Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The good, the bad, and the mods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2004, 01:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yobiebs
Default The good, the bad, and the mods...

So this past Saturday night, I watched as a car coming down a hill and a curve towards me totally fishtailed, tried to over-correct, and did a full 180 as it was coming towards me. Car was pretty much totally sideways as I swerved as best I could on a wet road to try to get out of the way, but the guy caught me on the rear driver side, behind the wheel.

After cleaning it up a bit and getting the white paint from the other car off, it looks like there's a chunk taken out of the rear bumper that I don't think will be able to be fixed. Also, I think that the top part of the bumper, where it locks into place, has been broken as well. So it's off to the body shop some time soon for a checkup.

The good news, this whole thing could have been much worse. If I hadn't swerved at all, or had not been paying attention, I would have hit him head on right into his passenger door.

The bad news, whatever the damage, it's gonna cost some $$$. This shouldn't be too bad, though, as the dude has already said he wants to pay for it and not go through insurance.

And the mods.... If it does need to be replaced, should I go with a new rollpan instead of replacing the factory bumper? Possibly throw in the additional $$ myself?

What do y'all think?
Old 17 May 2004, 01:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Brian, Sorry to hear about the incident THAT REALLY SUCKS. If there is anything that I can do to help please let me know. About the roll Pan, if you are interested in it now is the time to do something. I let the insurance adjuster do his thing, and following that I negotiated a deal with the body shop as to what I wanted done and the cost. There were some tradeoffs which made the overall out of pocket expense more reasonable.
Old 17 May 2004, 04:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you think you have damage now, wait till someone hits you in the rear with a roll pan instead of a bumper! OUCH [B)]

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 May 2004, 03:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

If you think you have damage now, wait till someone hits you in the rear with a roll pan instead of a bumper! OUCH [B)]
You can say that again! I got a "love tap" [xx(] into my rear bumper on the way to to Las Vegas that ended up costing over $3,000. [B)] If I had a rollpan instead of the stock bumper I'm sure the rear hatch glass would have been broken, and the impact might have been enough to torque the body enough to make the car un-driveable. With the bumper still in place there was enough "crunchable" bits that it ate up the bulk of the damage before it got to the more vital bits of the car.

Hardsuit
Old 18 May 2004, 04:18 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hardsuit

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

You can say that again! I got a "love tap" [xx(] into my rear bumper on the way to to Las Vegas that ended up costing over $3,000. [B)] If I had a rollpan instead of the stock bumper I'm sure the rear hatch glass would have been broken, and the impact might have been enough to torque the body enough to make the car un-driveable. With the bumper still in place there was enough "crunchable" bits that it ate up the bulk of the damage before it got to the more vital bits of the car.

Hardsuit
A roll pan looks very cool but when it gets hit there is no protection. With a little over 200 miles on my GT an old woman backed into my GT and luckily there was no damage. If I'd had a roll pan there would have been. Sometimes looking cool isn't worth it because of other drivers.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 18 May 2004, 10:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'd watch out for that guy saying he'll pay for it. I got rear ended a few years ago and the lady said she'd pay for it. I got all her info and got some estimates and gave them to her. I tried to call her a couple of days later to see what she had decided to do and she had skipped town. Never saw her again and had to pay for it myself. Thats what I get for trying to be nice!
Old 18 May 2004, 12:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yobiebs

Yeah, at this point, I'm thinking I just want to get it replaced. I'd rather save the extra $$ for stage 1 or something else.

Thanks all for the input!

The Philadelphia Flyer
Old 18 May 2004, 01:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If you are going to consider a rollpan, get one that retains the crash bar. There are some with a bulge in them to accomodate these. I think teazer and Cali Cruisers make them.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html