Advertisements
Codes P0031 & P0037

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2015, 06:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Codes P0031 & P0037

Hello, I am new to this forum so let me say first that I appreciate any advise or help you can provide.

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser GT with no mods at all. I have been getting the P0031 and P0037 codes, and cannot get them to go away. I have replaced the plugs and the O2 Sensors with OE units. Checked all the grounds and fuses.

Reading on another forum they say that this is likely caused by the ECM deteriorating from the increased under hood temps associated with the Turbo Cruisers.

So now I am down to purchasing a new or remanufactured ECM.
I can get a new unit and get it programmed by the local Chrysler dealer for about $700. I have read on that other forum that buying a re-man unit will often not resolve the issue because the re-man companies don't really replace any of the circuit boards inside the ECM. So when buying a re-man unit, I need to purchase the lifetime warranty.

I searched this site but could not find much information on this specific issue.
Does anyone here have experience with this problem, and if so, how did you solve it? OE unit or Re-Man Stage 1? Or something else, really simple??
All help is very much appreciated.
Old 01 Jun 2015, 08:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Codes P0031 & P0037

Quote:
Originally Posted by Style View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum so let me say first that I appreciate any advise or help you can provide.

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser GT with no mods at all. I have been getting the P0031 and P0037 codes, and cannot get them to go away. I have replaced the plugs and the O2 Sensors with OE units. Checked all the grounds and fuses.

Reading on another forum they say that this is likely caused by the ECM deteriorating from the increased under hood temps associated with the Turbo Cruisers.

So now I am down to purchasing a new or remanufactured ECM.
I can get a new unit and get it programmed by the local Chrysler dealer for about $700. I have read on that other forum that buying a re-man unit will often not resolve the issue because the re-man companies don't really replace any of the circuit boards inside the ECM. So when buying a re-man unit, I need to purchase the lifetime warranty.

I searched this site but could not find much information on this specific issue.
Does anyone here have experience with this problem, and if so, how did you solve it? OE unit or Re-Man Stage 1? Or something else, really simple??
All help is very much appreciated.
This website is similar to what your conclusions are on fixing the problem.

Forums: Codes P0031 & 37 | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 02 Jun 2015, 08:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks much. I will pursue the Stage I from Jeggs first and if that doesn't pan out I'll take her to the local Chrysler Dealer.

I very much appreciate the guidance!

Style !!
Old 02 Jun 2015, 10:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had those code issues for a long time. The car would occasionally stumble now and then. I got a reman ecu from ebay. That resolved all my code and drivability issues.

2004 PTGT 123Kmiles