PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
NA to Turbo Swap

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2015, 06:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile NA to Turbo Swap

ok, after looking for several hours, finally decided to join. I have an 03 Limited na auto pt cruiser, bought it cheap not running. Then came across a running 05 auto turbod convertible with lower miles, for $200 bux. What all needs to come off the 05 convertible and put onto the 03 to make the turbo motor work right? Instead of telling me to just buy one already turbod, i only have $900 into both cars, and i know theyll swap, plus i have the time. Just needing info on what i need to take off and swap. Whos already done a swap? Thanks, Gary
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 06:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: NA to Turbo Swap

Or if someone could point me in the right direction of a how to that would be great also.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 06:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

Okay, Gary.

You have actually done the one thing that will make this a lot easier. You have a donor turbo PT. That's great.

The very best plan is going to be to swap the engine, tranny, CV shafts, all drive train accessories, cooling system, electrical and PCM.

Here's why. The turbo engine has beefier internals than the NA engine. And the turbo PT's have the 41TE tranny while NA PT's after 2002 got the 40TE that is built a little lighter. And the vacuum system, eletricals and PCM are required to control the turbo and correct timing and fuel.

Also, you will need the SKIM unit and grey key from the turbo doner car. Because the PCM is mated to those and will only allow the engine to run a few seconds before shut down if it doesn't find the matching SKIM and key. That can be fixed by having the PCM flashed to the VIN of the other car. But with the donor SKIM and key, it will work. And after you get this beast running, you may want to consider another PCM since that's all that's needed to take the non-GT turbo (called turbo lite) up to GT horsepower. Many do this by getting a Stage 1 PCM or one from a programmer like Sykes Tuning.

If it was me, I'd drop the entire drive train together and swap it. Then the radiator and everything else under the hood. Then it's just a matter of splicing the wiring harness which can be done if you have the diagrams for both cars. With the donor car not being a GT, this actually makes it a little easier since the two cars already have the same instrument cluster and shifter.

There's likely a few other things I haven't covered. But some other members will likely and joyously point out in deficiencies in my description.

Also, why not just drive the convertible? Is there no clear title?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 Jun 2015 at 06:28 pm.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Already pulled the drive drain complete, and the wiring harness. What and where is the SKIM unit? Will i need to swap the steering column or just the ignition tumbler and door locks? Shouldnt the wire harness be plug and plug just hooking it up under the dash?
And yeah, no title on the convertible, but couldnt pass it up for the price.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 07:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeeezin2000 View Post
Already pulled the drive drain complete, and the wiring harness. What and where is the SKIM unit? Will i need to swap the steering column or just the ignition tumbler and door locks? Shouldnt the wire harness be plug and plug just hooking it up under the dash?
And yeah, no title on the convertible, but couldnt pass it up for the price.
I would swap the harness rather than just hack it up. That way everything will work. Skim and key and pcm. plus the cluster shifter. Brakes. exhaust.
NitroPT likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Jun 2015, 07:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Was planning to just swap the harness so everything plugs in correctly, just needing to know what else needed to be swapped so it runs correctly. Unplugged easily from under the dash. Both are automatics, why would i need to swap shifters? Best to swap out k-frames also? Didnt take much dropping it from donor car and putting it back in to roll it back outta the shop. I did read the brakes were bigger and had diff calipers, so planning to swap them also.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 08:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Was planning to just swap the harness so everything plugs in correctly, just needing to know what else needed to be swapped so it runs correctly. Unplugged easily from under the dash. Both are automatics, why would i need to swap shifters? Best to swap out k-frames also? Didnt take much dropping it from donor car and putting it back in to roll it back outta the shop. I did read the brakes were bigger and had diff calipers, so planning to swap them also.
What is the conv speedo register for?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 17 Jun 2015 at 08:35 pm.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 09:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What do you mean?
Old 17 Jun 2015, 09:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
What do you mean?
120 140 If 120 you don't need the speedo or the shifter. If 140 you need both.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 17 Jun 2015 at 10:14 pm.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 10:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Busted is trying to figure out whether you have a GT turbo, or a 'lite' turbo model. The GT's have a 140mph speedo instead of the 120mph. As well, if you have the 140, meaning you have a GT, you also have the auto-stick, so you will need to swap the instrument cluster out of the 05 and also the shifter too. If it has auto-stick, the shifter is special and allows you to manually shift electronically.

Follow this link to see the skim module. It is only held on with two short 1/4" screws. You might be tempted to try to unclip it from the bracket, but its fragile and the plastic tabs will break. Just remove it by taking out the screws.
Need help! Accidentally triggered SKIM immobilizer now car wont start!

You won't need the whole column. Just the skim module and tumbler and swap it into the 03.

While you probably don't need the k-frame, you might as well because the convertible will likely have a bigger front sway bar. Usually the bolts like to break that hold the sway bar bushings on, so for now swap the whole k-frame with sway bar included, and worry about breaking the bolts if you need to change the bushings, at some later date.

Last edited by myckee; 17 Jun 2015 at 10:23 pm.