PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
sudden very loud turbo whine

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Feb 2015, 03:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default sudden very loud turbo whine

Hello all, I have a 2005 signature series, that has an "intermittent" problem where it will run very rough and jump and shake like the cylinders are being randomly fired and would throw the mapp sensor code, it also occasionally throws the non-specific misfire code. (I forget the actual numbers). In attempting to resolve this problem by checking the usual culprits the turbo suddenly out of the blue developed this extremely loud whine which can be heard a block away. It now throws the P2074 code but the original Mapp code seems to have cleared however the problem of running very rough at idle remains.

My question, is this coincidence that my turbo failed while troubleshooting the rough running issue or is there anything external to the turbo I may have messed up that could cause this severe whine?

Any and all suggestions and guidance would be deeply appreciated.
Old 28 Feb 2015, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: sudden very loud turbo whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Hello all, I have a 2005 signature series, that has an "intermittent" problem where it will run very rough and jump and shake like the cylinders are being randomly fired and would throw the mapp sensor code, it also occasionally throws the non-specific misfire code. (I forget the actual numbers). In attempting to resolve this problem by checking the usual culprits the turbo suddenly out of the blue developed this extremely loud whine which can be heard a block away. It now throws the P2074 code but the original Mapp code seems to have cleared however the problem of running very rough at idle remains.

My question, is this coincidence that my turbo failed while troubleshooting the rough running issue or is there anything external to the turbo I may have messed up that could cause this severe whine?

Any and all suggestions and guidance would be deeply appreciated.
I think you have a hose blow off. The turbo gets loud it the hose gets off.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Feb 2015, 08:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: sudden very loud turbo whine

On my 2005 Dream Cruiser Convertible, I've always had a small background whine....less so afer she warms up. I have eliminated everything except a small boost leak.
Yours could be a BIG BOOST LEAK!
That might have percipitated some codes.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 01 Mar 2015, 11:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys, I checked the three tiny vac lines off the turbo and a 4th larger one, all seem to be tight.

I removed the big air intake line from the filter box and carefully looked into the turbo, there seems to be no play in/out or laterally. The vanes look good and I can spin the turbo with my finger.

Oddly, it does not whine/howl near as bad revving in neutral as it does when accelerating during a test drive. Something has definitely changed since I started working on it, it is extremely loud and in the past the only time I ever heard the turbo was when it was spooling down after shutting the motor off.

Could it be that it is not getting any oil? and is there an easy way to confirm it is?

Could a faulty waste gate or that other actuator (whatever it is) be causing excessive noise?

I would hate to replace the entire turbo only to find it wasn't the problem. It seems like a monstrous job and cost to replace,

Thanks again.
Old 01 Mar 2015, 11:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

How is the power? A big boost leak should make your car slower.
Check the big hoses to/from intercooler.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Mar 2015, 01:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: sudden very loud turbo whine

Quote:
Thanks guys, I checked the three tiny vac lines off the turbo and a 4th larger one, all seem to be tight.

I removed the big air intake line from the filter box and carefully looked into the turbo, there seems to be no play in/out or laterally. The vanes look good and I can spin the turbo with my finger.

Oddly, it does not whine/howl near as bad revving in neutral as it does when accelerating during a test drive. Something has definitely changed since I started working on it, it is extremely loud and in the past the only time I ever heard the turbo was when it was spooling down after shutting the motor off.

Could it be that it is not getting any oil? and is there an easy way to confirm it is?

Could a faulty waste gate or that other actuator (whatever it is) be causing excessive noise?

I would hate to replace the entire turbo only to find it wasn't the problem. It seems like a monstrous job and cost to replace,

Thanks again.
You can pull the oil lines and inspect them.
Some do get clogged.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 01 Mar 2015, 02:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Really appreciate the help guys, I'll check the intercooler lines and the oil lines once I figure out which line is what.

Read thru Busted PT's turbo rebuild and still digesting all the info, by the way B-PT, that is one of the best "how to" instructions I have ever read, great photos and concise step by step comments. Two thumbs way up! Mind you I pray I don't have to use them.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 04 Mar 2015, 12:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Looks like I'm rebuilding or buying a new turbo, can not find any (external) reason for the sudden loud whine.

Can someone advise ordering info or what model of turbo I need to buy? Its for a 2005 signature series. I thought they were all the same for the PT's but apparently not according to some sources.
Old 04 Mar 2015, 02:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Looks like I'm rebuilding or buying a new turbo, can not find any (external) reason for the sudden loud whine.

Can someone advise ordering info or what model of turbo I need to buy? Its for a 2005 signature series. I thought they were all the same for the PT's but apparently not according to some sources.
All the stock turbo's are the same. Interchange wise. The aftermarket replacements. According to one of my amigos the oil holes are different inside if I got that correct. The neon has the same turbo. Nitro_PT has a good retailer on one. Without the problem.
Thank's for the thumbs up. Wanted to make it easy for simple people like myself. . Pictures are good. Lol keep me in mind for the leftovers. lol.
767skyking likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Mar 2015, 01:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

For an extra $100 would it be wiser to buy the whole core assembly since I do not know what is shot on mine or just a rebuild kit?

As near as I can find out, the turbo model I need is a TD04LR-16GK/6, does this sound correct?