Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear brake pads for 2004 GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2015, 12:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Rear brake pads for 2004 GT

According to several parts sites I've looked at there are two different pads available for a 2004 PT GT - one is apparently for 8" rotors (w/o perf. package) and one is for 9" rotors (w/ perf. package). I would think all GTs would come with the larger rear rotors (performance package), but this does not seem to be the case.

How do I know which pads I need?
Old 10 Mar 2015, 12:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear brake pads for 2004 GT

measure them!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 10 Mar 2015 at 12:44 pm.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 12:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
measure them!

BTW my GT has 10.5 rotors.
I don't have the car available to me right now - my wife has it at work. Thought maybe someone would be able to tell me the story on two different STOCK rotor sizes.

But you win for first to reply, Nitro... useful or not!
Old 10 Mar 2015, 01:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Well, I broke down and called my local dealer. He took my VIN and told me that all GTs come with the sport suspension so I'm guessing that translates to "performance package". Guess I won't really know for sure until I get the car off the ground!

In case you are interested, the dealer price here for semi-metallic pads (not ceramic) is $70 per axle!

BTW, the guy I talked to at Wagner (Federal Mogul) said both rotors are 270mm (10.63"), so I guess the O'Reilly page is totally out to lunch asking about 8" or 9" rotors.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 02:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

AS far as I know, all PTs - GT or not - take the same size pads - front or rear (if there are rear disks).
The ONLY difference is Turbo cars have fatter (thicker) front disks (rotors).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Mar 2015, 02:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
AS far as I know, all PTs - GT or not - take the same size pads - front or rear (if there are rear disks).
The ONLY difference is Turbo cars have fatter (thicker) front disks (rotors).
That's what I thought till I looked for the correct P/N on Wagner's application page.

Amazon has very good pricing on Wagner pads and there is a $30 rebate for both axles ($15 per axle) from Wagner right now. I bought a set of ceramic pads for the front (QC841) and semi-metallic for the back (MX782) for under $36 after MIR (including tax). Wagner shows an alternate part number (MX759) for the rears on a car "w/o Perf. Pkg" - that's where my confusion started!

BTW, this rebate does not require UPC codes, you can submit it online (upload jpg of receipt), and they will deposit the rebate directly into your PayPal account!
Old 10 Mar 2015, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegorr View Post
That's what I thought till I looked for the correct P/N on Wagner's application page.

Amazon has very good pricing on Wagner pads and there is a $30 rebate for both axles ($15 per axle) from Wagner right now. I bought a set of ceramic pads for the front (QC841) and semi-metallic for the back (MX782) for under $36 after MIR (including tax). Wagner shows an alternate part number (MX759) for the rears on a car "w/o Perf. Pkg" - that's where my confusion started!

BTW, this rebate does not require UPC codes, you can submit it online (upload jpg of receipt), and they will deposit the rebate directly into your PayPal account!
Might just be a different braking compound, not dimensions.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Mar 2015, 03:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegorr View Post
I don't have the car available to me right now - my wife has it at work. Thought maybe someone would be able to tell me the story on two different STOCK rotor sizes.

But you win for first to reply, Nitro... useful or not!
ya I edited my first response because I posted my GT measure 10.5 inches! By a tape measure and quick check. Based on that I did not want to confuse the thread with what you had posted.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN