Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 Turbo Lite issue - error codes and died in the road

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jan 2015, 02:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 04 Turbo Lite issue - error codes and died in the road

I appreciate all the help I've gotten on this forum over the last 4.5 years. You folks have helped me through multifunction switch issues, headlights and power locks not working, and changing the lower control arm bushings.

Now on to my new issue. The other night the cruiser lost power while my wife was driving it. She pulled over, then restarted it when traffic cleared and drove it a few hundred feet to a parking lot. I drove over and looked it over and drove it around the parking lot - all seemed ok, but the CEL was on. We decided that she would drive it the three miles to get it home. It stuttered a little on her but she made it ok.

I checked the codes and it threw oil pressure and both oxygen sensors. We just got back from a christmas trip and I went out and cleared the codes and drove it a bit. It seemed ok. There was a tiny bit of lag when easing away from a stop when cold, but that didn't seem to be a real problem.

It has popped the oil pressure light a few times, but I haven't gotten a chance to change the oil pressure sending unit yet. Could that have caused an issue like this?

My real concern is that the car isn't worth putting a lot into. It has 120k on the clock and still needs the water pump and timing belt replaced, which costs $1300 in this area. I don't want to dump too much into it chasing a gremlin, but I am unwilling to have my wife at extra risk if it were to die on her again.

Any ideas?
Old 01 Jan 2015, 03:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 04 Turbo Lite issue - error codes and died in the road

You're asking 2 questions -
1) Is car is worth it - we can't answer that - $1,300 is HIGH - post where you are, and ask if there are others in your area that got it done cheaper. Is the car in good shape otherwise?

2) The other is the immediate situation. I don't know. I have read that if the oil sensor sends a signal indicating a low enough pressure, the engine will be shut off - I do not know if that is true. It is possible that when engine died, unburned fuel triggered the O2 sensors??
The oil sensor is cheap enough - there are recent threads here about replacing it - get a Mopar one, replace it and see, but you are pushing your luck on the timing belt.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Jan 2015, 03:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
You're asking 2 questions -
1) Is car is worth it - we can't answer that - $1,300 is HIGH - post where you are, and ask if there are others in your area that got it done cheaper. Is the car in good shape otherwise?

2) The other is the immediate situation. I don't know. I have read that if the oil sensor sends a signal indicating a low enough pressure, the engine will be shut off - I do not know if that is true. It is possible that when engine died, unburned fuel triggered the O2 sensors??
The oil sensor is cheap enough - there are recent threads here about replacing it - get a Mopar one, replace it and see, but you are pushing your luck on the timing belt.
Thanks for the response. I know $1300 is high - that has come from multiple places. I live in Loudoun County, VA, and I would love it if there were a place to save some $$ on the timing belt. The car is in generally good condition. There is some rust on the passenger side rocker panel since it lived in NY for most of it's life.

I'll see if I can figure out the oil pressure sensor. If that would fix it it would be amazing.
Old 01 Jan 2015, 03:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourlefthand View Post
Thanks for the response. I know $1300 is high - that has come from multiple places. I live in Loudoun County, VA, and I would love it if there were a place to save some $$ on the timing belt. The car is in generally good condition. There is some rust on the passenger side rocker panel since it lived in NY for most of it's life.

I'll see if I can figure out the oil pressure sensor. If that would fix it it would be amazing.
This ought to help:
Oil Pressure Sending Unit Wire

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 01 Jan 2015, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Going to have to get out of town to do anything for the price. Notoriously expensive for anything in that area. Got family there. i would do the sensor and go from there. That sensor is a common problem. My opinion any sensor will do as well as oem. These are the highest failure rate in the auto industry. So may as well try something else. That mileage is good. plenty of life left in her.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Jan 2015, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Going to have to get out of town to do anything for the price. Notoriously expensive for anything in that area. Got family there. i would do the sensor and go from there. That sensor is a common problem. My opinion any sensor will do as well as oem. These are the highest failure rate in the auto industry. So may as well try something else. That mileage is good. plenty of life left in her.
I'm thinking I'll try to get to the sensor. I am pretty handy, so I should be able to do it.

What does the timing belt job cost other places?
Old 01 Jan 2015, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Now on to my new issue. The other night the cruiser lost power while my wife was driving it. She pulled over, then restarted it when traffic cleared and drove it a few hundred feet to a parking lot.
Any ideas?
Did the engine quit? Was it running rough before your wife pulled it over? Was the engine trouble light flashing? Sometimes there are clues that comes up before something happens.
Old 01 Jan 2015, 05:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I'm thinking I'll try to get to the sensor. I am pretty handy, so I should be able to do it.

Ya, I bet you can get it done. just don't get crazy over tightening it. You not going to tow the pt with it. Far as the price I've heard of $500 and way up. if your that handy. you might git it some consideration to do the belt.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Jan 2015, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: 04 Turbo Lite issue - error codes and died in the road

Quote:

Mine was $1,200 here in OKCity last year.
And, I had a periodic oil light, that did turn out to be the sensor/switch.
But, that did not give me the symptoms that you are having.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 02 Jan 2015, 08:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Mine was $1,200 here in OKCity last year.
And, I had a periodic oil light, that did turn out to be the sensor/switch.
But, that did not give me the symptoms that you are having.
But Frank, you went to a dealer, correct? Usually dealers are more expensive than independent mechanics....