Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
NEED HELP REPLACING HORN SWITCH!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Apr 2015, 06:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default NEED HELP REPLACING HORN SWITCH!

My 2001 PT failed the WV state inspection today because the horn doesn't work. I found a few posts on this website that lists of what you have to do and I've messed with the steering wheel cover for almost 2 hours trying to get it off. I have been unsuccessful in removing the airbag cover (the part with the Chrysler logo) to replace the horn switch/pad. The horn itself still works because it still works when I lock the car with the key fob, so i am assuming it is something under that cover that needs replaced. (Note: A few days ago it was working but I would have to push pretty hard on the horn button for it to work and it was intermittent at best).

So if there is anyone out there that could provide detailed instructions (A video would seriously help me. I may even consider paying someone to post a clear video of how to remove the cover. It would really help me out.

Thanks Everyone!
Old 19 Apr 2015, 04:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: NEED HELP REPLACING HORN SWITCH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdeevis View Post
My 2001 PT failed the WV state inspection today because the horn doesn't work. I found a few posts on this website that lists of what you have to do and I've messed with the steering wheel cover for almost 2 hours trying to get it off. I have been unsuccessful in removing the airbag cover (the part with the Chrysler logo) to replace the horn switch/pad. The horn itself still works because it still works when I lock the car with the key fob, so i am assuming it is something under that cover that needs replaced. (Note: A few days ago it was working but I would have to push pretty hard on the horn button for it to work and it was intermittent at best).

So if there is anyone out there that could provide detailed instructions (A video would seriously help me. I may even consider paying someone to post a clear video of how to remove the cover. It would really help me out.

Thanks Everyone!
Most likely its the clock spring that's bad, when I removed the air bag I bent the end of a 16 penny nail to use as a lever, there are 3 holes behind the airbag, insert the bent nail and slightly push back while lightly pulling on the bag cover you should hear a click each time and it comes off it takes about 30 seconds.

07 Remvoal of Horn button/cover
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus 195/65r15
AKA "Banana Car"

Last edited by dalandon; 19 Apr 2015 at 04:35 am.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 06:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Could you post a photo of the 3 holes location? I pryed and pulled for 2 hours at that cover with no luck. I used 2 flat head screwdrivers as leverage.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 08:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

JUST REALIZED I POSTED IN WRONG DISCUSSION BOARD. PLEASE DELETE.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 09:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Read this. It should help:

How to: Aftermarket steering wheel