PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 PT Turbo sputters upon acceleration

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2015, 06:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2004 PT Turbo sputters upon acceleration

SO my 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo (53K miles) is driving fine and suddenly my check engine light comes on & any acceleration placed upon the gas pedal is greeted by the car sputtering. The car is still able to drive at a normal rate of speed but any attempts to make an acceleration over a light touch of the gas pedal results in the above mentioned.
So I first attempted to simply replace my plugs , wires, PV valve which needed to be done shortly anyway. No Luck.
Upon coming to this site I found I needed to get a code for what was wrong. Did the key trick & was greeted with 5 different codes which I find it hard to believe that all of these sensors all go out at once & if this is the case Chrysler needs to step up to the plate with a legitimate explanation as to why all at once with a very well maintained engine.
OK this is what came up
P0016 ???
P0325 PCM Knock sensor circuit
P0335 CKP Sensor
P0340 Camshaft Position (cmp) sensor circuit
P0344 Camshaft Position sensor circuit intermittent
Has anyone been faced with a similar problem that was causing all of these other sensors to fail or cause the cars cpu to create all of the these said problems?
I can replace these parts on my own but if it is only one part causing all of the others to fail I would love to know before spending a fortune on parts & wasting my time. Also I would like to know if I have to reset, updated or anything with the cars cpu when the part or parts are replaced?
Old 07 Apr 2015, 07:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 PT Turbo sputters upon acceleration

Most of those are for the Camshaft Sensor.
Unhook the negative battery cable, then unplug the Cam Sensor & check the wiring & the plug for any cracks...also make sure it's not wrapped around any of the heater hoses. Plug the Cam Sensor back in & reattach up the battery...drive the car for 10-15 min (drive it, not idle)...if the Cam Sensor is bad, your codes will return.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 07 Apr 2015, 11:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: 2004 PT Turbo sputters upon acceleration

My 2005 just had the SAME problem on the highway; and the main problem turned out to be the crank sensor.
The cam sensor, I was prepared to tackle.
But, taking all the stuff off to get to the cam sensor got me into a lot more problems that I was willing to attempt......including a "bad" look at the timing belt.
See my "what did you do to your cruiser today" post.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 07 May 2015, 07:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, this same thing just happened to me this morning on my 2005 GT. I started the car and then loaded some stuff in the back for work. When I sat down, I noticed the check engine light on. The fuel was on empty so I drove it a half mile to the neighborhood service stations to get fuel. I didn't want it to run dry if I had to work on it.

During the trip to the service station, it drove fine until boost kicked in. Then it sputtered and acted like it was running out of fuel. When filling the tank, I ran the trouble code with a little scanner I keep in an underseat drawer just for fun. I got the P0340 code. That's for the camshaft sensor.

On the way home, I got the same sputtering during acceleration. I drove back to the house and jumped into my Dodge Quad cab to go to work. It has over 210K on it and the engine has never been touched. I wish the same folks had designed and built my PT and its parts. It's sad to only get 96K out of a sensor.

I'm going to install a new Mopar-brand cam sensor and magnet tomorrow. I was already planning to do this anyway when I install a new timing belt and performance camshafts next month. I can get a Mopar cam sensor over-night from Amazon for $57.18. I already have a new magnet ready to go. But first, I will call a local Chrysler dealer this morning to see how much they would want for the sensor.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 07 May 2015 at 07:26 am.
Old 07 May 2015, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Well, this same thing just happened to me this morning on my 2005 GT. I started the car and then loaded some stuff in the back for work. When I sat down, I noticed the check engine light on. The fuel was on empty so I drove it a half mile to the neighborhood service stations to get fuel. I didn't want it to run dry if I had to work on it.

During the trip to the service station, it drove fine until boost kicked in. Then it sputtered and acted like it was running out of fuel. When filling the tank, I ran the trouble code with a little scanner I keep in an underseat drawer just for fun. I got the P0340 code. That's for the camshaft sensor.

On the way home, I got the same sputtering during acceleration. I drove back to the house and jumped into my Dodge Quad cab to go to work. It has over 210K on it and the engine has never been touched. I wish the same folks had designed and built my PT and its parts. It's sad to only get 96K out of a sensor.

I'm going to install a new Mopar-brand cam sensor and magnet tomorrow. I was already planning to do this anyway when I install a new timing belt and performance camshafts next month. I can get a Mopar cam sensor over-night from Amazon for $57.18. I already have a new magnet ready to go. But first, I will call a local Chrysler dealer this morning to see how much they would want for the sensor.
Is it common for the magnet to need replacing? I have never replaced them.
Old 07 May 2015, 01:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's often suggested to the change the magnet. And there have been a few cases here on this forum where the magnet turned out to be the issue. So I'll change mine with the sensor just as preventative maintenance if nothing else.

Turns out the best and quickest way to get the sensor is from Amazon. I've got Prime so it's only an extra $3.99 for overnight shipping. So I'll have it tomorrow.
Old 07 May 2015, 03:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
It's often suggested to the change the magnet. And there have been a few cases here on this forum where the magnet turned out to be the issue. So I'll change mine with the sensor just as preventative maintenance if nothing else.

Turns out the best and quickest way to get the sensor is from Amazon. I've got Prime so it's only an extra $3.99 for overnight shipping. So I'll have it tomorrow.
1st time I've seen it suggested.
I've seen where other users have had magnet problems, but I've always took that as "a user problem".

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 07 May 2015, 03:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
1st time I've seen it suggested.
I've seen where other users have had magnet problems, but I've always took that as "a user problem".
You might be right. I don't know why one would go bad. But it does happen. Plus, I already have a new one in my box of parts I've been collecting for the camshaft job. Might as well stick her on.

PS: I also took the opportunity to order a set of the higher quality Goodyear blue radiator and heater hoses. I'm not sure why Gates makes the blue belts and Goodyear makes the blue hoses, but they will all look good on my PT.
myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 07 May 2015 at 04:04 pm.
Old 07 May 2015, 08:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:

I drove back to the house and jumped into my Dodge Quad cab to go to work. It has over 210K on it and the engine has never been touched. I wish the same folks had designed and built my PT and its parts. It's sad to only get 96K out of a sensor.
This is exactly the same experience we've had.

Our 01 Dodge PU has never had a sensor failure but our 05 PT has had more than it's share.
The crank sensor failed at 34K, the PCM failed at 53K and the cam sensor failed at just under 67K. All replaced with OEM parts that are still working okay.

And just for reference, the cam sensor was $72.00 at our local dealer back in May of 2013.
Old 07 May 2015, 11:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You don't need to get a MOPAR sensor many aftermarket are same quality (in some cases may be better), (AIRTEX) and will last as long as OE branded parts.

I suggest to NOT run less then a 1/4 a tank of fuel in any EFI engine. That is so bad I won't even go there. If you do don''t cry when bad things happen to your ride.

I suggest when a sensor is coded (DTC) as fault to run a test before wasting your hard earned money on a new one. If the sensor should show to be good clean the sensor , the connectors and the area around it and re-install it. Clear the DTC and drive it. I would be willing to wager that you will be fine with the sensor thus saving few bucks in not have to buy and replace it with a new one. And I have no doubt that replacing it will also correct the problem more simply because the new part and the area of the connector is being attended to either by direct or indirect means.

I have recomended this now to at leat 12-15 members on this forum and contray to the long time responses it has worked just fin. Danny aka busted_PT did a suggested test for exactly this same fault so that I could call on him to support what I just said. Cheers to you all your friendly PT Cruiser owner and ASE Master Technician signing off.....

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Tags
engine problems