PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
will yer car still go if the turbo breaks

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 21 Dec 2014, 01:53 am
KA9VQF's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Savanna Illinois
Posts: 460
Default will yer car still go if the turbo breaks

Hi,

As some of you know my wife and I have a '05 PT GT Cruiser convertible.

My wife volunteered to go ring the bell for the Salvation Army today with some other folks. Ringing the bell is kinda boring so they decided to talk a bit.

The woman who organizes these kind of events happened by and they were talking about the wife's snazzy car. This gal asked what a turbo was and my wife just said it makes the car go faster and sounds pretty cool.

So she asked 'If it breaks will the car still go?"

Well, the wife didn't know so she asked me and I said yes it will still go just not very well and it would be best if you didn't drive it very far. It could suck all the oil out of the engine and destroy it.

Now, I said this with complete authority, but the truth is I really don't know if a turbo were to fail if the car wouldn't just stop running or if it really would suck the oil out.

So would you folks who actually know tell me for sure if I was blowing smoke up her skirt or if I am right.

Thank ya'll.
__________________
Don't put off until tomorrow what you might be able to put off indefinitely.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 21 Dec 2014, 10:43 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,895
Default Re: will yer car still go if the turbo breaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA9VQF View Post
Hi,

As some of you know my wife and I have a '05 PT GT Cruiser convertible.

My wife volunteered to go ring the bell for the Salvation Army today with some other folks. Ringing the bell is kinda boring so they decided to talk a bit.

The woman who organizes these kind of events happened by and they were talking about the wife's snazzy car. This gal asked what a turbo was and my wife just said it makes the car go faster and sounds pretty cool.

So she asked 'If it breaks will the car still go?"

Well, the wife didn't know so she asked me and I said yes it will still go just not very well and it would be best if you didn't drive it very far. It could suck all the oil out of the engine and destroy it.

Now, I said this with complete authority, but the truth is I really don't know if a turbo were to fail if the car wouldn't just stop running or if it really would suck the oil out.

So would you folks who actually know tell me for sure if I was blowing smoke up her skirt or if I am right.

Thank ya'll.
Well I my humble opinion! I think you were right on. As to the oil It would require that the rear seal be compromised and would loose oil out of the turbo into the exhaust and could eventually end the way you described. In the context of the conversation I think more fear of what may happen if neglected is better than complacency.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04 Jan 2015, 05:05 pm
KA9VQF's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Savanna Illinois
Posts: 460
Default Re: will yer car still go if the turbo breaks

So, I have been talking to lots of mechanics, excuse me, ''automotive technicians'' lately. One is the Corvette guy at a fairly local Chevy dealership another works at the Saab dealership and yet another has an independent shop of his own.

All of these guys have around 20 years working on vehicles that have turbo chargers on them. All of them tell me the same thing.

It depends.

There are a lot of ways for a turbo to fail. Sometimes they just stop turning. The car will still run just not very well. Sometimes the shaft between the hot side and the cold side will snap and again the car will still run just not with much for power.

Sometimes the seal between where the oil lives and the rest of the turbo will fail and you can lose all the oil from your engine.

All agree that the oil seal is the most common and most devastating. So I have an answer for my wife to tell folks when they ask, if that ever happens again.

Thanks to all who gave me input on this.
__________________
Don't put off until tomorrow what you might be able to put off indefinitely.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05 Jan 2015, 10:55 am
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: will yer car still go if the turbo breaks

I think you would get lots of smoke of the oil were being pumped out and you would notice before you ran out of oil.
Be glad the discussions are just "What if?" and not "What happened?"
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05 Jan 2015, 03:20 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,895
Default Re: will yer car still go if the turbo breaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
I think you would get lots of smoke of the oil were being pumped out and you would notice before you ran out of oil.
Be glad the discussions are just "What if?" and not "What happened?"
Not nessarly as it's not being burned in the cylinders. Being blown straight in the exhaust. Might not see it if the car is going down the road in the rear view.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 22 Mar 2015, 05:50 pm
hotrodstills's Avatar
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: fletcher NC
Posts: 1
Default Re: will yer car still go if the turbo breaks

my 03 gt turbo made a sound that i thought was a loose heat shield but it was the turbo. the bearings had went bad and i could move the shaft up down in and out. it ran well enough but didnt have a lot of power.after i replaced it i was shocked at the power it has.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 22 Mar 2015, 05:59 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 15,810
Default Re: will yer car still go if the turbo breaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodstills View Post
my 03 gt turbo made a sound that i thought was a loose heat shield but it was the turbo. the bearings had went bad and i could move the shaft up down in and out. it ran well enough but didnt have a lot of power.after i replaced it i was shocked at the power it has.
That would be a similar example to a resent PT Cruiser owner, member here on this forum and friend. He drove for months and thousands of miles with a froze TURBO PT that had less power then a 60" VW.

Hey Allan its not vw powered any more is it? LOL
__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to: Open the Hood When the Cable Breaks Raven_TN Tech & Performance Forum 23 11 Aug 2014 10:40 am
signal light doesn't work when breaks applied SinglerStudios Tech & Performance Forum 6 24 Jul 2014 07:01 pm
pics of the new breaks on the pt neon95 Canada PT Forum 3 09 Nov 2011 07:43 am
Rear breaks WolfmanG Tech & Performance Forum 9 25 Mar 2011 11:11 pm
squeaky breaks. bigcitypt Tech & Performance Forum 3 18 Nov 2010 05:31 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors