Advertisements
Bent Rim [Replacement Choices?]

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2015, 12:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs down Bent Rim [Replacement Choices?]

Hello All.

A bit of background:
I got my PT Cruiser 2003 GT Turbo about 8 months ago as my very first car but sadly I hit a snow bank pretty hard last winter and my rear passenger side rim is completely bent. I took it to my local mech and he said it was behind repairable but to try my luck at his best reference Silver Touch Repair. I went there just last week and sadly they removed the bad rim and tested it and in about 5 minutes told me that it is truly not repairable.

My issue:

I would like to drive back to my hometown in NJ but the drive is around 6 hours from my current location in Rochester, NY. The bent rim makes the car a bit shaky after 50 mphs. Also, because of the odd shape the bent rim is in, it has destroyed my tire's track but all my tires are so worn out as well.

My Question:

Does anyone know what I can do? I am looking to just replace all 4X tires and if it is in the same ball park to replace all the rims as well.

I have tried to check craigslist: rochester, NY jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events with the search "17" 5x100 rim" as well as "5x100 rim"
Old 30 Jun 2015, 01:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Bent Rim [Replacement Choices?]

Just click on auto parts on your craigslist link and thumb through the ads. Most people don't know the particulars about their wheels.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 01:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

That would be a long drive at 50 mph. It would also be a very long way to drive on the donut spare tire {but I have know folks that have gone farther one}

Personally I would look around at junkyards for hopefully a matching wheel perhaps with a good tire on it. When I was younger I ran a lot of junkyard tires on my vehicles simply because they were cheap in price.

That is not the case so much these days however. Still when I had to replace a wheel that the rim edge had been broken off of on my '05 Dodge Neon a few years ago.

I could have gotten a new one from the local Dodge boys for around $300.00 or ordered a used one from a vendor on eBay for around $150.00 but as luck would have it the local U PULL A PART place had the same year Neon sitting there and I got a wheel with a decent tire for $75.00.

Naturally with you being on the east coast right near the big city you will probably pay more.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.

Last edited by KA9VQF; 30 Jun 2015 at 01:22 pm.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 02:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

2007 chrysler pt cruiser wheel tire

Maybe buy this one for the rear until you find a replacement. Has to be safer than what you got.
2004 Dream Cruiser / 5 speed Traded for 12 Veloster
2003 GT / Blue / Auto /sold
2001 Touring/ Silver / 5 speed /sold on E Bay
Old 30 Jun 2015, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by theacex View Post
Hello All.

A bit of background:
I got my PT Cruiser 2003 GT Turbo about 8 months ago as my very first car but sadly I hit a snow bank pretty hard last winter and my rear passenger side rim is completely bent. I took it to my local mech and he said it was behind repairable but to try my luck at his best reference Silver Touch Repair. I went there just last week and sadly they removed the bad rim and tested it and in about 5 minutes told me that it is truly not repairable.

My issue:

I would like to drive back to my hometown in NJ but the drive is around 6 hours from my current location in Rochester, NY. The bent rim makes the car a bit shaky after 50 mphs. Also, because of the odd shape the bent rim is in, it has destroyed my tire's track but all my tires are so worn out as well.

My Question:

Does anyone know what I can do? I am looking to just replace all 4X tires and if it is in the same ball park to replace all the rims as well.

I have tried to check craigslist: rochester, NY jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events with the search "17" 5x100 rim" as well as "5x100 rim"
Go to Tire Rack. I bought wheels and tires for what tires alone would cost - and they came mounted and balanced right to my door, just had to bolt them on.
Call them - there is a way to get 16" rims (they wheels and tires are cheaper than 17") with assurance that the will clear the turbo brake calipers - I did it but forgot - I think it was winter packages, let you pick a different diameter.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles