• 1 Post By NitroPT
  • 2 Post By quicksilverdon
  • 1 Post By Moparman440

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2015, 11:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Please tell me that this is not stock

Guys,
I test drove a used 2004 Dream Cruiser with the stick shift. As soon as the foreign salesman started the car and revved the hell out of it for no apparent reason I noticed that the exhaust is LOUD and raspy. He then proceeded to back it into another car, not once but twice. When I finally drove it, every time I let off the gas the blow off valve would emit a loud whistle.

Since this car had a K&N looking conical air filter, I would guess that they also removed the muffler or resonator and put on a whistling blow off valve.

I looked underneath and couldn't see any obvious hack job where the muffler might be missing, but only saw pipe from front to back. No muffler, no resonator, nothing. Is this stock? What did they come with from the factory?
My daughter's '05 GT convertible is nice and quiet, so I think someone "improved" this one. Also, she is away at college so I can't go out and look at her car to answer my question.
Why would anyone want a blow off valve that makes a whistle every time it opens?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 11 Sep 2015, 11:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Please tell me that this is not stock

Your guesses on most all accounts would most likely be correct.
The exhaust on your daughter car as well the sound should be similar to the PT you test drove.
Busted_PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 11 Sep 2015, 11:46 am
Veteran Cruiser

Unless they're offering one heck of a price on that thing, I wouldn't walk away from it. I'd run. And I'm a old man, but still pretty dang fast!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 11 Sep 2015, 11:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Times two on the custom touches. Probably more.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Sep 2015, 12:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Isn't a straight pipe good for the turbos? Not stock but I think over the years I have heard of others doing it for gain.. I think... Am I right?

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 11 Sep 2015, 12:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here you go.

Last month several members posted videos of there exhaust "gurgle". You can get a very good idea of what a PT GT sounds like.

Mine is first. It had factory exhaust. The "pisss" sound is the Blow Off Valve (BOV). Mine is the Mopar style that was sold as an add-on by the dealers. According the some marketing information, this add-on BOV was supposed to be added for quicker pressure release when the turbo created higher boost due to the Stage 1 PCM. It was supposed to help better protect the turbo. Where it actually does that or is just a cool noise maker is for others to decide.

Here's the link.

Post Your PT Cruiser Deceleration Gurgle!

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 11 Sep 2015 at 12:42 pm.
Old 11 Sep 2015, 01:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman440 View Post
Guys,
I test drove a used 2004 Dream Cruiser with the stick shift. As soon as the foreign salesman started the car and revved the hell out of it for no apparent reason I noticed that the exhaust is LOUD and raspy. He then proceeded to back it into another car, not once but twice. When I finally drove it, every time I let off the gas the blow off valve would emit a loud whistle.

Since this car had a K&N looking conical air filter, I would guess that they also removed the muffler or resonator and put on a whistling blow off valve.

I looked underneath and couldn't see any obvious hack job where the muffler might be missing, but only saw pipe from front to back. No muffler, no resonator, nothing. Is this stock? What did they come with from the factory?
My daughter's '05 GT convertible is nice and quiet, so I think someone "improved" this one. Also, she is away at college so I can't go out and look at her car to answer my question.
Why would anyone want a blow off valve that makes a whistle every time it opens?
Often testosterone overcomes judgement.
Noise to one person is music to another.
CREWZIN and NitroPT like this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Sep 2015, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Often testosterone overcomes judgement.
Noise to one person is music to another.
Nice response DON!

This supports a comment I would like to make to some that don't really understand blow off valve and what they actually can and can't do.

These guys are just great and funny with many of their video's.

Enjoy!

Dill exhaust system are one of the simplest things on a vehicle and the most complicated to understand by most. There are two many factors influencing them like cylinder CR,VEs, EGT's,CFM, I.D. and O.D. length, type and number of bends, big is better but not always, small is sometimes better then big and aftermarket muffler's, seldom are they matched properly to any given application by most everyone.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 11 Sep 2015, 04:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks guys, you confirmed what I suspected. I especially enjoyed the link to all the different sounds. It's amazing how good some of your cars sound, considering they all have only 4 cylinders.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 11 Sep 2015, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman440 View Post
Thanks guys, you confirmed what I suspected. I especially enjoyed the link to all the different sounds. It's amazing how good some of your cars sound, considering they all have only 4 cylinders.
SHHHHHH! My PT Cruiser thinks it has a V-8, and a Chevy at that !

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN