PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 Turbo Lite issue - error codes and died in the road

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jan 2015, 02:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 40
Default 04 Turbo Lite issue - error codes and died in the road

I appreciate all the help I've gotten on this forum over the last 4.5 years. You folks have helped me through multifunction switch issues, headlights and power locks not working, and changing the lower control arm bushings.

Now on to my new issue. The other night the cruiser lost power while my wife was driving it. She pulled over, then restarted it when traffic cleared and drove it a few hundred feet to a parking lot. I drove over and looked it over and drove it around the parking lot - all seemed ok, but the CEL was on. We decided that she would drive it the three miles to get it home. It stuttered a little on her but she made it ok.

I checked the codes and it threw oil pressure and both oxygen sensors. We just got back from a christmas trip and I went out and cleared the codes and drove it a bit. It seemed ok. There was a tiny bit of lag when easing away from a stop when cold, but that didn't seem to be a real problem.

It has popped the oil pressure light a few times, but I haven't gotten a chance to change the oil pressure sending unit yet. Could that have caused an issue like this?

My real concern is that the car isn't worth putting a lot into. It has 120k on the clock and still needs the water pump and timing belt replaced, which costs $1300 in this area. I don't want to dump too much into it chasing a gremlin, but I am unwilling to have my wife at extra risk if it were to die on her again.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jan 2015, 03:15 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: 04 Turbo Lite issue - error codes and died in the road

You're asking 2 questions -
1) Is car is worth it - we can't answer that - $1,300 is HIGH - post where you are, and ask if there are others in your area that got it done cheaper. Is the car in good shape otherwise?

2) The other is the immediate situation. I don't know. I have read that if the oil sensor sends a signal indicating a low enough pressure, the engine will be shut off - I do not know if that is true. It is possible that when engine died, unburned fuel triggered the O2 sensors??
The oil sensor is cheap enough - there are recent threads here about replacing it - get a Mopar one, replace it and see, but you are pushing your luck on the timing belt.
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jan 2015, 03:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 40
Default Re: 04 Turbo Lite issue - error codes and died in the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
You're asking 2 questions -
1) Is car is worth it - we can't answer that - $1,300 is HIGH - post where you are, and ask if there are others in your area that got it done cheaper. Is the car in good shape otherwise?

2) The other is the immediate situation. I don't know. I have read that if the oil sensor sends a signal indicating a low enough pressure, the engine will be shut off - I do not know if that is true. It is possible that when engine died, unburned fuel triggered the O2 sensors??
The oil sensor is cheap enough - there are recent threads here about replacing it - get a Mopar one, replace it and see, but you are pushing your luck on the timing belt.
Thanks for the response. I know $1300 is high - that has come from multiple places. I live in Loudoun County, VA, and I would love it if there were a place to save some $$ on the timing belt. The car is in generally good condition. There is some rust on the passenger side rocker panel since it lived in NY for most of it's life.

I'll see if I can figure out the oil pressure sensor. If that would fix it it would be amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jan 2015, 03:26 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: 04 Turbo Lite issue - error codes and died in the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourlefthand View Post
Thanks for the response. I know $1300 is high - that has come from multiple places. I live in Loudoun County, VA, and I would love it if there were a place to save some $$ on the timing belt. The car is in generally good condition. There is some rust on the passenger side rocker panel since it lived in NY for most of it's life.

I'll see if I can figure out the oil pressure sensor. If that would fix it it would be amazing.
This ought to help:
Oil Pressure Sending Unit Wire
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jan 2015, 03:45 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,895
Default Re: 04 Turbo Lite issue - error codes and died in the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourlefthand View Post
Thanks for the response. I know $1300 is high - that has come from multiple places. I live in Loudoun County, VA, and I would love it if there were a place to save some $$ on the timing belt. The car is in generally good condition. There is some rust on the passenger side rocker panel since it lived in NY for most of it's life.

I'll see if I can figure out the oil pressure sensor. If that would fix it it would be amazing.
Going to have to get out of town to do anything for the price. Notoriously expensive for anything in that area. Got family there. i would do the sensor and go from there. That sensor is a common problem. My opinion any sensor will do as well as oem. These are the highest failure rate in the auto industry. So may as well try something else. That mileage is good. plenty of life left in her.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jan 2015, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 40
Default Re: 04 Turbo Lite issue - error codes and died in the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Going to have to get out of town to do anything for the price. Notoriously expensive for anything in that area. Got family there. i would do the sensor and go from there. That sensor is a common problem. My opinion any sensor will do as well as oem. These are the highest failure rate in the auto industry. So may as well try something else. That mileage is good. plenty of life left in her.
I'm thinking I'll try to get to the sensor. I am pretty handy, so I should be able to do it.

What does the timing belt job cost other places?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jan 2015, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,338
Default Re: 04 Turbo Lite issue - error codes and died in the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourlefthand View Post
Now on to my new issue. The other night the cruiser lost power while my wife was driving it. She pulled over, then restarted it when traffic cleared and drove it a few hundred feet to a parking lot.
Any ideas?
Did the engine quit? Was it running rough before your wife pulled it over? Was the engine trouble light flashing? Sometimes there are clues that comes up before something happens.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jan 2015, 05:32 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,895
Default Re: 04 Turbo Lite issue - error codes and died in the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourlefthand View Post
I'm thinking I'll try to get to the sensor. I am pretty handy, so I should be able to do it.

What does the timing belt job cost other places?
Ya, I bet you can get it done. just don't get crazy over tightening it. You not going to tow the pt with it. Far as the price I've heard of $500 and way up. if your that handy. you might git it some consideration to do the belt.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01 Jan 2015, 07:31 pm
soonercruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,940
Cool Re: 04 Turbo Lite issue - error codes and died in the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourlefthand View Post
I'm thinking I'll try to get to the sensor. I am pretty handy, so I should be able to do it.

What does the timing belt job cost other places?
Mine was $1,200 here in OKCity last year.
And, I had a periodic oil light, that did turn out to be the sensor/switch.
But, that did not give me the symptoms that you are having.
__________________
Frank, aka SOONERCRUISER,

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2015, 08:28 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: 04 Turbo Lite issue - error codes and died in the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Mine was $1,200 here in OKCity last year.
And, I had a periodic oil light, that did turn out to be the sensor/switch.
But, that did not give me the symptoms that you are having.
But Frank, you went to a dealer, correct? Usually dealers are more expensive than independent mechanics....
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Error codes in 2004 Turbo mycar Tech & Performance Forum 0 14 Aug 2014 01:48 pm
error codes turbo bheffner General Turbo Discussions 2 05 Feb 2014 03:27 pm
05 PT Turbo error codes: 0031,0037, 0456, 2074 acuevas PT Cruiser Convertible Forum 10 08 Nov 2010 07:01 pm
PT GT Turbo crapped out, 7 error codes cbohlson General Turbo Discussions 11 28 Feb 2010 08:10 pm
My car died while on the road!!! damilleniumboy Tech & Performance Forum 13 30 Mar 2009 12:03 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors