Advertisements
Purchase a 2006 GT?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Sep 2015, 07:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Purchase a 2006 GT?

Hey All,

I've been looking at cars for around 5-7k$ and a local dealer has a 2006 silver gt with 80k on it for 5500$. from the carfax it has pretty good service records over the years at a chrysler/dodge dealer.

I know forums are full of enthusiasts but are these cars worth buying? too many headaches? thanks
Old 23 Sep 2015, 08:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Purchase a 2006 GT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsvolt13 View Post
Hey All,

I've been looking at cars for around 5-7k$ and a local dealer has a 2006 silver gt with 80k on it for 5500$. from the carfax it has pretty good service records over the years at a chrysler/dodge dealer.

I know forums are full of enthusiasts but are these cars worth buying? too many headaches? thanks
In my opinion I would get a 2005 GT. The 2006 has a history of electrical problems including the TIPM.
Old 23 Sep 2015, 09:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

They changed the electrical system in 2006 to CANbus.
Just like any car, some have problems some don't. My 2006 has been fine.
Busted_PT likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 24 Sep 2015, 07:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies

The local 06 is a manual transmission. the only 05s I can find within 150 miles are auto. I'd prefer manual but could do either if one is more reliable than the other.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 08:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsvolt13 View Post
Thanks for the replies

The local 06 is a manual transmission. the only 05s I can find within 150 miles are auto. I'd prefer manual but could do either if one is more reliable than the other.
I'm a first hen guy. But there several guy here that have had what your looking at with no issues. We will see a higher rate of issues here. Because that's what usually they come here for. To get help and mostly only come back for help. That's cool but that's not all. One perticular guy bought one new. Did many mods and played with it hard. Loved it till he finally bought a new car. BTW the 06 was rated for 10 more hp over the 05. Contrary to internet myth. This was due to PCM calibration from the factory. Just a little bonus upgrade from the previous model year. let us know if you get one.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Sep 2015, 08:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This is one of the websites that compares all the years PT Cruisers on complaints against them.

Chrysler PT Cruiser Problems | CarComplaints.com
Gkon likes this.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 08:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
This is one of the websites that compares all the years PT Cruisers on complaints against them.

Chrysler PT Cruiser Problems | CarComplaints.com
Remember this is as they say a complaint sight. Not nassaraly an accurate sampling of percentages. Based off of those who hunted down this sight to leave their comments. People never say good things to many. Bad news travels fast. Since this was a first year. Service was still getting used to this. So they probably had more people left unsatisfied until they gained more experience with this. Just a thought. Case and point. I'm a small car dealership. Bought a Chevy up lander van. Well looked it up. Had a bad rap. Well turns out mine exhibited every known complaint. Well I fixed all the little issues that it had with out a single part. Most were silly things that were created by working on other things like removing the battery. That caused one of the biggest complaints on the list. A nose on excelerstionor stopping. This was the hardest one. Two bolts ta a cross brace over the battery. Looked tight but if not torqued to speck. It would shif under load. That was the noise. People Lemon lawEd some for this. I sold that van and never had a single complaint. Those complaints were on a sight like this or was this. But when the van was much newer. Point here. All cars have a spot on these kinds of sights. Take with a grain of salt.
LionPT likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Sep 2015, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't recall many threads on electrical problems with 2005 but I sure have with 2006 PT Cruisers. I have one electrical problem with my 2007 but none with my 2008 PT Cruisers.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 06:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I don't recall many threads on electrical problems with 2005 but I sure have with 2006 PT Cruisers. I have one electrical problem with my 2007 but none with my 2008 PT Cruisers.

OP...as you can tell Steve just hates the 2006

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 24 Sep 2015, 06:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
OP...as you can tell Steve just hates the 2006
I like all the years of the PT Cruisers but diagnosing electrical problems is not easy sometimes.
LionPT likes this.