Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gas Idiot Light Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2004, 09:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Gas Idiot Light Question

This is my first post on the Forum. Am on my 2nd cruiser my first one lasted 10K miles before I had to trade it for a new '04 Turbo.

My question deals with the 'your almost out of gas' idiot light. Mine seems to come on really early, or earlier than I am used to - and it varies. I've had it come on and require only 11.5 gals of fuel and then had it come on and need all of 12.5 gals - but it's supposed to be a 15 gallon fuel tank! Any one else seen this?

Is this an indication that my 15 gallong tank may only let me take 13 or 14 gallons? Have not talked to the dealer, but it is due for a 3000 mile, dealer recommended and free service.

In advance Thanks!

Old 11 May 2004, 09:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptgt2point4

Yea mine also seems to go on early...once it went on i filled up and only took 12 gal. had 3 left was only expecting like 1-1 1/2 [:I]
Old 11 May 2004, 10:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

According to my Owners Manual (2001 Limited Edition) I have 15.0 gallons. The low light comes on at 1/8 tank of fuel left (1.87 GAL)and the light starts blinking with 1.5 gallons left inside.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 May 2004, 11:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Being that the fuel is the only coolant for the fuel pump in the tank, you would be wise to refill long before the light comes on.

A $210 fuel pump and $200 labor for installation is good reason to keep the pump submerged in cooling fuel at all times.

I replace a lot of fuel pumps, but none on the customers who keep it above 1/4 at all times.

Old 12 May 2004, 08:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for those who responded, don't feel so bad now.
Old 12 May 2004, 11:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Good info MX-5. Not being a mechanic of any sorts I would have never even considered that. From now on my tank will get filled no lower than the 1/4 level. Thanks.
Old 12 May 2004, 06:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

$200 labor? With an empty tank it's like a one hour job. I know you're a mechanic MX, but that seems kinda high. [:I] It took me less than 2 hours (i think) and it was my first time. But as you stated, Don't run the tank low. Pay'm now, or pay'm later[8]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 12 May 2004, 07:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Only took the mechanic who dropped my tank for the first gasket recall about 1 hour. But then again that's all he was doing was working on the PT's recall so I guess he got pretty good at it after a couple dozen times.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 May 2004, 12:21 am
Cool Cruiser

The tech did not remove the tank for the recall. They only lowered it to access the seal.
There are several hoses, wiring, and EVAP lines going to the tank to contend with. Siphoning out the old fuel, dropping the tank, cleaning the tank, installing the new pump, clearing any EVAP and lean engine codes with a scanner, and testing the system prior to delivery can get a labor charge in the $200 range.
It's $60 anytime my $4000 scanner gets plugged into ANY car or truck.