PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How Common is Code P0300

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2015, 06:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default How Common is Code P0300

Okay guys, I spent most of the morning doing yard work and finally after I got it done, the wife and kids want to run to town to get some items for dinner. I told them to drive carefully as I sure didn't feel like going. Right before they start out the door and I'm heading towards the shower, my son informs me that a couple of days ago when he and my wife were in the PT, the CEL came on. Pissed me off because he waited two days to tell me. So, I grab my old OBDII scanner, hook it up and fint Code P0300. Cylinder misfire. Well, it's only been about 500 miles since I changed the plugs and wires, so I pulled the plug wires and it looked like there may have been a "touch" of corrosion on a couple of the coil terminals. I scraped them off as best I could and fired it up. No CEL came on. Revved it a few times and still no CEL. I waited until they got home and my son and I took it up the road 13 miles to the gas station. No CEL. We put some Citgo premium 93 octane in the tank and headed home. NO CEL and the damn thing is running and idling just fine. Could this be the oil that I found in a couple of tubes messing with my new plugs? I don't have the money to replace the valve cover gasket yet, but am working on that. As soon as I get the cash, I'm going to replace it along with the tube seals. Can I expect this to happen again? Thanks

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 12 Sep 2015, 06:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How Common is Code P0300

It's likely not the oil from the spark plug wells. If the plugs are torqued right, no oil from on top of the plug can leak in. And any oil that gets on the plug or in the cylinders during installation should have burned away long ago.

I would not get worried unless the code returns.

One thing to consider is the plug wires. The OEM plug wires on many a PT Cruiser seem to break down over time. If the car in near 100K and they've never been changed, it may be time.
Old 12 Sep 2015, 07:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A code P0300 can be caused by:

Faulty spark plugs or wires
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector(s)
Burned exhaust valve
Vacuum leaks
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Faulty camshaft position sensor
Defective computer
Old 12 Sep 2015, 07:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Okay guys, I spent most of the morning doing yard work and finally after I got it done, the wife and kids want to run to town to get some items for dinner. I told them to drive carefully as I sure didn't feel like going. Right before they start out the door and I'm heading towards the shower, my son informs me that a couple of days ago when he and my wife were in the PT, the CEL came on. Pissed me off because he waited two days to tell me. So, I grab my old OBDII scanner, hook it up and fint Code P0300. Cylinder misfire. Well, it's only been about 500 miles since I changed the plugs and wires, so I pulled the plug wires and it looked like there may have been a "touch" of corrosion on a couple of the coil terminals. I scraped them off as best I could and fired it up. No CEL came on. Revved it a few times and still no CEL. I waited until they got home and my son and I took it up the road 13 miles to the gas station. No CEL. We put some Citgo premium 93 octane in the tank and headed home. NO CEL and the damn thing is running and idling just fine. Could this be the oil that I found in a couple of tubes messing with my new plugs? I don't have the money to replace the valve cover gasket yet, but am working on that. As soon as I get the cash, I'm going to replace it along with the tube seals. Can I expect this to happen again? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
It's likely not the oil from the spark plug wells. If the plugs are torqued right, no oil from on top of the plug can leak in. And any oil that gets on the plug or in the cylinders during installation should have burned away long ago.

I would not get worried unless the code returns.

One thing to consider is the plug wires. The OEM plug wires on many a PT Cruiser seem to break down over time. If the car in near 100K and they've never been changed, it may be time.
He already replaced the spark plug wires!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 12 Sep 2015, 10:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yep, plug wires are new. Got them along with the plugs at NAPA. They're 8mm wires with a 5 year warranty on them. I'm not going to worry too much about it unless it comes up again. Then it'll be time for this oldie to start sweating! There's absolutely no ticking from the engine like a bad valve would sound like, it's running great and still has a LOT of get up and go, so I'm thininkg everything else that was mentioned by ptcruisersteve is okay. About the only thing I can think of on that list might be a vacuum leak. I'll try to check for that tomorrow. I think I still have some carb cleaner around here I can use to find it. If not, I've got plenty of WD-40! Anyway, thanks guys. I do appreciate all of your input.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Old 12 Sep 2015, 11:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yo chuzzzzzzz pm me

Please dont replace any more parts until we talk!

For others... The P0300 is a generic ignition error code. That means anything the has to do with igniting the fuel could be at fault.

The steps to varify the DTC should really be the first prder of business.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 12 Sep 2015 at 11:46 pm.
Old 13 Sep 2015, 07:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

PM sent

Old 13 Sep 2015, 09:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
A code P0300 can be caused by:

Faulty spark plugs or wires
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector(s)
Burned exhaust valve
Vacuum leaks
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Faulty camshaft position sensor
Defective computer
Vacuum leaks often caused by intake gaskets

also could be crankshaft sensor..

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Sep 2015, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Post 6 mine I realized I and no one actauly answeredthe original question. Re read my response and the answer is ......very common even with other vehicles.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Sep 2015, 02:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good catch NitroPT

All I did was list all the possible causes of P0300 in my first post. Not what is the most common cause of P0300 so I did not answer the question.

There are two basic types of misfires. First one is one that affects several cylinders equally. The other one is a single cylinder that shows a misfire on one cylinder, such as P0301, cylinder #1 misfire.

Examples of things that can cause multiple misfires:

Fuel restrictions
Air flow restrictions
Bad components that serve all engine cylinders

In order to know what is the most common problem on the PT Cruisers that causes P0300 we would have to know what is the component that serves all engine cylinders that fails the most. Then we would have to ask if this component that we think is bad has been replaced already. As NitroPT says we need to do a proper diagnosis so we are not throwing parts at the PT Cruiser.

In my opinion I would suggest to fix any obvious problems that Chuzz has found whether it causes a single misfire or multi misfire. Then reset the DTC's and see if it comes back.
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 13 Sep 2015 at 02:10 pm.