PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stage 1 or not?

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2015, 08:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Stage 1 or not?

Added a stage 1 computer last year and never could get the a\c to work correct with computer. Ends up the computer was 03 and the car was 04. Removed and went back to the turbo lite computer. Now I have an 04 stage 1 computer but when I install it the SKIM shuts the engine down after a couple seconds. Spoke with stealer and they won't mess with it. Spoke with a locksmith and he believes he can pull up the skim from the stage and then change it to my skim. My question is, if I stay out of the throttle will I get better mileage with the stage 1 ?
Old 31 May 2015, 08:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stage 1 or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttomes View Post
Added a stage 1 computer last year and never could get the a\c to work correct with computer. Ends up the computer was 03 and the car was 04. Removed and went back to the turbo lite computer. Now I have an 04 stage 1 computer but when I install it the SKIM shuts the engine down after a couple seconds. Spoke with stealer and they won't mess with it. Spoke with a locksmith and he believes he can pull up the skim from the stage and then change it to my skim. My question is, if I stay out of the throttle will I get better mileage with the stage 1 ?
I real don't see why that would really help that. Driving habits can do that with either. But once you have the gt or stage status you can get a tuner and actually tune for that purpose. If the lock smith cant do it. You will have to send it off for vin flash. Talk to Nitro on the mileage thing.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 May 2015, 09:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
While everyone's mileage varies, my experience is that fuel mileage is just about the same with a Stage 1 during normal driving. But when you romp on it, plan to burn a lot more fuel.

Some locksmiths can mate the PCM to the SKIM module. But there's a lot of companies online that can do it too. If the SKIM module is original to the car, all you have to do is have the VIN from the car programed into the PCM. There's several companies that can flash the VIN to you PCM. here's a few. Kevin Sykes would likely be my first choice:

Auto Computer Exchange:

https://www.autocomputerexchange.com/

Kevin Sykes:

VIN Reflashes

And I believe the folks that currently supply the Stage 1 can do it too. But I believe they out source it. You would have to call and talk to them about it:

https://www.fwdperformance.com/Store...xtCatalog=Misc
myckee and sykedtuner like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 31 May 2015 at 09:36 am.
Old 31 May 2015, 10:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Agree with all said previously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
If the SKIM module is original to the car, all you have to do is have the VIN from the car programed into the PCM.
As well, even if the SKIM module is not original to the car, you can use a slightly higher tech scanner to read the VIN programmed in the SKIM module, and then use that to program the PCM/ECM/ECU.

I have a Bluetooth OBD2 gizmo called an "EasyDiag" made by LAUNCH. It can dig fairly deeply into stuff, and the SKIM is one of them and it has no problem pulling up the VIN stored inside. The only con to the Easydiag is, you need to buy access to each type of car you want to scan/diagnose. All of my cars are Chrysler, so it is fine for me, but if you want to access multiple cars, you need to pay about $30USD for each.

Also, any well equipped shop with a real scanner such as those made by Snap-on, Autel, etc, can easily change the VIN in your PCM too.
Old 31 May 2015, 10:45 am
Cool Cruiser

So, do you do this for other people? What would you charge? My computer is aftermarket from an 04 but I do not know the Vin of the car it came from. As mentioned in my op I can furnish the Vin of my car but not the skim.
Old 31 May 2015, 11:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
So, do you do this for other people? What would you charge? My computer is aftermarket from an 04 but I do not know the Vin of the car it came from. As mentioned in my op I can furnish the Vin of my car but not the skim.
Well if you have never removed and replaced the SKIM in your car, it is likely the original and therefore has the same VIN as your car. If you have the original computer, on the side of it, on the long white sticker, you will see the last 6 digits of the vin in large numbers. If this matches the last 6 of the car VIN, then it is the original computer, and thus if it works with the SKIM, then one can conclude the SKIM is the original to the car and will have the same VIN inside.

In that case, all you need is the VIN flashed in the new S1 ecu. Pretty easy for a shop with a proper scanner or any of the list Handy posted above. I have excellent success with Syked and have used him a few times. He is a great guy to deal with.

I don't have the ability to flash the VIN at this time. I'm working on that, but keep finding other ways to spend my money instead of buying a proper tool for this. lol
SPLNeon and sykedtuner like this.
Old 31 May 2015, 12:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Danny MPG and the MYTHs, some things...I am keeping to myself. To many PCM experts no-a-days let them go figure it out.

PCM info 4 PeeTeees and me anymore,

Oh a closing Note Keven @Skyed( I talk with him frequently )will have a product released in a few weeks for Beta testing that allows full access to calibrating your own PCM. It may only be with a DST,DSI or old DSP? Maybe software for PC or laptop IKD he was not that clear about it? It will be cheaper then a CMR or having to pay for a calibrator to make simple or complicated PCM changes and having to pay for that time individually.

Haaaaaavvvvvv fun...........

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 31 May 2015 at 12:09 pm.
Old 31 May 2015, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Danny MPG and the MYTHs, some things...I am keeping to myself. To many PCM experts no-a-days let them go figure it out.

PCM info 4 PeeTeees and me anymore,

Oh a closing Note Keven @Skyed( I talk with him frequently )will have a product released in a few weeks for Beta testing that allows full access to calibrating your own PCM. It may only be with a DST,DSI or old DSP? Maybe software for PC or laptop IKD he was not that clear about it? It will be cheaper then a CMR or having to pay for a calibrator to make simple or complicated PCM changes and having to pay for that time individually.

Haaaaaavvvvvv fun...........
What I meant was, you have experience with some of the PCM's and could tell them your experiences with maximising there chances of getting the best milage . Whether it be driving habits , maintenance, or other things. I suggested you because you would be real and not subject to quote the internet myths.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 May 2015, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I assume you care about mileage because of cost? That's funny because a turbo lite runs fine on regular, while a Stage 1 requires premium fuel which costs quite a bit more...
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 May 2015, 12:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
What I meant was, you have experience with some of the PCM's and could tell them your experiences with maximising there chances of getting the best milage . Whether it be driving habits , maintenance, or other things. I suggested you because you would be real and not subject to quote the internet myths.
No I appreciate the comments from you Danny and let explain a little better. I just no longer want to advise PT owners at least on a forum any longer having to do with PCM calibrating. There are only so many arguments I can handle at one time. It would be different if I had other Calibrators (at least 1) that we could swap idea's,files and collected DATA,DATA LOGGING, info but that is not the case on this and other PT forums.

Tom and I have talked many times by phone. IMHO (Tommy you know I lov ya..LOL)he went to to many doctors for help and suggestions that did not result in the cures for the aliments, so to say.

Danny I am calling ya right now....LOL

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN