PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
When Should I Hear Turbo?

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2014, 08:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face When Should I Hear Turbo?

Just a turbo "spooling" question. (This relates to my previous post about turbo whine)
Should I only hear the turbo spooling when under load - as in gear accelerating?
Or, can it be heard when in "park" and merely reving the engine?

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 03 Dec 2014, 10:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: When Should I Hear Turbo?

I really can't hear mine much at all on my PT. It's not near as potent an audio effect as on a big truck.

But on big trucks, where the turbos are often very loud, the whine or jet-like sound begins when the engine is under load. At least this was the case on Caterpillar and large Cummins diesels back in the 1970's and 80's. They didn't do this much while sitting still in neutral unless you floored the peddle. And even then, the sound dissipated as the engine rev'ed up.

What's really cool is that under heavy load, the old Caterpillar diesel turbo would actually drown out the sound of the engine. So all you hear is this really cool jet-like sound. Of course, later you had to go get hearing aids. But it's still one of the coolest sounds there ever was.

Only the Maxidyne diesel turbos whistled all the time. And many Maxidyne engines didn't have turbos back then. So you could easily tell the ones that did. I believe on big trucks, all this is mainly determined by the design of the waste gate or lack there of.

While a great walk down memory lane for me, I don't know if any of this applies to the little bitty turbos on our PT Cruisers.

PS: Did you know there is an actual "thing" where some young guys put aftermarket BOV's on there cars that vent to atmosphere? Their cars make a loud "pisssss" sound every time the engine slows down after boost. I watched some on You Tube. The cars sound like they are passing wind.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Dec 2014 at 10:20 pm.
Old 03 Dec 2014, 10:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Just a turbo "spooling" question. (This relates to my previous post about turbo whine)
Should I only hear the turbo spooling when under load - as in gear accelerating?
The exhaust flow drives the turbo. So anytime your in the gas you will here it spooling.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Dec 2014, 12:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Take you air box or air cleaner assembly out and go for a short drive. Try accelerating on a highway then you will hear it very well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I really can't hear mine much at all on my PT.
PS: Did you know there is an actual "thing" where some young guys put aftermarket BOV's on there cars that vent to atmosphere? Their cars make a loud "pisssss" sound every time the engine slows down after boost. I watched some on You Tube. The cars sound like they are passing wind.
Try actually getting in the power band especially now that you have a STAGE 1 you will hear it!

As for the MOPAR BOV it is very subtle if you had one driving a PT like you do it would barely be audible. Most of the time you can only hear what I call the "Rattlesnake". Very quiet almost not even there. Now if you "buzz" the RPM and back off suddenly on the the throttle than you will hear a loud "HSSSS"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The exhaust flow drives the turbo. So anytime your in the gas you will here it spooling.
Yes but....there are other things that controls the boost so your response is somewhat accurate.

You can hear the Boost @ 1.25 into the video. Only slight boost maybe 4-6 psi?

When the weather get better I will have to make a short blast pass off idle to around 80mph for sound effects.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 04 Dec 2014, 12:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I really can't hear mine much at all on my PT. It's not near as potent an audio effect as on a big truck.

I don't know if any of this applies to the little bitty turbos on our PT Cruisers.
Oh they whine Todd!

cruserdad1976 likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 04 Dec 2014, 10:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You should continue to look over the hoses for any sign of a boost leak. Like you found earlier. This may be why your hearing it so much. Or you got great ears. No screaching your good there.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Dec 2014, 10:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
This is a question id like to know as well I know this is a PT forum but i also have a CHevy Duramax turbo desiel and i have to say I really have no idea when the turbo is kicking in or not
I NEVER EVER hear a whine sound,
and i really cant feel all the much when im pulling a load,
I know itsd a turbo desiel but if I did not know that ---I dont think i would ever knoe that

Even when im driving it with nothing but the truck and i get on it like on the interstate I dont really feel no kick in the seat of the pants now maybe if i had a controler and had a ton more boost ---I have no idea what boost numbers or on a stock desiel anyway.
Old 04 Dec 2014, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The auto draftsman designers and even automotive engineers go to a lot of trouble to make sure you can not hear the engines operation.

I would say get an Ultra Gauge and then not only can you see when you are in boost but also numerous other things as well as see and clear diagnostic trouble codes.

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

UG PT Cruiser
PT Cruiser custom mount

UG Ford Explorer
Ford Explorer Custom Mount

Other custom UG mounting
Custom Mounting
CruiserMike likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 04 Dec 2014, 11:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I must be one of the "young" guys!?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 04 Dec 2014, 12:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I would say get an Ultra Gauge and then not only can you see when you are in boost but also numerous other things as well as see and clear diagnostic trouble codes.

UG PT Cruiser
PT Cruiser custom mount

You keep posting about the mount you made, I might ask you to make me one

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost