Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stiff Clutch on '03 GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2015, 09:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stiff Clutch on '03 GT

I don't post very often, but I've been around since the original ptcruiserclub.org days. I hope someone can help me.

I've recently noticed that the clutch on my '03 GT feels pretty stiff. It engages smoothly and doesn't make any weird noises, but it just seems to require more effort than before. It's not a "bound-up" feel like something is rubbing, it just feels like more spring tension, if that makes any sense.

Background:
  • I've had it since new. The clutch was replaced at about 80K miles, and it now has 123K.
  • The car is driven very gently. I've had a couple of mechanical issues that have made me a little gun-shy about "spirited driving."
  • Since it's the turbo, it has the dual mass clutch set-up, which makes it expensive to replace and harder to work on.
  • The fluid level is okay, and I haven't had to add any. The pedal height and free-play are normal.

It may just be my imagination, since I have other stick-shift cars with varying levels of clutch effort. But every time I drive the PT, it catches my attention, so I'm a little concerned.

Can anyone think of a possible cause? Or should I just cross my fingers and drive it? Any help will be appreciated.

-Stu