need some opinions

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2014, 11:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Default need some opinions

I have never stored a car before. We have two cars and I have retired and really can't afford to keep two cars on the road so my 03GT has gone into moth balls with only 89k on the clock. The car is all prepped and covered with a tender on it. My question is......should I start it periodically, if so how often and does it need to come up to op temps?

Thank you for your input
Old 11 Dec 2014, 11:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: need some opinions

Here is a really good in depth article on this from Hagerty:

Car Care Tips - Classic Car Storage | Hagerty Article
Old 11 Dec 2014, 12:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SPEED View Post
I have never stored a car before. We have two cars and I have retired and really can't afford to keep two cars on the road so my 03GT has gone into moth balls with only 89k on the clock. The car is all prepped and covered with a tender on it. My question is......should I start it periodically, if so how often and does it need to come up to op temps?

Thank you for your input
I helps friends and customers store their vehicles for seasonal and other reasons every year. Many "on line" informational are antiquated and generalized but still help with basic information about how to store vehicles. Some things that are not covers as well IMO are these?

I would not recommend starting the car after being stored for more than 6 months unless you intend on driving it for at least 30-75 miles once you have stored it. Also once you do bring it out you should give the complete car a once over and check everything from interior to air in the tires.

The remaining fuel in the system has the potential of making the worst problems when you do store a car. I recommend if possible to either fill the tank completely and use fuel stabilizer or the opposite run the tank near empty and mix a little Marvel Mystery oil with a gallon of fuel and run it until the exhaust just starts to smoke and shut the engine down for storage. The oil will coat all the fuel system parts and will help reduce the corrosive effect of stored fuel. It will make the initial starting after the storage a little more of an effort. But once started and clean fresh fuel is run through the system the engine will run at least how it did prior your storing it.

I am a firm believer in a low amp charge constantly on a battery. max 1 amp constant charge or less. A small solar panel is even better. If you do not have either then disconnect and completely remove the battery from the vehicle. When you are ready to start the engine again first charge and load test the battery before re-installing and using it.
It is also a great idea to do the same battery charge and check before you restart the engine after a long storage period or more then 6 months.

Aside from these things most of the "internet" found information can be followed.

I would however highly recommend that you consult with whomever does your maintenance regularly o your PT Cruiser. After all when you do bring it out of storage unless you are a complete DIY home wrench it may need to go to them prior normal driving habits?
Busted_PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 11 Dec 2014 at 12:17 pm.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 10:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the input guys......that was really helpful