PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Optima Battery

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Apr 2004, 03:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Optima Battery

I installed a yellow top deep cycle battery in the PT to replace the dying oem battery. Was not real easy some sheet metal needed to be notched out under the drivers side fender, and the flange ground off of the battery base on the fender side. Model 51R. Here is a pic of the final product

Old 27 Apr 2004, 03:37 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Looks good Gear_Head! That's what I want to do when I replace my battery.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 27 Apr 2004, 06:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gear_Head

I installed a yellow top deep cycle battery in the PT to replace the dying oem battery. Was not real easy some sheet metal needed to be notched out under the drivers side fender, and the flange ground off of the battery base on the fender side. Model 51R. Here is a pic of the final product
[/IMG]
Just curious is the Optima bigger than the original battery or just different shape causing your mods to be necessary! My Daughter's Neon cables were not long enough to put in an Optima red top!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 07:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SteelBlueGT

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gear_Head

I installed a yellow top deep cycle battery in the PT to replace the dying oem battery. Was not real easy some sheet metal needed to be notched out under the drivers side fender, and the flange ground off of the battery base on the fender side. Model 51R.
Just curious is the Optima bigger than the original battery or just different shape causing your mods to be necessary! My Daughter's Neon cables were not long enough to put in an Optima red top!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 10:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

SteelblueGT, The battery is 1.2 inches longer and 2 inches more narrow. One of the reasons that I chose the 51R was the position of the posts on the battery. When the optima is located forward in the battery holder, the post positioning was very close to that of the stock Battery. That made using the original cables a no brainer. Just some slight repositioning of the angle on the clamps. Notching out the sheet metal was a bitch. I had to use a compressor driven cut off wheel and grinder. All in all I'm satisfied with the installation. If you need any more information you can e-mail me @ my e-mail address in my signature.....
Old 28 Apr 2004, 11:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thank You, not sure what I will do when my battery fails. I sure love Optimas but not sure if it is worth the work to get it into my Cruiser! Ther Optimas in my 87 Mustang ragtop last and last I lost two at about 7 years each!! This is with a car that use to go through batteries every 2 years or less!!
Old 12 May 2004, 10:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 03baggedturbo

Whats an upgrade if you dont have to cut anything.. ha ha..

Looking at your picture I would change it a litte.. what I would do is run the power cable off the terminal to a copper block (they sell them at all stero shops).. or lay the battery on it's side.. does it fit under the intake box you have on now if you lay it on it's side? Then use one of the side terminals to run everything off of.. you could even do a cover for it..

I chose the Optama battery also.. well mine is in my trunk so i just got a battery box from autozone for $15 ran some power wire to the back and bam..

but the thing with these batteries that you might not know.. They are dry cell (wich means they dont have any liqued in them) I did mine because of a couple reasons.. was getting a little wierd having a regular battery in my car.. becuase of fumes.. I heard the new OEM batteries you dont have to worry about it but hay I bought it off my friend that had an S-10 and never put it in .. got it for $50 .. plus the yellow tops charge themselves..

becuase they are a dry cell if you wanted you could mount them sideways, upside down.. ect.. plus they look bad azz.. you will never have a dead battery with one..

With a review like that.. you would think I had some vested interest in the company.. I dont but the guy that owns the company lives in so cal.. I see him at some show.. realy nice guy..

ADAM
Old 06 Jul 2005, 03:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

FYI...

I installed Red top Optima 34R... fits without any mods whatsoever. It fits better than the 51R. Check the measurements!!
Old 06 Jul 2005, 03:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have had Optimas for a long time in my Mustangs and I don't think you are correct in calling them dry cells. My understanding is that they are sealed spiral celled with the wet portion soaked up in some mateial so it can be mounted in any position and there is virtually nothing loose that can leak out. They dont charge themselves ... the yellow tops are deep cycling but need to be charged like any reusable battery. And they dont last forever my experience is around 7 to 10 yrs in my ragtop Mustang in SoCal. They are a very good maintenace free, strong batteries that are worry free and very dependable as well as rugged. I love mine and would not buy anything else if they would fit the PT!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 03baggedturbo

Whats an upgrade if you dont have to cut anything.. ha ha..
but the thing with these batteries that you might not know.. They are dry cell (wich means they dont have any liqued in them) .. plus the yellow tops charge themselves..
you will never have a dead battery with one..
With a review like that.. you would think I had some vested interest in the company.. I dont but the guy that owns the company lives in so cal.. I see him at some show.. realy nice guy..
ADAM
Old 06 Jul 2005, 03:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks for the info It still is not same size as the original battery so I could not tell if it would fit and Optima has not answered by EMail if any of their batteries would fit the PT. So thanks again as I am sure if it fit with the stock airbox on yours it will surely fit with my K&N that takes up less space. I sure did not want it to short out on the body/frame if it was a really tight fit. I had that happen on an old Alfa Romeo and had to buy insulated battery terminals which were a pain.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by deuces_wild

FYI...

I installed Red top Optima 34R... fits without any mods whatsoever. It fits better than the 51R. Check the measurements!!