PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 GT Turbo Timing Belt: when to replace?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ajaxzem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2015, 02:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 GT Turbo Timing Belt: when to replace?

Hi guys,

I have a 2006 High Output GT Turbo Convertible with 34K miles. I know it's supposed to be changed before 100K miles but it's 9 years old now so should I be concerned at all? Not sure if the belt is supposed to be changed at 10 years or not (regardless of the low mileage). Anyone know?
Old 19 Aug 2015, 02:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 GT Turbo Timing Belt: when to replace?

That's a matter of opinion.

I drove my 2005 GT right up to 97,000 miles before I changed the belt. And I felt pretty safe doing that.

If it was me, I would not change the timing belt on a 2006 PT with only 34,000 miles on it. I don't believe that nine or ten years is long enough for age to play a factor if the car is well taken care of. But like I said, this is a matter of opinion. If something makes you fear that the belt will break, then replace it. Worrying, even when unfounded, will shorten your life.
Old 19 Aug 2015, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangar View Post
Hi guys,

I have a 2006 High Output GT Turbo Convertible with 34K miles. I know it's supposed to be changed before 100K miles but it's 9 years old now so should I be concerned at all? Not sure if the belt is supposed to be changed at 10 years or not (regardless of the low mileage). Anyone know?
I believe it 7yr. on the time. About a 100k. There is a few different numbers around. If you leave it parked for long stretches I would be a little concerned about dry rot. If it's in the move somewhat regular bases. Not as big of problem on the dry rot issue. In the other hand. You can get away with just a belt. At that milage.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Aug 2015, 04:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
That's a matter of opinion.

I drove my 2005 GT right up to 97,000 miles before I changed the belt. And I felt pretty safe doing that.

If it was me, I would not change the timing belt on a 2006 PT with only 34,000 miles on it. I don't believe that nine or ten years is long enough for age to play a factor if the car is well taken care of. But like I said, this is a matter of opinion. If something makes you fear that the belt will break, then replace it. Worrying, even when unfounded, will shorten your life.
I believe it was "soonercruiser" who thought the same...then a week later his belt snapped.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 19 Aug 2015, 05:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Man dont talk like that my
05 GT has 61000

Old 22 Aug 2015, 01:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

it's all relative. some belts in some climates will go a long time, Some others in some different climates will not. If the time is up ( 7-8 years) then i would change it if i was you. One the other hand, being me i would roll the dice and go the mileage. But thats me in my climate and i hate timing belts. When i bought mine it had just had the belt changed 500 miles before, so i didnt have to worry. I got a 00 VW beetle for my wife a year ago and i didnt know the belt history mainenance so i changed it just to be safe. AN unknown GT i might do the same but a base engine i might not. In the end it's a toss up. I new belt can break in not installed properly. I've also seen original belts go 200k+. Have a piece of mind and change it right, or get that creeping feeling whenever you take a long trip.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 22 Aug 2015, 02:55 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Always error on the side of good judgement.
Preventative maintenance, relative to the famous "PT Cruiser timing belt question" is GOOD ADVISE!
It can mean you won't be stranded in southern Georgia for two and a half days getting a road side repair of the timing belt with all the excitement that's involved with an experience like I had! Yahoo, now that it's behind me it makes for a great story! But as Larry the Cable Guy says; "Get-er-done!"
Happy PTin', ptprice