PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question about HP on turbo models

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2015, 01:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Question about HP on turbo models

I'm in market for a 2006 Cruiser with Turbo but am confused about HP rating. Edmunds shows that some models had a 180hp engine and others a 230hp engine. I want the bigger one. Question is: is their a difference in how the models were badged or how else do I tell? Thanks

GabbyT
"Never tell your GF you paid more for rims than her ring"

2001 PT Cruiser purchased new in 2000 for about 6K more than sticker. S-L-O-W-L-Y starting to be turned into a Rat Cruiser. Flat black anyone?
Old 09 Jan 2015, 01:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Question about HP on turbo models

I think I figured the answer to this dumb question but please confirm: the 180hp turbos appear to be Touring or Limited models and the 230 hp are GTs... ????

GabbyT
"Never tell your GF you paid more for rims than her ring"

2001 PT Cruiser purchased new in 2000 for about 6K more than sticker. S-L-O-W-L-Y starting to be turned into a Rat Cruiser. Flat black anyone?
Old 09 Jan 2015, 08:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbyT View Post
I think I figured the answer to this dumb question but please confirm: the 180hp turbos appear to be Touring or Limited models and the 230 hp are GTs... ????
Yes, that correct.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Jan 2015, 08:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

150hp for N/A, 180hp for Limited (turbo lite) & 230hp for GT's.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 09 Jan 2015, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
150hp for N/A, 180hp for Limited (turbo lite) & 230hp for GT's.
Correct.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Jan 2015, 09:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabbyT View Post
What Chrysler did was to take the exact same turbo 2.4L engine (starting in 2004) and then tune it two different ways. The engines are mechanically identical. Only the programming in the ECM is different. The GT needs premium fuel. And the others, called "Turbo Lites" are tuned to run on regular.

Other than this, the GT came with an automatic 4-speed transmission with an "Autostick" shifter and a special 5-speed manual tranny that is different than the 5-speed put in other PT models. The Autostick for the auto tranny works like a paddle shifter for sport applications. The 4-speed tranny itself is basically the same as in other PT's.

As far as I know, all Turbo Lite PT's came with the automatic 4-speed and regular shifter. Some Chrysler marketing material shows the Autostick as available for models other than the GT, but I haven't seen one or read about one online.

Also, both the GT and the Turbo Lite models use an intermediate CV shaft that allows both final CV shafts to basically be the same length. Non-turbo PT's have one long CV shaft and one short one with no intermediate shaft.

There is a lot of discussion on this forum and others about using a GT ECM in a Turbo Lite PT in order to increase the horsepower. And one member posted an article about doing this but there were complications that this member posted on another forum. However, there are custom tunes for Turbo Lite ECM's that will accomplish the same thing. This is a matter of a little contention so I won't go into more detail. But I wanted you to have awareness of this since it's a natural questions to ask when someone learns that the difference in horsepower is only a matter of ECM programing.

PS: Another item of interest is that the 2003 GT did not come with the "high output" version of the engine as seen in later GT's. It also has smaller fuel injectors. And there was no "Turbo Lite" in 2003. But the 2003 GT engine can be easily upgraded with the addition of the larger injector as used on later turbo PT's and a Stage 1 ECM. Chrysler/Mopar specifically made a kit to do this. Mopar Stage 1 kits (containing only a performance ECM) were also available for later GT's through 2007, I believe. These are not available from Chrysler anymore but authorized reprogrammed Mopar Stage 1 ECM's are available from a third-part vendor. Additionally, custom-tuned performance ECM's are available from a number of vendors.
hotrodstills likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 Jan 2015 at 10:54 am.
Old 09 Jan 2015, 10:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Todd, I believe you are wrong when you said the engines are mechanically identical. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Chrysler beefed up the internals including the bottom end of the 2.4ltr engine if they were going to have either of the turbo's installed (lite and GT) so they could take the extra boost.
Old 09 Jan 2015, 10:42 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Todd, I believe you are wrong when you said the engines are mechanically identical. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Chrysler beefed up the internals including the bottom end of the 2.4ltr engine if they were going to have either of the turbo's installed (lite and GT) so they could take the extra boost.
Yes this is true, I was just reading about that earlier today. 2006 PT Cruiser and GT (turbocharged car reviews)

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 09 Jan 2015, 10:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hodge podge with Dodge.... well there is right and wrong in this thread according to one of the "Head" Chrysler Power Train Engineers for the time period of late Pt and 2nd generations. Chrysler was cutting corners everywhere and there were many times that they assembled models with mixed model parts. So you Concours d'Elegance PT Cruiser owners and long time posters should beware the tree of information has yet to be shaken and slowly old information and Myths are going to be "busted"!
Sure this is second hand information but some of you I think know it true.
Busted_PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 09 Jan 2015, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The turbos are identical. This i think you stated here. The n/a has higher compression and no oil squirters for the piston skirt. Cam and head are the same. Not sure about the exhaust valves. Nitro can probobly shine some light there. Crank and rods IDK. they did lower compression for the boosted motors. N/A blocks can be converted to a turbo block with some drilling and taping. For the turbo lines and and oil squirters.I believe they were thinking about the two turbo engine in that statement you read.

Todd there was no reason for the high output badging in 03 no lite then. The badging only denotes that it is a GT. Nothing more. 04 brought the bigger injectors to all turbo's. O4 got a bump in tune to 220 for the GT. 06 got another bump in HP. reported to be a intake change in 05 up too account for this. But testing buy Nitro ruled this out. Pcm could be the only explanation for this. Also the statement by the Mckissacks has been called into question. Inside source for chrysler says his claim to be engineer not true. He was reported to be a programer. Believe it was in emissions. So all other claims of HP gains by him are now very suspect. No such claim has surface that I'm aware of from chrysler themselves. Might want to check into how he left chrysler too. Very interesting.
hotrodstills likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com