Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How does a timing belt tensioner work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2015, 05:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default How does a timing belt tensioner work?

A basic question to some, yes, but from what I've found in my personal expirience, inserting a 1/4" drive into the hole, and attempting to turn it, only damages the hole. So I have to ask, what is the proper way to prep this device before timing belt install?

(this tensioner does not have a retension pin)

I only ask because I cant get my timing belt over the tensioner. Its off by about 1/4 inch.

I can loosen the retaining bolt on the tensioner pulley, but no matter which direction I move it, I cant get the belt over it. I'm assuming I'm missing a step.

Last edited by Flash619; 03 Apr 2015 at 05:54 pm.
Old 03 Apr 2015, 06:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How does a timing belt tensioner work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash619 View Post
A basic question to some, yes, but from what I've found in my personal expirience, inserting a 1/4" drive into the hole, and attempting to turn it, only damages the hole. So I have to ask, what is the proper way to prep this device before timing belt install?

(this tensioner does not have a retension pin)

I only ask because I cant get my timing belt over the tensioner. Its off by about 1/4 inch.

I can loosen the retaining bolt on the tensioner pulley, but no matter which direction I move it, I cant get the belt over it. I'm assuming I'm missing a step.
Use a wrench to pull the belt slack to the tensioner side. With the belt clamped to the sprockets. the belt wont jump time while you do this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Apr 2015, 07:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

.... I'm confused.

If I use a wrench on the intake cam to take up slack, it's timming will be off from the exhaust cam. If I wrench on the exhaust cam, it still move both cams causing the cams to be misaligned from the crankshaft.

Could you give an example?
Old 03 Apr 2015, 08:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
.... I'm confused.

If I use a wrench on the intake cam to take up slack, it's timming will be off from the exhaust cam. If I wrench on the exhaust cam, it still move both cams causing the cams to be misaligned from the crankshaft.

Could you give an example?
If you have the timing right then they will move together. You can use spring clamps to hold the belt into the teeth of the sprockets. If by doing this the marks wont align. You were wrong to begin with. You need to keep belt as tight as you can on the water pump side.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Apr 2015, 08:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
If you have the timing right then they will move together. You can use spring clamps to hold the belt into the teeth of the sprockets. If by doing this the marks wont align. You were wrong to begin with. You need to keep belt as tight as you can on the water pump side.

I try to keep it tight by the water pump but then it makes the crankshaft move. >.< how can I keep it all tight without things moving? How tight is tight enough?
Old 03 Apr 2015, 08:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I try to keep it tight by the water pump but then it makes the crankshaft move. >.< how can I keep it all tight without things moving? How tight is tight enough?
Just enough to keep the belt from being off a tooth between the different pulleys. One you have the belt on with the exception of the tensioner. pull the belt as tight to the tensioner as you can. Then with the free hand roll the cam or crank to get to slack you need to roll the belt onto the tensioner without the belt slipping any teeth. Then you can roll the entire engine until the marks come back around.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Apr 2015, 08:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Just enough to keep the belt from being off a tooth between the different pulleys. One you have the belt on with the exception of the tensioner. pull the belt as tight to the tensioner as you can. Then with the free hand roll the cam or crank to get to slack you need to roll the belt onto the tensioner without the belt slipping any teeth. Then you can roll the entire engine until the marks come back around.
Why would I need to rotate the engine? Shouldn't the marks already be aligned before putting on the belt? I know the exhaust needs to be slightly lower, but I guess I don't understand why they wouldn't be aligned already?
Old 03 Apr 2015, 08:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Why would I need to rotate the engine? Shouldn't the marks already be aligned before putting on the belt? I know the exhaust needs to be slightly lower, but I guess I don't understand why they wouldn't be aligned already?
The exhaust needs to be lined up with the other cam. One you have the belt lopped around all the sprockets. Your just turning the engine to help get the belt over the tensioner.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Apr 2015, 09:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
The exhaust needs to be lined up with the other cam. One you have the belt lopped around all the sprockets. Your just turning the engine to help get the belt over the tensioner.
Everywhere I've read said you need to have the exhaust sprocket a half notch lower than the intake? It's the only way I can get the belt to line up with the sprocket teeth unless... Am I missing something?
Old 03 Apr 2015, 09:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Everywhere I've read said you need to have the exhaust sprocket a half notch lower than the intake? It's the only way I can get the belt to line up with the sprocket teeth unless... Am I missing something?
HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!! Here is what they look like Top and bottom.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com