PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 PT Dream Cruiser (Turbo) doesn't move (Transmission / Clutch??)

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2015, 03:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 PT Dream Cruiser (Turbo) doesn't move (Transmission / Clutch??)

I have an 03 Dream Cruiser with 230k on it. I had some Clutch work (both Hydraulic Master & Slave units) done to it about a year ago. That Transmission Shop didn't do a real good job, as I found some loose bolts that they didn't tighten. That MAY have a bearing on this issue.

My Grandson was driving the car last week and it quit! The Gearshift Lever goes into all the Gears, but the car doesn't move. It acts like the Clutch is PERMANENTLY pushed in!

We pulled it home, and I looked into the Hydraulic Clutch Bleeder area. It looks like the Flywheel and associated 'Bell Housing' components are turning with the Engine.

Can anyone give me any other ideas on how to troubleshoot this issue without removing the Transmission?

Thanks, Everyone.
Old 06 Jan 2015, 05:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 PT Dream Cruiser (Turbo) doesn't move (Transmission / Clutch??)

Will the car roll away wit it in gear? Or only in mitral? Any noise when trying to engage the gears or any other time?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Jan 2015, 05:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 PT Dream Cruiser (Turbo) doesn't move (Transmission / Clutch??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
I have an 03 Dream Cruiser with 230k on it. I had some Clutch work (both Hydraulic Master & Slave units) done to it about a year ago. That Transmission Shop didn't do a real good job, as I found some loose bolts that they didn't tighten. That MAY have a bearing on this issue.

My Grandson was driving the car last week and it quit! The Gearshift Lever goes into all the Gears, but the car doesn't move. It acts like the Clutch is PERMANENTLY pushed in!

We pulled it home, and I looked into the Hydraulic Clutch Bleeder area. It looks like the Flywheel and associated 'Bell Housing' components are turning with the Engine.

Can anyone give me any other ideas on how to troubleshoot this issue without removing the Transmission?

Thanks, Everyone.
"IT QUIT" engine or transmission?
Shift cable or Cable bushings on the shifter cable could have failed

Just guesssing but it looks like it was due for a second timing belt maint, do you know if that was done.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 06 Jan 2015, 05:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Busted PT & JoeX:

It has nothing to do with the Timing Belt... the engine runs fine, it just doesn't MOVE. It's as if the Transmission is totally broken!

Although now that you mention it, it does have a small amount of 'noise' coming from it... but it's pretty darned minor. There is NO NOISE when it's shifted, but the Gears 'feel' ok.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Linkage, because I've already checked that and it looks/acts ok. But I'll check it out more thoroughly tonite when I get home.

THANKS for the thoughts Guys... keep them coming!

Bill
Old 06 Jan 2015, 05:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

BTW, it does roll fine... in gear or in neutral.
Old 06 Jan 2015, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds as if the clutch plate is not engaging.
It went abruptly, no warning?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Jan 2015, 08:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
BTW, it does roll fine... in gear or in neutral.
But it shouldn't roll in gear. Assuming ingear it's not rolling away. You either have a input shaft broken or the clutch disk is tore up. I have never seen a pressure plate stick in open position. Oh I didn't mention the timing belt. Didn't think that was in play anyway.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 06 Jan 2015 at 08:32 pm.
Old 06 Jan 2015, 09:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have not had this problem.
Is it possible something in the gearbox broke? That is about the only thing I can think of that would apply to both when the engine is running and not running.
Old 06 Jan 2015, 09:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The center will break out of the disc. Either that or the axle broke.
Old 06 Jan 2015, 11:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm going to go with:

a broken/stripped input shaft
or
broken/stripped clutch disc
or
a broken flexplate (getrag trans uses a flexplate similar to an automatic)
or
blown differential

The broken flexplate or broken clutch disc would be the best case scenarios. The other two mean tearing into the tranny...if you can find parts. It might mean buying a used trans if that is the case from an economical standpoint.

I suppose the dual mass flywheel could have disintegrated too, but less likely.

I would pull the plug and see if you have a lot of metal particles suspended in the trans fluid or even big chunks. That will clue you in to the internal state of the trans.

Last edited by myckee; 06 Jan 2015 at 11:14 pm.