PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Had to use 87 Octane.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2004, 11:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Had to use 87 Octane.....

Gang,

Well one of the unique things about my job is traveling to exotic, and interesting locations.

Finding myself with a solid E gas guage near Estherville Iowa (did I mention exotic), I was forced to fill with 87. That was the only option. I put in about 3 gallons in hopes I could find a 91 in the next town.

No dice. Finding myself on E again, I used 89, but a full tank, I'd given up on Premium in rural Iowa.

I noticed no difference in performance from Premium. Didn't hear any pinging. Tell me that it's ok.........please.

With premium $2.04-$2.13 in Omaha, I am tempted to use 87 again, if it's not harmful longterm.
Old 11 May 2004, 12:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Not gonna kill anything as long as you don't here the pinging. Just don't make a habit of it. Your performance will suffer. We've used unleaded regular in our turbo once or twice with no ill effects.

Mike
Old 11 May 2004, 01:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The PCM will try it's best to keep you from hearing any ping by detuning the engine and reducing performance. If you do hear any pinging get out off the throttle immediately. That would mean that the engine is outside of the PCM's ability to control itself.

As Mike said, occasional use of mid grade or low grade gasoline should not hurt but I would certainly want to drive with significantly reduced vigor running 87. Of course, if you have a heavy right foot, you will probably notice that the car will be responding with less vigor anyway.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 11 May 2004, 04:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's a knock sensor that retards ignition at the onset of ping as an engine safeguard. Performance suffers, but no damage should be done.
Old 11 May 2004, 04:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Esterville,Iowa! I haden't heard that name in years! I had a college friend from there years ago. The way he talked we didn't think "Estervillage" would make it into the 21st century.
Old 12 May 2004, 04:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

When in Iowa and premium is not available use mid-range fuel. It's 15% ethenol higher octane rating but cheaper due to Iowa subsidy for the corn growing folks. Milage will suffer but NO knocking. Tried in March when in West Branch.
Old 13 May 2004, 12:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by amazingarthur

Gang,

Well one of the unique things about my job is traveling to exotic, and interesting locations.

Finding myself with a solid E gas guage near Estherville Iowa (did I mention exotic), I was forced to fill with 87. That was the only option. I put in about 3 gallons in hopes I could find a 91 in the next town.

No dice. Finding myself on E again, I used 89, but a full tank, I'd given up on Premium in rural Iowa.

I noticed no difference in performance from Premium. Didn't hear any pinging. Tell me that it's ok.........please.

With premium $2.04-$2.13 in Omaha, I am tempted to use 87 again, if it's not harmful longterm.
$2.13 a gallon is good, here in Oregon the best I am seeing for 91/92 octane is $2.36 at Costco with some places as high as $2.43.
UConnect
6 Disc CD
Engine Heater
Old 18 May 2004, 11:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by amazingarthur

Gang,

Dude, that's like goin' home with the fat chick left at the bar when it closes after a few too many pitchers.....everyone's done it, but no-one *ever* admits it.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack