Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By soonercruiser
  • 1 Post By GOLDNPT
  • 1 Post By GOLDNPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2015, 10:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Bad news....

Hey guys, I haven't been on in a while. There's a lot been going on in my neck of the woods. My wife had a baby, we had a little beautiful boy, full head of hair. I've switched jobs, so like I said a lots been going on. In all this personal stuff going on I parked my pt due to my brother borrowing it. He seemed to have over boosted in it blowing piston #4 and possibly #3. The engine only had 84k on it. It all started when I was trying to figure out why I haven't been getting the boost I should have. I adjusted the waste gate thinking that since it was aftermarket, whoever put it on before me didn't have it adjusted right. Well I adjusted it and was getting the right amount of boost. But something just seemed off.
Well, I parked it due to my wife having the baby and her not driving her car, so mine didn't get driven much and my brother needed to borrow it. (hes usually not this bad on cars.) So while he had it he found another manual boost controller someone had installed under the dash zip tied to the steering column. So whoever owned it prior to me had put not only 1 but 2 manual boost controllers on this pt. Well he pulled it out and went cruising one sat night. He took it to a local track and on the first run over boosted the engine and here I am. I was originally hoping he'd just blown the head gasket, because in the video from his camera and what he told me was that there was no noise or indication that my piston had gone. It just started miss firing. well after a few days of me pulling the head, we had discovered that #4 is missing the side of the piston. yippie. So now I'm in a search for a good block.

2003 Dream Cruiser #0794, MSD wires, MSD Box, Borla exhaust, K&N coldair intake, Rear fiberglass rollpan, Xenon side skirts, Rear window cover. Pinstriping on tailgate and hood.
Custom teardrop tailights, drilled/slotted rotors. Custom interior, boost gauge and wideband in A-pillar, lowered on Ebach adjustable coilovers, sway bars, and bushings. Diablosport Intune with modified 93 tune. AGP aftermarket wastegate. Fresh rebuilt engine with forged wiesco pistons bored. 020"over.

Last edited by Turboguy85; 03 Jun 2015 at 10:43 pm.
Old 04 Jun 2015, 09:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bad news....

Should be able to find a good used engine at the pic and pull places for cheap out your way. Kinda obvious why the brother needs to borrow a car. No respect for even someone else's car. He should be buying you a motor.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 04 Jun 2015 at 09:53 am.
Old 04 Jun 2015, 10:46 am
Veteran Cruiser

Congrats on the boy. Sorry to hear about the piston. And curious what did it run at the track?
Old 04 Jun 2015, 04:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Bad news....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
Congrats on the boy. Sorry to hear about the piston. And curious what did it run at the track?
Gonna bet he ran "away", really fast!
Turboguy85 likes this.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 04 Jun 2015, 06:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Dont know what it ran at the track. Didn't get to finish. And like I said previously. It wasn't his fault. I had adjust my wastegate and forgot about it. He had pulled out a manual boost controller that was under the dash I had not known was there. When he hooked up the vacuum lines properly, the wastegate made the turbo overboost causeing pre ignition.

2003 Dream Cruiser #0794, MSD wires, MSD Box, Borla exhaust, K&N coldair intake, Rear fiberglass rollpan, Xenon side skirts, Rear window cover. Pinstriping on tailgate and hood.
Custom teardrop tailights, drilled/slotted rotors. Custom interior, boost gauge and wideband in A-pillar, lowered on Ebach adjustable coilovers, sway bars, and bushings. Diablosport Intune with modified 93 tune. AGP aftermarket wastegate. Fresh rebuilt engine with forged wiesco pistons bored. 020"over.
Old 04 Jun 2015, 06:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

For some reason the engines around here are hard to find. If you do find one its got 165k mi and they want 800$ for it....

Old 04 Jun 2015, 08:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboguy85 View Post
Dont know what it ran at the track. Didn't get to finish. And like I said previously. It wasn't his fault. I had adjust my wastegate and forgot about it. He had pulled out a manual boost controller that was under the dash I had not known was there. When he hooked up the vacuum lines properly, the wastegate made the turbo overboost causeing pre ignition.
Not asking this to rub salt in the wound but did he let you know he was taking your car to the track to see how fast it would go?

Just seems like a heck of a thing to do with a borrowed car from any one.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 04 Jun 2015, 09:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

yes. He did. He noticed the boost controller at the track. It all happened in a matter of mins. He helped me with the teardown of the engine. Thats when we discovered #4. Hes not bad with cars. It was just bad timing.

Old 05 Jun 2015, 08:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
yes. He did. He noticed the boost controller at the track. It all happened in a matter of mins. He helped me with the teardown of the engine. Thats when we discovered #4. Hes not bad with cars. It was just bad timing.
Wow I'm sorry needing a car to borrow to take to the track is not on my priority list to lone for. If you go to the track expect to tow them home. Happens a bunch. I f I had a full on drag car I wouldn't loun it to someone to take to the track. Until you figure this out You can expect to find yourself in this predicament again down the road.
You may have to take a road trip for an engine. Some of these guys find cheap pik a part places. Try to find and call some of these and drive to pick up one. Maybe someone will post up the name of some of these so you can check them out.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Jun 2015, 08:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
I figured he did but just thought I would ask. I enjoy watching that youtube video of the PT taking it to a Mustang GT on the 1/4 mile drag run-did it twice as I remember. Man I would sure hate to be the guy in a Mustang GT getting beat by the PT Cruiser-sure he is still hearing about that.

Any way sorry to hear about your misfortune. Wish you luck in finding a good replacement engine.
Turboguy85 likes this.