PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2.4 Turbo Spark Plug Tube Seals

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2015, 07:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default 2.4 Turbo Spark Plug Tube Seals

Okay Guys, as a newbie here, I'm sure you've all heard this question before, but I'm going to ask again. Do I need to remove the valve cover from my 03 GT in order to replace the spark plug tube seals? If so, does the intake need to come off too? I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty as I've been pulling my own wrenches for over 40 years. I just need a litte guidance and any suggestions for making the job go as smoothly as possible. I have had two brain surgeries and have bad discs in my low back, along with a cyst in my middle to upper spine. I have trouble bending for very long and suffer severe headaches if I lean over too much too. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I pulled #1 spark plug in order to replace the plugs and wires today and the plug was covered in oil, on the outside. I'm guessing this MAY have something to do with the slight miss I am experiencing. Thanks for the help.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 07:53 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2.4 Turbo Spark Plug Tube Seals

Smelled oil burning on my 04 , opened the hood , no smoke but when i pulled the plug wires also covered in oil to the top of the plug , going to change the valve cover gaskets and seals today , you DO need to take off the manifold { just pull it up and tie it to the hood latch out of the way } just by looking at it this morning after coffee , doesnt seem like that big a job , but basically everything over the valve cover needs to come off , im thinking maybe even the power steering res. too ,
Old 01 Aug 2015, 08:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Okay Guys, as a newbie here, I'm sure you've all heard this question before, but I'm going to ask again. Do I need to remove the valve cover from my 03 GT in order to replace the spark plug tube seals? If so, does the intake need to come off too? I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty as I've been pulling my own wrenches for over 40 years. I just need a litte guidance and any suggestions for making the job go as smoothly as possible. I have had two brain surgeries and have bad discs in my low back, along with a cyst in my middle to upper spine. I have trouble bending for very long and suffer severe headaches if I lean over too much too. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I pulled #1 spark plug in order to replace the plugs and wires today and the plug was covered in oil, on the outside. I'm guessing this MAY have something to do with the slight miss I am experiencing. Thanks for the help.
Yes....

You will need to remove both the intake and valve cover to replace the spark plug well seals. The seals will come with the new head gasket. Chrysler really skimped on the original head gasket and many of them leak. I've owned three 2.4L so far and they have all leaked.

Here's a thread that shows the repair. It's a 2001 NA Limited, but the same general procedure applies to the GT.

The "Handy" Tune-Up

boonie2 and myckee like this.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 08:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Good plan on the plugs and wires. It was probably the wires causing the miss. They are pretty junky and almost everyone that swaps them out, for just about any new wire, notices a drastic improvement.

That said, yes, you need to remove the valve cover to change those seals. The seals push into a groove on the bottom of the cover.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 09:32 am
Veteran Cruiser

Thanks for the quick responses, fellas. I do appreciate it. Looking at the plug wires, three of them are Mopar (oem?) and the wire on #1 is some off brand. Some idiot put Autolite plugs in it too, so of course, they'll be replaced with Champions. I believe in OEM equipment. I figure the engineers put them in there for a reason, so I'm not going to argue. Should I go for the Mopar valve cover gasket or is Fel-Pro okay? I've used Fel-Pro gaskets for over 40 years and never had any problems with getting them to seal. Is there something special about the 2.4 valve cover gasket?
Old 01 Aug 2015, 11:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There's nothing unique about the 2.4L valve cover gasket other than the OEM gaskets don't seem to last.

I like Fel-pro. You can see the quality in the gasket in my photo above. But there's other good brands too. I don't want to start a war over gasket brands. So use the brand you feel comfortable with.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 01:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Well, as I've been pressed for time as I'm doing a lot of work on my house and our church in Winter Haven, I just put the plugs and wires in the car and changed the air filter and put a cabin air filter in. It didn't have the cabin filter and I wanted one. Got that done and then my boy and I headed to the salvage yard to get a bumper. Score! Got one with fog lights in it. Fifty bucks out the door. I need to clean it up some before I put it on and repair a couple of holes that had been ripped out of it. Anyone know if the fog lights are on a separate switch? Mine didn't have them and now that I do, I'd like to take advantage as long as it's not going to be a pain to wire them. I can do simple wiring like splicing and soldering and I do know to use good connectors and shrink tubing. So, any tips on hooking up the fog lights or should I just have them for "looks"? LOL Thanks again, guys. You all rock it here. Oh, quick funny. On the way home the CEL came on. Turns out I left a little vacuum line off the intake hose when I pulled and replaced the plugs. Put it back on and cleared the codes. I had a "manufacturer specific" code of P1188. TPS sensor code, I think.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 03:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

if you dont have fog lights and want them functional you'll need a multi-function switch with fog option, relay and fuse. From memory i think everything else if there from factory as long as you have the plug-ins for the lights. When i put the fog kit on my pt it came with wiring but everything was there already from factory, just tucked up and away. All i had to do was plug them in and pop the relay, fuse and switch in.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 04:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thanks, Ajaxzem. I guess for now, they'll just be for looks. I'll have to go back to the scrapyard, I guess and get the multi-function switch and relay. The fuse, I have on hand, most likely. Can you tell me where that relay is located? As far as the switch, I'm guessing you're talking about the stalk on the steering wheel that turns on the lights and operates the turn signals? Thanks again. I just got the new bumper on and it looks okay. Not great, but better than the old, busted one.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 06:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes switch is on stalk on left of wheel same as headlamp switch. Same as non fog switch except it goes one click forward for running lights then you can pull outward (to the left) one click and turn on fogs, next click forward for headlamps. I always drive with fogs at night for the extra light. Everyone around here seems to have forgotten about high low etiquette a long time ago, and though annoying i still try not the be the ass blinding everyone so mine aren't angled too high up. I believe the relay in in the pdc under the hood and the fuse is inside under the knee panel, #8 i think?? There should be plenty of info if you search disabling fog lamps since so many ppl have had to do this when the switch goes bad. In my opinion most aftermarket switches are better than oem for longevity.

Last edited by Ajaxzem; 01 Aug 2015 at 06:49 pm. Reason: real bad typing