Advertisements
Power steering return hose replacement

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2014, 06:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Power steering return hose replacement

Hello again,

Power steering fluid is leaking out on driver side front. Took into Canadian Tire for a quote because I don't have a garage and didn't want to roll around in the slush outside. They said it needs to have the power steering return hose replaced... they quoted me $580!!! I uh... ok I didn't actually intend to get them to do anything I just wanted them to tell me what was wrong.. but this quote seems almost criminal... they do include shampooing, flushing and the part in that quote but seriously?

Anyways.. How difficult is it to replace the power steering return hose or the whole assembly? They quoted on the full part 05272319AL which includes the whole assembly at $110 including the return and pressure hoses. I found that I can order the return line on it's own through NAPA for $70 but, depending on difficulty, I may want to replace the whole assembly for only $40 more.

Can anyone give me an idea how difficult this is to replace? It looks dead simple. The return line is clamped to the rad on one end and screwed into the rack on the other. Unless it's buried behind some part I have to remove to get at it how hard could it be?

Thanks!

Old 11 Dec 2014, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power steering return hose replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Hello again,

Power steering fluid is leaking out on driver side front. Took into Canadian Tire for a quote because I don't have a garage and didn't want to roll around in the slush outside. They said it needs to have the power steering return hose replaced... they quoted me $580!!! I uh... ok I didn't actually intend to get them to do anything I just wanted them to tell me what was wrong.. but this quote seems almost criminal... they do include shampooing, flushing and the part in that quote but seriously?

Anyways.. How difficult is it to replace the power steering return hose or the whole assembly? They quoted on the full part 05272319AL which includes the whole assembly at $110 including the return and pressure hoses. I found that I can order the return line on it's own through NAPA for $70 but, depending on difficulty, I may want to replace the whole assembly for only $40 more.

Can anyone give me an idea how difficult this is to replace? It looks dead simple. The return line is clamped to the rad on one end and screwed into the rack on the other. Unless it's buried behind some part I have to remove to get at it how hard could it be?

Thanks!

Sounds like a loose clamp. The pump is in a tight place and the rack needs to be accessed from underneath.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Dec 2014, 08:39 am
Senior Cruiser

If one is leaking, the other wont be far off. I would do both now to save later.

I too need to do this and have bought the lines but haven't gotten around to it. It looks deceivingly simple but the hardest part will be unscrewing the old lines out of the rack and screwing the new ones on. There is not much room to work at all. Those lines along the turbo piping, go up between the frame and trans and over the rack and kind of screw in from the side slightly rear. The part that screws into the pump won't be too bad, but I would think you might need to remove the cooling fan at the very least to have room to work.

Sounds like Crappy Tire is charging you around 4+ hours to do the job which is probably the book rate. I am sure you can have it done cheaper elsewhere.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 08:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Sounds like a loose clamp. The pump is in a tight place and the rack needs to be accessed from underneath.
The rubber on the lines on my car and my sisters car was cracked and splitting and that's where the leak was on hers. Mine is not leaking yet but I know it is coming. It can also leak from the clamp at the rad nipple, but I suspect the rubber has disintegrated like on the 2 here, since it has also gone through similar Canadian seasons.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 02:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the heads up. I bought the part and I think I'll take a stab at it tomorrow. As long as I can get at connections then I'll make it work.

I should add.. Crappy Tire quoted on just installing the return line with that quote. Says "disassemble and install return hose only".
I guess if i don't think i can get the pressure hose done I could just separate the two just do the return line to at least stop the leak for now and attempt the other later.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 11:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I replaced the return line by separating it out and replacing and clamping it into the old assembly directly on the car. I managed to work my arm up in and around to unscrew it from the rack. There was a tear near the radiator where there was this "U" shaped curve in the hose. This looked ridiculous to me and served no purpose. I assumed that when they provide the part they give you extra hose which you can adjust for the application. When I put mine on I cut the hose down so that it didn't have any unnecessary stress on the hose. I hope I made the right decision. I couldn't see how there would be any movement or expansion there warranting that much extra hose.

Saved myself $350 or more
Old 13 Dec 2014, 12:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

And the satisfaction of doing it yourself? Priceless...
myckee likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Dec 2014, 01:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Well I replaced the return line by separating it out and replacing and clamping it into the old assembly directly on the car. I managed to work my arm up in and around to unscrew it from the rack. There was a tear near the radiator where there was this "U" shaped curve in the hose. This looked ridiculous to me and served no purpose. I assumed that when they provide the part they give you extra hose which you can adjust for the application. When I put mine on I cut the hose down so that it didn't have any unnecessary stress on the hose. I hope I made the right decision. I couldn't see how there would be any movement or expansion there warranting that much extra hose.

The U in the hose allows for the engine to move and not put stress on the rad. The power steering hoses are bolted to the turbo hard pipe, which is connected to the engine. The engine is always pivoting in the engine bay, back and forth, so hopefully you left enough slack to allow the engine to move without pulling the hose off the nipple, or pulling the nipple out of the rad.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 07:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

What about play for lifting engine during motor mount replacement.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 13 Dec 2014, 08:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hmm good points. When I changed my mounts I barely lifted the engine, just supported it. Well if there is an issue at least I know how to replace it quite easily. I wish it came pre formed like other hoses I purchased. Trying to bend it to fit felt awkward. What would you guys do? Just work it back forth until it would bend safely? I couldn't get it back into assembly because it was so rigid.