PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Best plugs???

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2014, 04:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Best plugs???

I have searched all over here and even went through the spark plug sticky and there are so many different brands and types and gaps thrown around over the last 15 years...I just want to know what people have found to be the best plugs and wires to use, and what to gap the plugs to, on an '03 turbo, stage 0. I would appreciate any info you all can share. Thank you!!!
Old 14 Dec 2014, 04:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Best plugs???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineDream76 View Post
I have searched all over here and even went through the spark plug sticky and there are so many different brands and types and gaps thrown around over the last 15 years...I just want to know what people have found to be the best plugs and wires to use, and what to gap the plugs to, on an '03 turbo, stage 0. I would appreciate any info you all can share. Thank you!!!
Some freak over platinums but I run them. Don't want to fool around changing them all the time. The gap has closed up some and should use the later recommendations. Wires are again your choice. I have some stock wires doing well with 100k so take the stock is crap thing as you will. I think any of them is going to do fine. So pick your color. Expect some strong opinions here on this especialy from those that don't mechanic professionally. This subject is like politics. You will get some loyal brand buyers on this one.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Dec 2014, 04:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In full disclosure, I have not changed the plugs on my GT since I got it. I used NKG Iridium plugs on my 2001 Limited but I've read several places not to use these on the PT turbo engine.

The preponderance of guys that seem to know on this forum and several others like the Champion copper plugs for the turbo engines. And I will likely use those when I change mine. I don't particularly like Champion plugs. But that seems to be the right answer in this case. I'm a firm believer that plugs alone will not add anything substantial to an engine. But using the wrong plug will definitely hurt.

Now, let the fight begin!

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 14 Dec 2014 at 04:47 pm.
Old 14 Dec 2014, 04:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
In full disclosure, I have not changed the plugs on my GT since I got it. I used NKG Iridium plugs on my 2001 Limited but I've read several places not to use these on the PT turbo engine.

The preponderance of guys that seem to know on this forum and several others like the Champion copper plugs for the turbo engines. And I will likely use those when I change mine. I don't particularly like Champion plugs. But that seems to be the right answer in this case. I'm a firm believer that plugs alone will not add anything substantial to an engine. But using the wrong plug will definitely hurt.

Now, let the fight begin!
Here is the best analogy given me by a friend. You're going to like this. New plugs can only restore the hp lost to worn plugs. It can't make any. But like you said a plug that is not in specification can sure rob some of it.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Dec 2014, 05:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Here is the best analogy given me by a friend. You're going to like this. New plugs can only restore the hp lost to worn plugs. It can't make any. But like you said a plug that is not in specification can sure rob some of it.
Haha, okay then. I guess if no particular plugs or wires have caused any fires or burned a PT to the ground, then I won't freak out TOO much about it. Thank you so much for the info.

Any idea of what the CURRENT recommended gapping is on these?
Old 14 Dec 2014, 05:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Best plugs???

Handy,
It is the Platinums that you don't want to use with turbos.
Engine runs too hot for them.

Most of the techies on several sites that I frequent, say that the Coppers are just fine for the turbo.
Why pay more, when you are going to change every 50K or so?
Coppers working great on my 2005 GT!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Last edited by soonercruiser; 14 Dec 2014 at 10:29 pm.
Old 14 Dec 2014, 05:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Handy,

Most of the techies on several sites that I frequeent, say that the Coppers are just fine for the turbo.
This must be the "fight" I was hoping not to start, lol!!! I am at least glad to know that neither type of plug has destroyed a car. BUT...WHAT ABOUT CURRENT GAPPING RECOMMENDATIONS???!!!
Old 14 Dec 2014, 05:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineDream76 View Post
This must be the "fight" I was hoping not to start, lol!!! I am at least glad to know that neither type of plug has destroyed a car. BUT...WHAT ABOUT CURRENT GAPPING RECOMMENDATIONS???!!!
0.040. Since gap increases with time, I set mine at 0.038.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Dec 2014, 06:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Handy,

Most of the techies on several sites that I frequeent, say that the Coppers are just fine for the turbo.
The "techies" on many auto forums are following a weird belief about p[platinum started many years ago that never had any empirical facts to back up the claims made by their use in Turbo Engines. Like all spark plug historically some will fail in an engine for various reasons but Platinum in Turbo engines seemed to have gotten an unsupported bad representation.

The spark plug manufactures (engineers) will tell you they are fine for Turbo engines and the ones claimed not to work are still appreciated for use in their guides. Simply put if their were fact to back the claims that Platinum's will not work in a Turbo Charged Engines than the manufactures would have omitted them in their application or discontinued them.

I won't go into the who's who of 1/4 that run Turbo Charged 1000+ HP engines and Platinum spark plugs that you can physically watch them change in the engine in the pit area between runs like any other spark plug of choice.

Although personally because I like the frequent change of spark plugs to keep optimum engine performance I do not run anything I can not gap without cause of concern for damage so simple is better Champion copper tops @ about .042

Frank don't make me go take a picture of how many boxes(dozens) of Bosch Platinum's I have in my garage..

NITRO recommends CHAMPION copper tops spark plugs for PT Cruisers
Busted_PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Dec 2014, 06:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
TRUTH.
I love reading snake oil ads for plugs with 4 electrodes or some other gimmick that promises HP or MPG increases - but don't buy them.
Platinum or iridium plugs may last longer than copper, but more HP? NO.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles