PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ECU disassembly

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2014, 02:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default ECU disassembly

Hello, I went to the junk yard in my quest to find a suitable NGC3 spare ECU for my car. I found one that I believe will meet that requirement, out of an 05 2.0 sxt Neon. It is not the original ECU, but a dealer installed replacement which I believe covers the entire Neon line including srt4, thus making it an NGC3 part.

Anyway, while I do have it now, the problem is that the car was in an accident and the ECU housing is very slightly curved. It works, because I installed it in my 03 turbo PT and it actually fired right up for about 3 seconds before the immobilizer shut it down. I was pretty amazed it ran so smoothly actually, but it did throw a P0129 map sensor code. But the fact that it ran was cool.

So, my question is, has anyone disassembled one of these? Can I swap the guts into another base which is not damaged easily? Any tips?
Old 11 Dec 2014, 03:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: ECU disassembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Hello, I went to the junk yard in my quest to find a suitable NGC3 spare ECU for my car. I found one that I believe will meet that requirement, out of an 05 2.0 sxt Neon. It is not the original ECU, but a dealer installed replacement which I believe covers the entire Neon line including srt4, thus making it an NGC3 part.

Anyway, while I do have it now, the problem is that the car was in an accident and the ECU housing is very slightly curved. It works, because I installed it in my 03 turbo PT and it actually fired right up for about 3 seconds before the immobilizer shut it down. I was pretty amazed it ran so smoothly actually, but it did throw a P0129 map sensor code. But the fact that it ran was cool.

So, my question is, has anyone disassembled one of these? Can I swap the guts into another base which is not damaged easily? Any tips?
It is set in a Gel like substance. Can't say about stand offs or screws. Just where does this mount on that car. Surely not the firewall lol.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Dec 2014, 03:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

hehe no the Neons have the ECU mounted behind the headlight and beside the rad. So even a small fender bender can take it out. It might be good for cooling, but it in every other respect, it sucks. It gets lots of splash on it and all the bracket screws etc get super corroded and like to snap off inside.

Anyway Thanks for the gel insight. Hopefully someone else has some more info as far as how the pcb is mounted and if it all comes apart easily. I have a feeling I might be the guinea pig in this endeavor. lol
Old 11 Dec 2014, 03:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

To answer your question YES!

About 18 months ago. Not much more than what Danny said. It had 4 separate processors as mine was an 05 GT ATX.

There is NO real reason to disassemble except to simply "SEE HOW IT WORKS"!

I highly do not recommend for any reason taking them apart unless you have experience with the repair and more specifically re-sealing a soft gel computer components or systems.

I carefully separated the case of my FWD Performance STAGE 1 PCM for inspection and for detail work. It had been factory sealed from Chrysler/FS and was a tested STAGE 1 unit. I did the detail and inspection knowing full well that I may have compromised the STAG! 1. However it has been run and system DAT Logged that appeared to be in proper running order causing no DTC or engine function faluts.

I must stress again I DO NOT ADVISE this procedure.
Nitro's PT Cruiser

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 11 Dec 2014 at 04:00 pm.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 03:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Ok thanks. Well I guess I will just get to it! lol It only cost $15 so its not a big loss if I bung it up, but I hope I don't!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 04:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Ok thanks. Well I guess I will just get to it! lol It only cost $15 so its not a big loss if I bung it up, but I hope I don't!
May I suggest using grounding techniques as used in computer repair. Also be careful not to disturb the processors in their arrangement. Aside from that your are not going to really see anything unexpected. Looks like a mother board without the board. LOL

To all other members I would say DON'T do this at home! lol

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 11 Dec 2014, 04:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

What I am concerned with is if the drivers portion of the PCB are not making contact with the heat sink because of the bend. However if the back of the board is mated to the aluminum case, by way of a layer of gel, then the bend doesn't matter and I don't need to take it apart.

Without a proper description of the internals, I will have to open it up to ensure it will still be ok.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 04:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The contact between the gel processors and other parts to the body because of the location design mounting area has little heat sink effect of the case itself. Also you may notice that a poorly thought of steel/aluminum case was used to save cost in production of the PCM. The actual first designed PCM by Chrysler were all aluminum. Information as per Chrysler/FS contact person in engineering department.

You would naturally be better to consider a mod less talked about which is the relocation of the PCM.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 11 Dec 2014, 04:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Oh ok well as long as there is enough gel between the pcb and the case, then I don't need to worry about the bent aluminum case.

I had watched a Spanish repair video on you tube where the guy has disassembled the ecu. He is basically trying to peddle his repair manual, and he shows the inside as well as the location of the injector drivers, which is typically a weak spot. He does not show how it is all held together and you can see some what I now know is 'gel' under the driver portion of the board, but I didn't know how thick it is and if the bend would affect the contact of the hot drivers with the aluminum case.

If there is some thickness to this gel, then the bend, which is very minor (I didn't even notice it when I pulled the part), will be inconsequential.

If the entire board encased in gel?
Old 11 Dec 2014, 05:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would like to see the video.
I would like to see pictures of your PCM.

Not sure who or where the idea that the injector drivers are weak aspect of the Chrysler ECU. I belong to a forum that is for EFI/ECU Performance Calibrators and this has never been mentioned before? At least that I could find? But then no one really likes the 1995-2011 Chrysler's antiquated and mod limited dinosaur (dying) PCM anyway. Even Syked does not dedicate premium time to them.

IMO if you are going to all the trouble and posting this thread which will help no one really and the PCM was cheap why not search out one that is not damaged?
1 million PT Cruiser and hundred of thousands in junk yards there are better PCM undamaged out there. lol

Contrary to the opinion that some members have that parts are becoming rare. I would say based on talking to nation wide auto wrecker association and there inventory levels of donor PT Cruisers in their yards, not yet a few more years. And this will be before many get crushed and sent to Asian countries for recycled metals. LOL

The actual issue IMO I see is the retail cost of their PT Cruiser parts that is the underling deterrent for many to seek them out.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN