Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 Coolant Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2015, 09:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 Coolant Issue

I have a 2003 PT GT that is leaking coolant from somewhere on the backside of the motor. It's been leaking for a while but the level in the reservoir hasn't dropped and I'm unable to see exactly where it may be coming from. It's possibly the hard lines that run from the heater core that T off to the turbo but I'm unable to tell. It gets worse if it boosts, if I go somewhere and keep the boost gauge at 0 or lower it usually won't leak. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be? The car is supposed to have a somewhat recently rebuilt head with new head gasket.
Old 17 Jan 2015, 10:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 Coolant Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTFR View Post
I have a 2003 PT GT that is leaking coolant from somewhere on the backside of the motor. It's been leaking for a while but the level in the reservoir hasn't dropped and I'm unable to see exactly where it may be coming from. It's possibly the hard lines that run from the heater core that T off to the turbo but I'm unable to tell. It gets worse if it boosts, if I go somewhere and keep the boost gauge at 0 or lower it usually won't leak. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be? The car is supposed to have a somewhat recently rebuilt head with new head gasket.
With the engine completely cold, open the radiator cap and look in - is coolant up to the brim? It needs to be.
If you're leaking and overflow level stays the same, it means the tube to overflow has a leak as well and radiator can't suck from overflow bottle.
Is temp gauge at halfway?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Jan 2015, 12:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've had to add coolant to the radiator a couple times. The tube going to the reservoir doesn't have any leaks.

Last night it coated most of the stuff between the airbox and turbo with an oil and coolant mixture and the temp went up to about 3/4 on the gauge. I bled the cooling system, topped up the radiator, and drained the reservoir to where it should be. Ran it alittle today and no leak and it didn't go above half on the temp gauge but there's more fluid everywhere. Still can't find where any of it is coming from
Old 17 Jan 2015, 12:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

At most service stations (the kind that does more than pump gas) they have a pump that is attached where the radiator cap goes. They can pump the system up with air that will force coolant out of the tiniest cracks. Stop by a place and see if they will do it for you.
Old 17 Jan 2015, 12:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTFR View Post
I've had to add coolant to the radiator a couple times. The tube going to the reservoir doesn't have any leaks.

Last night it coated most of the stuff between the airbox and turbo with an oil and coolant mixture and the temp went up to about 3/4 on the gauge. I bled the cooling system, topped up the radiator, and drained the reservoir to where it should be. Ran it alittle today and no leak and it didn't go above half on the temp gauge but there's more fluid everywhere. Still can't find where any of it is coming from
That sounds like your original guess:
"It's possibly the hard lines that run from the heater core that T off to the turbo but I'm unable to tell".

Don't see that causing overheating - look at oil dipstick and oil filler cap after car has been run - any sign of brown foam??? Engine fan working?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Jan 2015, 01:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The fan is working properly and no foam in the oil or any signs of anything head gasket related. I'm taking it somewhere tonight to get the system checked.

Last edited by TeamTFR; 31 Jan 2015 at 06:42 pm.
Old 17 Jan 2015, 01:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Might check the coolant where it goes to oil filter. That has been a leak as well.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Jan 2015, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I rented a pressure tester and have it at 18psi right now and there aren't any leaks
Old 17 Jan 2015, 06:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the coolant pipe feeding into the heater core. Sometimes they have a thin crack lines that are hard to see.
Old 17 Jan 2015, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Turns out that the locating pin on the thermostat came out and got stuck sideways in the spring in the thermostat and it got stuck halfway open. New thermostat is in and no problems yet