PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bad Turbo

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jun 2015, 01:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bad Turbo

I have a 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo Automatic with 2.4 motor, the turbo has quit working and I want to know if u can take the turbo out and leave it and if so how do u do it. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 25 Jun 2015, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bad Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudd66 View Post
I have a 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo Automatic with 2.4 motor, the turbo has quit working and I want to know if u can take the turbo out and leave it and if so how do u do it. Thanks in advance for your help.
You can remove it. Or totally remove it. You say it doesn't work explain that for us. It's got to be a real slow turd if not working at all.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Jun 2015, 02:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The bearings in the turbo r bad, u can reach in and turn turbo any way u want. I have replaced the all vacuum hoses, timing belt and oil sending unit. It will not go over 40 mph up hill and after a few miles it starts acting like it's choking and won't go over 25 mph and engine light flashes.
Old 25 Jun 2015, 05:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
The bearings in the turbo r bad, u can reach in and turn turbo any way u want. I have replaced the all vacuum hoses, timing belt and oil sending unit. It will not go over 40 mph up hill and after a few miles it starts acting like it's choking and won't go over 25 mph and engine light flashes.
Was it running this way before the work was done? Why would you want to continue to run this bad. Because the engine will not run better with out the turbo. Compression is lower on turbo than n/a.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Jun 2015, 08:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm not running it at the time, it has no power and tried to die so I have it parked that's why I'm asking about the turbo. Is told u can remove it but if it makes no difference that would be pointless, I'm just trying to figure out what else to do to fix it. When I purchased the car ask the vacuum houses has been cut off, not sure what they were planning to do to it but I assume they knew the turbo was bad and just didn't say and I was told I only needed a new timing belt but that wasn't the case apparently. Sounds like I need to replace the turbo right?
Old 25 Jun 2015, 08:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I'm not running it at the time, it has no power and tried to die so I have it parked that's why I'm asking about the turbo. Is told u can remove it but if it makes no difference that would be pointless, I'm just trying to figure out what else to do to fix it. When I purchased the car ask the vacuum houses has been cut off, not sure what they were planning to do to it but I assume they knew the turbo was bad and just didn't say and I was told I only needed a new timing belt but that wasn't the case apparently. Sounds like I need to replace the turbo right?
Maybe. Does the impeller hit the sides of the housings?

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Jun 2015, 08:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

REBUILDING THE TURBO!!!! Something to read.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Jun 2015, 11:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Well with no vacuum hoses hooked up, its hard to say if the turbo is bad or not.

I will say that your symptoms are almost exactly the same issues I had when my turbo was dead. Not only was the shaft which holds the impellers (fan blade things) broken, but the seals inside were shot too sending oil into the intercooler and therefore into the intake and when it started choking, huge plumes of oil burning smoke were pouring out the exhaust.

Anyway first you need to try to determine if the turbo is damaged as best you can without removing it. Does the little fan wiggle a lot? Does it touch the side of the housing? Can you pull on it and will it move forward? If the answer is no to all, the turbo MIGHT be ok. Hook up the vacuum lines and see if it runs better.
Old 08 Jul 2015, 10:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Re: Bad Turbo

Yep turbo is no good, we took it out and checked it and it is completely shot soooo, replacing the turbo is my only choice and I have a feeling it is going to cost more than I want to hear. Anyone know the prices of them????
Old 08 Jul 2015, 03:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

New PT Cruiser SRT 4 TD04LR Turbo Chra 1 yr Warranty Inc Compressor Cover SVC | eBay

I replaced mine a few months ago and didn't need a new housing or manifold. After checking around, this is what I bought for about $180. Add another $40 for the new oil line, $7 for manifold gaskets, and $20-$40 for the oil change. And when I had a problem I was able to get someone on the phone who helped me nail it.
pudd66 likes this.