PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Blew my Turbo or Engine on my beloved 07 GT

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2015, 10:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Angry Blew my Turbo or Engine on my beloved 07 GT

I punched my 07 GT to kick in the turbo, only has 53,000 miles. The turbo whined and then didn't stop whining after I backed off. Continued whining and sounded like a siren when I accelerated but seemed to drive alright. Drove about 10 miles home. Then started white smoke from tailpipe. Was not overheating on gauge. I took it to a local mechanic. They can't look at it until Thursday. I love the car and hope it can be fixed.
Old 01 Jul 2015, 01:22 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Blew my Turbo or Engine on my beloved 07 GT

Odd for 53,000 miles?? White smoke is usually coolant. Hopefully it's a coolant line maybe going to the turbo?? Otherwise blown headgasket!

Keep us posted!
Old 01 Jul 2015, 01:46 am
Cool Cruiser

I believe white smoke is actually usually indicative of an oil issue not coolant.

-2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
-Patriot Blue, Bright Silver Metallic rear spoiler, billet grille, 17" chrome wheels, hyperground cable, Spectre short ram CAI
-119,000 miles and counting ...
Old 01 Jul 2015, 07:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edscrz View Post
I punched my 07 GT to kick in the turbo, only has 53,000 miles. The turbo whined and then didn't stop whining after I backed off. Continued whining and sounded like a siren when I accelerated but seemed to drive alright. Drove about 10 miles home. Then started white smoke from tailpipe. Was not overheating on gauge. I took it to a local mechanic. They can't look at it until Thursday. I love the car and hope it can be fixed.
I'm not that up on these tiny turbos like they put on our toy cars. But on big trucks and heavy equipment, these are symptoms of a blown turbo.

The PT turbo is water-cooled. If the bushing and seals go out, water may be able to enter the intake side and it makes the engine blow white smoke. This happens on some big trucks as well. If your engine has never over heated, this is a possibility.

On big trucks, early turbo failure like this is often related to oil circulation. If it was me, I would check to assure the oil lines running to the turbo were not clogged. If a lower grade motor oil was used in the past, it may have burnt while circulating through the turbo and allowed carbon to build up in the turbo oil lines or in the oil passages within the turbo itself. And in the future, be sure to use a good synthetic oil like Mobile One.

Again, my experience is with big turbocharged diesel engines. Your mileage may very.
dougs likes this.
Old 01 Jul 2015, 02:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just heard from the mechanic. They want $3800 to replace Turbo, Manifold and oil lines. This is a brand new Turbo from Chrysler. He is an independent garage not the dealer and he does not recommend going with a remanufactured turbo. shoud I pay the $3,800 ?
Old 01 Jul 2015, 03:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well that seems really high to me i know a lot opn here have rebuilt there turbo if probaly ask nitro hos opinion or just wait till some others chime in but that sure seems like a lot of just the turbo and lines
Old 01 Jul 2015, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

$3800 !!?? that's more than my whole car cost...
dalandon likes this.
Old 01 Jul 2015, 04:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edscrz View Post
Just heard from the mechanic. They want $3800 to replace Turbo, Manifold and oil lines. This is a brand new Turbo from Chrysler. He is an independent garage not the dealer and he does not recommend going with a remanufactured turbo. shoud I pay the $3,800 ?
No That is way too expensive. You need to go rebuilt but use the right people. 767skyking or Nitro_PT have the name of a first rate company. The oil line you can pickup cheap on ebay.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Jul 2015, 06:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
No That is way too expensive. You need to go rebuilt but use the right people. 767skyking or Nitro_PT have the name of a first rate company. The oil line you can pickup cheap on ebay.
A great big +1

$3,800 is beyond ridiculous.
Old 01 Jul 2015, 06:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

I don't know what the company skyking or nitro charges, but you can even buy a completebrand newturbo, complete with new manifold, as well as all the oil lines for about $600 on ebay. Pretty much the same thing the dealer is charging $3800 for. Is it as good quality as the factory Chrysler stuff? Maybe not, but you could buy SIX of them at the same cost as ONE from the dealer.

Likely the rebuilt one from the shop busted alluded too will be better, but this is just another option to consider.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.