PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Water Leak on Turbo

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Sep 2015, 04:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Water Leak on Turbo

Okay Guys, I put some water in my GT this morning and everything looked good. Went out a couple of hours later and see a LARGE puddle under it. Dammit! I pull it up on the ramps, slide under and there's coolant all the way from the turbo to the lower radiator hose. The metal pipe from the turbo is covered with coolant and it looks like it's running down from the turbo. I've removed the intake and breather box and had to stop. It's pouring down rain and I don't like working in the rain. Can anyone tell me how the hell to get the hose off the turbo? Looks to me like I'm going to have to remove the turbo to get to the damn hose clamp on it. It's not in a position where I can get a screwdriver to it, no matter how I try. It's turned towards the block! I need to get this sum beech fixed ASAP. How do I get the turbo off? I researched it here and on you tube and can't find diddly. Help a brother out if you can.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 17 Sep 2015, 06:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Water Leak on Turbo

If I remember correctly, they use Brass Crush washers, I don't remember there being a clamp on the rubber part at the turbo, But its been years since I played around with the water cooling at the turbo as it has been deleted in almost all the projects (track only cars)

Competition's paying the price.

03 PT GT. DSI canned tune, Weight redux, MH Racemaster Slicks/Rota Slipstream 15" 11.95 at 118.41mph 1/4 mile
96 SOHC Neon Turbo
08 CSRT4. Realtune MS1K v1 pcm stg0 NSRT4 Injectors.
Old 17 Sep 2015, 07:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Well, hold the phone. I bought a 6 month warranty with this car and just need to find the paperwork. If I can get someone else to fix it under warranty, then I'll just put the stuff back on that I took off and let them do it. I THINK my warranty information is in the glove box, but it won't do me any good tonight, as the warranty company is closed. I've been all over the internet and even checked Cardone Industries and have found very little info. Cardone offers new turbos and they come with a new "improved" line, but they don't sell the oil supply line separate. What's up with that? Anyhow, I'll look in the car in the morning and call about getting it picked up and fixed. Even if I have to spend a hundred bucks out of pocket, it'll be worth it to me.

Old 17 Sep 2015, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

SOLNion is correct. No hose clamps on the water lines on turbo. Uses banjo style fittings with copper crush washers. I would look to the front of the pt. coolant will be blown towards the back of the engine compartment. Do the leak will be at the front toward the radiator. turbo's don't leak coolant as a rule.
SPLNeon likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 17 Sep 2015 at 08:08 pm.
Old 17 Sep 2015, 08:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Well, hold the phone. I bought a 6 month warranty with this car and just need to find the paperwork. If I can get someone else to fix it under warranty, then I'll just put the stuff back on that I took off and let them do it. I THINK my warranty information is in the glove box, but it won't do me any good tonight, as the warranty company is closed. I've been all over the internet and even checked Cardone Industries and have found very little info. Cardone offers new turbos and they come with a new "improved" line, but they don't sell the oil supply line separate. What's up with that? Anyhow, I'll look in the car in the morning and call about getting it picked up and fixed. Even if I have to spend a hundred bucks out of pocket, it'll be worth it to me.
Is the warranty a dealer warranty or an aftermarket warranty?
Old 17 Sep 2015, 10:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Aftermarket warranty. And Nitro, any suggestions on where the hell to start looking? It sure looked to me like the turbo was wet with antifreeze towards the top where you say the banjo strap is. I'll take a closer look in the morning and see if I can get a camera in there to shoot a pic. It sure looks like a large screw clamp to me, but it's kind of a pain in the butt to get a good look. The metal pipe from the turbo to the radiator hose is wet and covered with antifreeze. Kind of freaking me out. Could it possibly be a ruptured heater hose?

Old 17 Sep 2015, 10:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

When I bought my 03 Dream I did what I do with every old car I buy. I check all the belts and hoses and usually replace them all and I did just that BUT I missed the little formed hose that is hidden by the charge air intake hose which connects the turbo coolant to the heater hose pipe. Lucky me it failed about two blocks from home as I was returning home after a hundred mile trip for parts.
My local auto parts store did not have the formed hose so I used my hose stock at home and replaced it with a straight hose much longer to avoid pinching. Has worked fine so far.
My son's 03 GT didn't fail until about a year after mine but it did fail and sprayed to the rear whereas mine was spraying out and down. Take peek at that hose and see how deteriorated it is. It may not be your culprit but it bears looking at anyway because it is a fail point.
By the way, all the hoses on my car were original and I feel good for another five or ten years now.
Old 17 Sep 2015, 11:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There are two different kinds of coolant lines:

(1) one in which there is just a 90* hose that slides onto two hard lines with regular clamps.

(2) one in which there is a 90* hose that is clamped onto two hard lines and the entire length needs to be replaced...

Which one do you have?
Old 18 Sep 2015, 07:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

I'm not sure which I have, Steve. I'll take some photos later today and post them and maybe you can tell me. I've had two brain surgeries and my comprehension is not the best in the world anymore. I got up under it again this morning and it looks like there's a small maybe 3/8" diameter hose that runs from a small pipe near the exhaust up to the turbo that the drip is coming from. The spring clamp doesn't look quite right, but I don't have time to get into it right now. I have to be at an appointment in an hour. Thanks

Old 18 Sep 2015, 10:41 am
Veteran Cruiser

Here are three pictures I shot this morning. Can any of you tell what the heck they are? Looking at the first one, it appears that there MAY be a leak right here. That would be awesome! The last pic is where there's a rigid pipe near the exhaust, to a rubber hose and that looks like it's attached to the back of the turbo with maybe a banjo bolt? Anyone know for sure? That damn thing doesn't look right to me either.

Last edited by chuzz; 18 Sep 2015 at 10:45 am. Reason: bad picture