Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
weird noise from engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2015, 07:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default weird noise from engine

Well this couldn't come up at a better time. I was 1500ft from pulling into my driveway, I pull onto my street when I got onto it a little bit. At about 3000rpm there's a grinding noise! Got into my driveway, rev'ed it a little, did it again. In drive it doesn't make a noise. Im afraid to get on it and mess something up. But if you put it in auto stick and get the rps up in one gear it makes the noise. Kinda sounds like putting a stick or something in a fan. Turbo spools up easy. Still has power. No cel light. It sounds like its coming from the top end but its hard to pinpoint. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

2003 Dream Cruiser #0794, MSD wires, MSD Box, Borla exhaust, K&N coldair intake, Rear fiberglass rollpan, Xenon side skirts, Rear window cover. Pinstriping on tailgate and hood.
Custom teardrop tailights, drilled/slotted rotors. Custom interior, boost gauge and wideband in A-pillar, lowered on Ebach adjustable coilovers, sway bars, and bushings. Diablosport Intune with modified 93 tune. AGP aftermarket wastegate. Fresh rebuilt engine with forged wiesco pistons bored. 020"over.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 11:20 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: weird noise from engine

Well I checked the shaft play on the turbo. It's not the problem. I have no idea what this is. Honestly the turbo looks brand new like it's been replaced.

2003 Dream Cruiser #0794, MSD wires, MSD Box, Borla exhaust, K&N coldair intake, Rear fiberglass rollpan, Xenon side skirts, Rear window cover. Pinstriping on tailgate and hood.
Custom teardrop tailights, drilled/slotted rotors. Custom interior, boost gauge and wideband in A-pillar, lowered on Ebach adjustable coilovers, sway bars, and bushings. Diablosport Intune with modified 93 tune. AGP aftermarket wastegate. Fresh rebuilt engine with forged wiesco pistons bored. 020"over.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 11:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Make a video of it and post it.
You should use an audio scope or a home made one to isolate the noise.

Call me and I will explain further to much to type.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 Mar 2015 at 12:06 pm.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 11:44 am
Regular Cruiser

I will try. My home internet has been disabled due to at&t being too awesome...
So I'm posting from my cell.

Old 28 Mar 2015, 11:54 am
Regular Cruiser

I filmed it. And I must say that I can hear noises on the video that you can't hear in person. Im not sure if I'm being paranoid or what. Ill post it shortly.

Old 28 Mar 2015, 12:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

https://youtu.be/qLDmZoo9eqc

Here's the video.

Old 29 Mar 2015, 12:12 am
Regular Cruiser

Ive taken the valve cover off. There's no sign of wear or nasty shavings anywhere. Just by visually inspecting, it doesn't look like it would be the problem.

Old 29 Mar 2015, 09:10 am
Regular Cruiser

I was thinking after doing some research, that it might be my timing chain components? If something is loose but only makes noise under load?

Old 29 Mar 2015, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It's had to tell it could even be the torque converter bolts. You need to isolate the sound better.

Make a home made listening toool.

Philips screw driver. About a foot of vacuum line and a bolt. Push the hose on the shaft of the Philips and the at the other end push the threaded portion of the bolt.

Now you can push the handle of the Philips I your ear and with your other hand touch different areas of the end to find where the noise is exactly coming from without have to take anything apart.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 29 Mar 2015, 10:09 am
Regular Cruiser

Will do