LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2015, 10:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default upstream O2 sensor wiring

20150319_180551.jpg

20150319_180649.jpg

20150319_180659.jpg

03' turbo atx
Found another hack from the previous owner today. This one's baaaad. The upstream O2 sensor seems to have been cut....and just left flapping in the wind. The sensor is not wired to anything!!
Car runs fine, idles fine, and if you can believe this...doesn't throw codes. Wtf.

Where does the 2 wire sensor go to? What's the other blue cut wire?

Section 14-40 in the manual shows what I think is a plug connector mounted right by the backside of the timing cover.
I snapped a few pics.
The o2 has some yellow wire spliced to it and you can see its been cut. The sensor I think it might go to is the one in these pics, but I'm not sure how many pins that connector is and if that's it, which pins the o2 goes to. And then there's that blue wire lol.

Any help to get me landing these wires in the right spot would be great. I'm afraid to even drive the car now that ive seen this latest hackjob. I'm ashamed I didn't notice it sooner

Last edited by TangerineDream286; 19 Mar 2015 at 10:37 pm.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 06:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: upstream O2 sensor wiring

I'm pretty sure that in my 2006 the O2 wires are white/black...
Anyway, remove the tape around the blue wire...from the pic, it looks like they tapped into it...it might not go to anything...something that was removed.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 20 Mar 2015, 07:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm wondering if they really changed that much on your 03 Turbo from my 01 non-turbo. This is what the upstream 02 sensor looks like....

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 08:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Up stream is usually a four wire. But done hold me to it. But this is to high up to be it I think. Do as Lion suggest and untape it. Think it's not supposed to be there. And what is that big yellow house wire looking thing supposed to be?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Mar 2015, 08:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Up stream is usually a four wire. But done hold me to it. But this is to high up to be it I think. Do as Lion suggest and untape it. Think it's not supposed to be there. And what is that big yellow house wire looking thing supposed to be?
I don't think any of it belongs...something was removed & the owner just cut the wires.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 20 Mar 2015, 09:45 am
Banned

It all belongs (is oem) except for the blue wire and yellow wire. My pic below is of an oem 02 sensor. The op's pic is showing the part of the 02's wire track where it runs up the firewall and connects to the wiring from the dash. Its a normal connector used on our engines. There is one for both the upstream and downstream sensors.

The "Abby" normal part is the blue wire, that if you look close you can see the bulge where the previous owner did a bad (crude) job of splicing into one of the wires in the factory bundle. This is normaly done when someone mistakenly thinks they can just splice into the oem 02 wiring to hook up an aftermarket AFR gauge. The proper method is to add a specific bung to facilitiate the gauge. When it didn't work he just cut the wire. At least that is what appears to have happened here.

Lastly, you aren't getting any codes because everything is still oem correct.

02 sensor with stainless stand-off type non-fowler. I was the first to mention them here on this site some time back.

02 with a typical non-fowler setup. Note that it's NON-fowler not NONE-fowler.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 20 Mar 2015 at 02:40 pm.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 11:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Update: good news! My o2 sensor is in fact there and still factory connected via the 4 pin plug. (You were correct with the 4 wire).
Just stepped out during lunch to get a better look. What I was seeing is what I think was another add-on by previous owner. Looks just like the o2 sensor but it's plumbed in about 2-3 back from the o2.
Looks like something was hastily removed. Maybe a universal 2wire o2? Doesn't matter, I'm trimming down the wires and leaving it. Here are some pics.

Thank you guys for your help. 2 heads are better than 1.

20150320_135912.jpg

20150320_140036.jpg

20150320_140925.jpg

20150320_141107.jpg

Last edited by TangerineDream286; 20 Mar 2015 at 02:41 pm.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

These are H02s (Heated 02 sensors)4 wire which OBD compliant engine need.

I am concerned that you did not get a DTC indicating an 02 issue?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Mar 2015 at 12:22 pm.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 02:06 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
It all belongs (is oem) except for the blue wire and yellow wire. My pic below is of an oem 02 sensor. The op's pic is showing the part of the 02's wire track where it runs up the firewall and connects to the wiring from the dash. Its a normal connector used on our engines. There is one for both the upstream and downstream sensors.

The "Abby" normal part is the blue wire, that if you look close you can see the bulge where the previous owner did a bad (crude) job of splicing into one of the wires in the factory bundle. This is normaly done when someone mistakenly thinks they can just splice into the oem 02 wiring to hook up an aftermarket AFR gauge. The proper method is to add a specific bung to facilitiate the gauge. When it didn't work he just cut the wire. At least that is what appears to have happened here.

Lastly, you aren't getting any codes because everything is still oem correct.

02 sensor with stainless stand-off type non-fowler. I was the first to mention them here on this site some time back.

02 with a typical non-fowler setup. Note that it's NON-fowler not NONE-fowler.

Jerry
As I said above, you aren't getting any codes because everything is still "as delivered". oem, stock.

Look at it this way--if I just bought me a nice shiny new turbo PT and I wanted to install an AFR gauge and I wanted to take a short cut or just plain didn't know any better or the most likely suspect, I didn't to spend the money to install a third bung to house it correctly! I would then try to splice into one of the existing 02 sensors wiring. It didn't work. Damn! Alright, I'll try tapping into the other sensors wiring. Damn, that didn't work either. Now since neither one worked, I simply cut--- ONLY--- the wires I added and move on to another screw up.
That means that I am back to oem stock configuration and I will naturally get no codes. I haven't cut any factory wires so that is also why it runs fine. Why wouldn't it?

This is only supposition on my part since I'm not there and can't examine it up close and personal.

I'm now going to add a few more pics to this post to explain the firewall misunderstanding.

No.1 arrow in the above pic is pointing to factory clip that is factory taped to the factory 02 wire bundle. It is just an inch or two out from the firewall, hence the firewall referance.

No. 2 arrow is pointing to the top half of the connector that joins the wire bundle to the 02 sensor assembly (connector).

No.3 arrow is pointing to the bottom o2 connector half of the oem factory plug in connector in the above pic AND the pic below.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 20 Mar 2015 at 02:33 pm.
Old 20 Mar 2015, 02:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good conclusion Jerry!
I just saw a mess of wires and always think OMG another hack job, wire project gone wrong. I charge x2 when having to work on someones none OEM wiring issues.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN