
The more recent codes are 480, 582, 586 these are the ones that I've gotten over the past few weeks I haven't seen a lot of the other ones for a long time. But we have them all written down so I figured I'd list them all.
Old 05 Nov 2014, 05:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tangerinedream View Post
315, 325,300, 301,302,303,304,201,202,203,204,480,582,586, 594
The more recent codes are 480, 582, 586 these are the ones that I've gotten over the past few weeks I haven't seen a lot of the other ones for a long time. But we have them all written down so I figured I'd list them all.

Uhm... i would not drive it in that condition.

codes 301 - 304 and 201-204 Make me wanna say timing belt jump.

Then i see 315 and 325. Failed sensor? <--- where i would start.

Then there is 480 -Low speed on the cooling fan malfunction.
Old 05 Nov 2014, 05:38 pm
Young Cruiser

as you stated in the original topic, why was the AC serviced?
Old 05 Nov 2014, 06:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabili1979 View Post
Welcome to the forums.

a few things to try while you wait for the real guru's.

1 do a compression test, could be a dying piston / piston rings / head gasket
2 Pull the Ac harness off, so the clutch wont engage, could be a seizing clutch.
3 i see you replaced a few things, but have you tried just a simple tune up? Plugs,wires, air filter, Possibly coil pack *test it first*

cheers
Agree with these thoughts, particularly plugs & wires - can't hurt...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Nov 2014, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tangerinedream View Post
p0315, p0325,300, 301,302,303,304,p0201,202,203,204,480,582,586,p059 4
The more recent codes are p0480, p0582, p0586 these are the ones that I've gotten over the past few weeks I haven't seen a lot of the other ones for a long time. But we have them all written down so I figured I'd list them all.
Well I don't think a tun up is going to have much effect on these codes. I'm thinking wiring to these items. Maybe even vacuum leaks on the last two codes. IDN

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Nov 2014, 09:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you might have two separate problems.
I would suggest fixing your coolant leak. You should not be driving the PT Cruiser with an unsealed coolant system. You will have a potential headgasket problem. You should check your radiator fan to make sure its working properly.
2nd suggestion is to see if your cruise control is not working I would check your vacuum solenoid and speed control vent solenoid. You might want to check all the wires going to both solenoids. Check all vacuum hoses.
Old 06 Nov 2014, 01:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

id clear everything and see what comes back