Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Vent whistling noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2015, 05:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Vent whistling noise

Hey guys, I did a quick search with no results. I recently purchased a 2004 gt and just within the last week I've noticed that there is a whislting noise from the ac vents when at idle and it goes away when accelerating.. I know its a vacuum leak but I'm not really sure where to look. I have a boost gauge installed and at idle it's showing about 17 vacuum and under WOT it's only boosting about 13psi. Is this normal?

Old 27 Mar 2015, 03:38 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Vent whistling noise

Great color - very rarely seen in Germany. Very beautiful.

Hubbe

2.0 Street cruiser, 2.4 limited, 2.4 GT
Old 13 Apr 2015, 07:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

at wot does it stay at a certain psi or does it drop or give a drastic different reading? If you have an air tank you can make a make shift pressure tester for boost. Just get you some pvc pipe, a quick release fitting for air line. Take off your intake piping and hook these items to the turbo inlet. Dont run too much pressure thru it, just run about 18-20 psi If your goal is 15. get some soapy water mixture in a squirt bottle and start spraying your lines. You will instantly see if you have a leak.
On a side note. I noticed you have the same rear roll pan/bumper as I do. Very nice.

2003 Dream Cruiser #0794, MSD wires, MSD Box, Borla exhaust, K&N coldair intake, Rear fiberglass rollpan, Xenon side skirts, Rear window cover. Pinstriping on tailgate and hood.
Custom teardrop tailights, drilled/slotted rotors. Custom interior, boost gauge and wideband in A-pillar, lowered on Ebach adjustable coilovers, sway bars, and bushings. Diablosport Intune with modified 93 tune. AGP aftermarket wastegate. Fresh rebuilt engine with forged wiesco pistons bored. 020"over.
Old 20 Apr 2015, 11:11 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboguy85 View Post
at wot does it stay at a certain psi or does it drop or give a drastic different reading? If you have an air tank you can make a make shift pressure tester for boost. Just get you some pvc pipe, a quick release fitting for air line. Take off your intake piping and hook these items to the turbo inlet. Dont run too much pressure thru it, just run about 18-20 psi If your goal is 15. get some soapy water mixture in a squirt bottle and start spraying your lines. You will instantly see if you have a leak.
On a side note. I noticed you have the same rear roll pan/bumper as I do. Very nice.
I found the culprit, it's my switch that controls weather you have fresh air from out side or if it recirculates. If I put it in a certain spot the whistling goes away... I'm assuming I have to replace the entire climate control assembly..

Old 20 Apr 2015, 12:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhitePT View Post
I found the culprit, it's my switch that controls ...fresh air from out side or if it recirculates. ... I'm assuming I have to replace the entire climate control assembly..
Likely you have correctly identified a vacuum leak.
I doubt that the climate control panel needs to be replaced. It does need to be removed to access the back where a 'vacuum harness' plugs in. Another end of the same harness system can be seen when you remove the glove box. Look for the metal actuator canister (opens closes fresh air door).

Finally, the vacuum source is seen by the brake master cylinder. See the vacuum canister and tube in the pic below. The vacuum tube passes through a firewall grommet.