PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 pt cruiser 2.4l Turbo came without turbo

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2015, 03:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 pt cruiser 2.4l Turbo came without turbo

My fiancÚs' dad recently bought her a 2003 pt cruiser 2.4l turbo, but it came with the turbo completely removed. I want to replace it but have very little knowledge with turbos. Does anyone have any suggestions, photos, guides, videos or anything that can really help me with where everything goes.

Also, I am not clueless when doing mechanical work I replace a lot of my own parts and stuff.

other questions:

1. There is a harness that runs right on the back firewall that has 4 ports on it what is it called so I can find the replacement for the second half.

2. can I just run braided oil/coolant lines instead of buying replacement ones because the person who removed the turbo just cut and bent all the lines.

3. The intercooler is still in the car but doesn't have any of the piping should I be worried about replacing it?

Ps: thank you for your time!
Old 10 Sep 2015, 05:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 pt cruiser 2.4l Turbo came without turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by subclassic View Post
My fiancÚs' dad recently bought her a 2003 pt cruiser 2.4l turbo, but it came with the turbo completely removed. I want to replace it but have very little knowledge with turbos. Does anyone have any suggestions, photos, guides, videos or anything that can really help me with where everything goes.

Also, I am not clueless when doing mechanical work I replace a lot of my own parts and stuff.

other questions:

1. There is a harness that runs right on the back firewall that has 4 ports on it what is it called so I can find the replacement for the second half.

2. can I just run braided oil/coolant lines instead of buying replacement ones because the person who removed the turbo just cut and bent all the lines.

3. The intercooler is still in the car but doesn't have any of the piping should I be worried about replacing it?

First I believe the Turbo Engine is Different than the NA
You will have to make sure which on you have in the car.

The Turbo PCM is different than the NA (that is the 4 port computer on the fire wall) it measures about 8 x 10
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 10 Sep 2015, 05:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Some pictures of the engine would help...where the parts are missing.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 10 Sep 2015, 05:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by subclassic View Post

other questions:

Okay. So what are saying is that your future father-in-law bought this car not running and with the turbo removed?

If this is the case, we will need photos to see what's really missing. And in the end, you will need everything that is missing. Chances are you will need to find a salvage turbo PT you can take parts off of. Most parts are unique to the turbo PT though you may be able to fabricate the oil lines as you described. You can also buy aftermarket intercooler pipes but at this point, you will not know what else might be missing.

Again, please post some very good photos of the engine and areas where you suspect things might be missing.
Old 10 Sep 2015, 09:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like it could be a turbo engine. Of the oil lines are there and crimped off. No holes for them on a n/a. There are several vac lines that will need addressed as well. Having one to look at will be a blessing. I rebuilt my turbo in my project thread. There are some pics of the remove and install. Might help some.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Sep 2015, 09:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's a photo of some original lines that I harvested from a PT GT. Besides these, there's a small rubber line and a larger water "pipe" that bolts to the turbo.

Old 10 Sep 2015, 12:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

If it is indeed a turbo car bought non-running without the turbo, you'll have to do quite a bit of investigating to figure out what's missing. There are quite a few vacuum lines that are ran throughout the engine bay that helps the PCM control boost. You can drastically simplify this by running an aftermarket wastegate, but that adds to the complexity of the problem.

- You can run any lines you'd like for oil/coolant, but it's important to consider the ID of the OEM lines. Coolant isn't so much of an issue as oil. Too much oil will cause the turbo to smoke and will place additional load on the moving parts of the turbo. Too little oil will burn up the turbo in short order. For coolant, if you follow the hard coolant line that comes off the thermostat housing, across the front of the engine, around to the top of the transmission bellhousing, you'll see that it comes to a "Y"-- that's where the stock coolant line runs to the turbo-- you could call this the "feed". The outlet or coolant "drain" is on the back of the block. The oil lines can use standard braided lines and fittings. I don't have any information on what fittings I used for mine, so you'll need to do some research on this, but you can find appropriate AN/pipe fittings to fit the turbo.

- For the intercooler pipes.. as stated, I would go aftermarket on this. No point in paying a premium for OEM parts when aftermarket performs as good or better (if you buy into the hype of rubber expanding under pressure) as stock.

- My advice would be to simplify the sensor/vacuum lines as much as possible. There are a plethora of options for boost leaks in the stock configuration. I'd pick up a block-off plate for the stock surge valve (located on the turbo) and make sure that your aftermarket intercooler pipes include a BOV flange.

- You can pick up an aftermarket wastegate and essentially bypass all PCM boost control. Again, this will vastly simplify the vacuum line situation for your car. Something like an FM or AGP wastegate will be adjustable and will net you around 14-15psi. The AGP is capable of boosting up to 19-20psi spikes, so be very careful adjusting the wastegate if you go this route. Any time you adjust boost or fuel, you really should have a way to monitor the behavior of the car.. this means installing a wideband air-fuel sensor and gauge. The easy route would be to just run a vacuum line from the turbo compressor housing to a stock wastegate, but you'll only see ~4psi.

Lots of options. Depends on what you want to do with the car.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Old 10 Sep 2015, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ill be posting some pictures wihin the hour and the car is running just the turbo is gone but I'll post photos soon.
Old 10 Sep 2015, 01:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Overview.jpg

unknown harness.jpg

Turbo lines.jpg

Exhuast manifold.jpg

Turbo lines 2.jpg

Turbo location.jpg
Old 10 Sep 2015, 01:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If you guys need any more photos just let me know! thank you again for all the help